Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Early Access Update: New Location - The Heart

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio

Due to the unexpectedly long time it took to finalize its latest systems update, it's now been six months since a new location was added to the Colony Ship Early Access build. To Iron Tower's credit, today's location update was released only a few days behind schedule on the game's updated roadmap. Players will now have access to the area known as the Heart, home to the ship's fusion reactor and the cult of mutants that tend to it. Here's the announcement:

You can now travel to the mutant town known as the Heart in search of a reactor-grade fuel cell and recruit a mutant companion (one of two mutually exclusive party members) to your cause. Your adventure continues and we take one step closer to the release.

Living and working in the radioactive umbra of the damaged reactor greatly increased mortality rates for the outcasts, but many generations of shortened lives, afflicted with mutations both minor and severe, have resulted in a people fully adapted to the toxic environment.

In the mutants’ earliest days labor was by necessity divided, the men tending to the engines while the women tended to the men as they inevitably sickened and died. Much was asked of these mothers and sisters, and from the beginning they adopted the faith to augment their strength.

Many mutants credit their people's survival on this belief, that another world awaits them after death, a counter to the hellish reality of the reactor. Due to the inescapable radiation poisoning of engine work, only the females lived long enough to take on the role of elder, and to run those aspects of life beyond the perimeter of the engines.

Thus did necessity evolve into tradition, and tradition into law. The females sustain the priesthood and all the sacred duties of religion, while the engine work and protection of the enclave have fallen to the males. Those who aren’t happy with such an arrangement leave the enclave, becoming true outcasts, welcome in neither the Habitat nor the Heart.

What's left to do:

- Hydroponics, Yellow and Red Zones (simulated Proxima environments).

- Mission Control lower levels (that you couldn't explore before). There are two ways in, one's the eye you stole from the Church's vault, the other involves baiting a giant worm known as Ol' Bub as in Beelzebub.

- The Ship's Bridge

- The Endgame

Hydroponics and Mission Control are easy to do as we'll be expanding the existing locations. The Bridge is small by definition, so the hard part is behind us now. Once these locations are done, the level design (a major chunk of work) will be finally done as well and we'll be able to fully focus on the endgame events.

Here's to light at the end of the 6-year long tunnel.​

As mentioned, with the release of this update, the only new locations left to implement are relatively minor in scope. The next update, which will add new content to the Hydroponics and Mission Control areas, is expected by the end of March.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Here's to light at the end of the 6-year long tunnel.

Do we have an estimate on when 1.0 might roll around (sounds like 2023 is within target)? Anybody have an estimate of the % of the full game now playable?

Either way, looking forward to it.

:salute:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Here's to light at the end of the 6-year long tunnel.

Do we have an estimate on when 1.0 might roll around (sounds like 2023 is within target)? Anybody have an estimate of the % of the full game now playable?

Either way, looking forward to it.

:salute:

Yes, 2023 most definitely, around past the mid year. I'd say 75% of the game content is done.

Last edited:

LostHisMarbles

Learned
I once asked Vince about this, don't think i got a reply.

How theroretically ready would you be to re-use the engine after all this?
Assuming a similar type of game of course.
(not a software geek, if engine's the wrong term given it's Unreal at the heart of it.. whatever, you get what i mean)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Due to the unexpectedly long time it took to finalize its latest systems update, it's now been six months since a new location was added to the Colony Ship Early Access build.
The previous update also included 'return to the Pit' and new content, different for each of the 3 leaders, new arena fights, also different based on who's in charge, etc.

(not a software geek, if engine's the wrong term given it's Unreal at the heart of it.. whatever, you get what i mean)
If it's a sequel (i.e. everything stays the same), then we can start right away. If it's a different game, then it depends on what's different about it. Probably 8-12 months.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Due to the unexpectedly long time it took to finalize its latest systems update, it's now been six months since a new location was added to the Colony Ship Early Access build.
The previous update also included 'return to the Pit' and new content, different for each of the 3 leaders, new arena fights, also different based on who's in charge, etc.

If it's a sequel (i.e. everything stays the same), then we can start right away. If it's a different game, then it depends on what's different about it. Probably 8-12 months.

For the sequel, just add horse-mounted combat, everything else stays the same, and call it Elden Colony RingTM :bro:

The ambient soundtrack is amazing, btw! Hope you guys will release it as some point...

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like all of the hints about a sequel when the ship actually lands. Seems like a very interesting setting. But of course I've only seen a part of Colony Ship.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Listen, I love this company, but I'm not playing a fucking thing until it's done. I've bought the game, and will buy a version for my brother's wife and two other friends. But dammit, I don't want spoilers.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
RPGWatch had this slated for a release this month until recently. Glad to see it is almost done. I can't wait to play through the released game.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
I hope the devs are not Putler stans because the game is very interesting from what i've seen and it would be a shame if i'll have to pirate it instead of buying it.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
AoD had great first location, then it all went sideways

200w.webp

Rosey

Novice
Really looking forward to the full release. Only EA game I've simped for in awhile. Id recommend the short story it's based on too for anyone who likes the setting. Children of the Stars I think. Pretty quick read.

Unfortunally their other 2 games run slow as fuck on ubuntu. Hasn't been a problem for me before because graphics are only in shit games but I guess the linux port was some shitty fan made thing and the games just aren't optimized for it. I dont expect CS to run much better but fingers crossed.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope the devs are not Putler stans because the game is very interesting from what i've seen and it would be a shame if i'll have to pirate it instead of buying it.
What if the dev studio was mostly Ukrainian?

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
They can even be fucking martians as long as they don't support Putler's policy. If they are ukrainians, i would buy it no doubt about it.

I like the game and that's why i asked because i wanted to buy it despite the fact that i can play it for free.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
Who the fuck cares about Ukraine in a thread related to a videogame? enough with politics, we all just want to play videogames.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They can even be fucking martians as long as they don't support Putler's policy. If they are ukrainians, i would buy it no doubt about it.
I guess you're in for luck then, at least 3 of them are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom