Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You favorite Looking Glass Studio game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jpg

Look at this badass rogue extraordinaire.
Thief: The Dark Project.

Ryzer

Arcane
It goes without saying as it is also the best looking glass game, a game so perfect that no game to date has managed to reach such level of greatness, no other Looking Glass games are close to this quality, I'm obviously talking about the fantastic, the absolute legend, British open Championship Golf game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
SS2. I'd vote Thief Gold, but the way it handles mantling (esp compared to newer games like TDM and Dishonored) always gets on my nerves. If it had TDM's mantling, it would easily be my favourite LGS game.

Dave the Druid

Educated
It goes without saying as it is also the best looking glass game, a game so perfect that no game to date has managed to reach such level of greatness, no other Looking Glass games are close to this quality, I'm obviously talking about the fantastic, the absolute legend, British open Championship Golf game.
I think you've forgotten Looking Glass' true masterpiece:
h6B56tc.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ultima Underworld for the best base game, with System Shock a close second.
Thief 1 or 2 for all the fan missions.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Technically the poll is missing at least one more game, as Looking Glass Studios were formed when two studios merged: Blue Sky Productions (who are only credited with the first Ultima Underworld-game) and Lerner Research.

Only two games are credited to Lerner Research after the merger: Car and Driver and U.S. Navy Fighters - the latter of which has become relevant today, as it "allows players to fly US naval aircraft over Ukraine in a war against Russia." Lerner has a few titles prior to the merger, but they're all flight sims in one form or another.

Autism aside, I can't decide on a single title among these - many of them are top-tier titles, but I also haven't played Strike Force Centauri, so I don't think it would be fair to point out any one title.

Most people can probably guess which titles are in the front running, though.

Fargus

Arcane
Mine is Flight Unlimited 2. While i think Flight Unlimited 1 was a great game the sequel is just better in every regard and a true cult classic. Flight Unlimited 3 was the decline and killed this franchise.

:prosper:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would kill for another "campaign style vehicle sim" like Terra Nova with secret bonus objectives. I feel like this genre is completely dead even though it gave us Wing Commander, Mech Warrior, Earthsiege, Freespace 2, Tie Fighter...

I voted TDP though.

Curratum

This poll is like asking people to choose their favorite id Soft game between Doom, Quake and Catacomb 3D.

Anyone who hasn't voted Thief or SysShock is just a dire hipster.

Modron

Arcane
Voted for British Open Championship Golf as a kingcomrade choice and checked out the screenshots on mobygames to find out there is a town called Troon in Scotland via the Royal Troon Golf Course featured in it. The internet is fun.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are a godlike company, I played all their games. Ultima Underworld was a landmark game. I voted System Shock because it's just so good and I love SS2, I think of them as a pair. There was a major thing I didn't like about them which was the respawn mechanic, one of the games was more strict which I preferred. I can't remember which. But I don't like either when it comes to that, it is half baked. I almost voted Terra Nova because of that, but the SS games were just so good overall and that first game was miles ahead of other games at the time. I also usually hate stories in games but the way it works in that is really good, I wish people would play it in sequence.

Terra Nova I might have voted for if I could remember it better. I remember it being awesome but I think it's only short or I only had a demo or something. If the vote was for, "what would you like some company to dump money into to make a modern sequel", I'd vote that by a mile.

Flight Unlimited I only played for 2 minutes but it was really good, top end flight sim for the time.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Much as I love the entire catalogue I have a special place in my heart for Shock 1. When I was but a wee lad I played the demo over and over until I finally got the CD version into my grimy hands and it was everything I could have hope for and more and all of that in despite the unconventional controls. While the movement and looking around were clunky, there was a logic in how the game handled reloading by forcing the player to dip into their inventory to manually reload their weapons.
I also don't know how a small studio managed to do far better and convincing voice acting than the alleged professionals, but they did it and it puts the remake to shame*. It did a very good job of making me feel like I was alone on a space station full of monsters with a crazy AI bearing down on me the entire time.
*from what I heard in the demo, so don't scream "HURR IT'S NOT OUT YET"

partial to thief 2, cause more thieving... there's few things that are better than thief, i remember playing it as a kid and being sort of mesmerized by it. sadly, i don't really like system shock, 1 or 2. they feel messy tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom