Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence February Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

Another Age of Decadence development update got posted on ITS.
Short version: the wait is almost over; the demo will be released in 2 weeks.

Long version: I’ve just realized that it’s been seven months since we’ve started testing. It’s hard to believe that it’s been that long, that the fall and the winter seasons are already over. You get so focused on daily tasks, which pile up faster than you can handle them, that you don't really notice how fast time flies. You look back, but you don't really feel it. Only when you actually count the months, you realize - in shock - how long it's taken.

So, 7 months, 1,900 posts in the beta forums, and 12 builds later (Oscar has just uploaded a new update), we're getting ready to release the demo - as public beta - to our audience.

I'd like to use this opportunity to thank our testers (whom I really can't thank enough). Their input has kept us very busy all these months, kept us working/reworking/tweaking/adding/fixing/breaking shit accidentally and fixing again. Looking back, I realize that back in August we gave the testers a very flawed game and they helped us turn it into a game that we're proud to give you now. It's not perfect in any way, but it's solid.

There were a lot of great ideas and suggestions and I wish we could implement them all, but there is only so much four people can do, even in seven months. Special thanks to people who have encouraged us to take more time to get it right.

I hope you’ll enjoy the game.

The new interface looks great.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Two weeks? That's in MARCH.

Hm, will it be possible to drag and move the disparate UI elements around? I don't like having empty corners on the screen, for personal tastes, so let's say if I wanted to shift the text box right to the left hand corner, will I be able to?

Only two weeks? Won't believe it until I see it.
Still, I said years ago that I would buy the game, and it's been only improving since. Not changing my mind now.

Stinger

Arcane
:love:That UI.

How far does the demo cover? First town hub?

TWO FUCKING WEEKS.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Man, it's only February and I was already promissed a Double Fine Old-School Adventure game, A Brian Fargo Wasteland 2 and a AoD Demo! FFS, I'm gonna be so pissed if the world really ends this year...

Black

Arcane
Man, it's only February and I was already promissed a Double Fine Old-School Adventure game, A Brian Fargo Wasteland 2 and a AoD Demo! FFS, I'm gonna be so pissed if the world really ends this year...
The world won't end, the games will probably be bad.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Two weeks?I hopre that's true,of course the Codex will be to busy playing Mass Effect 3 seven times when this is released but still I am optimistic.

The new interface looks good btw:salute:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
That's a pretty slick UI. So will VD be hyping this on other sites like RPS again like he did last time?

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:love::bounce:

I'm with treave on the UI. It looks really good (slick, allows you to access all the important info, but doesn't take up a shitload of space) but the first thing I thought about it was "I wonder if there's any way to drag or expand the text box to the bottom left corner".

Much thanks to Vince and the folks at ITS for giving me hope that a new RPG with good turn based combat, smart game design (that emulates or expands on the design of Fallout) and solid writing is indeed possible. Can't wait to play the demo and the full game.

likaq

Arcane
Much thanks to Vince and the folks at ITS for giving me hope that a new RPG with good turn based combat, smart game design (that emulates or expands on the design of Fallout) and solid writing is indeed possible. Can't wait to play the demo and the full game.

This.

:D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I like the new UI. It's much easier to apply it to different resolutions than a full framed one and you get more game space. Just don't bungle it with windows upon windows and menus upon menus. I await eagerly for the demo.

:thumbsup:

PS: Increasing text size should be an option.

hiver

Ui looks great. Same thought of "i wonder can i expand or push the elements of it around" went immediately through my mind.
If not... maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea for devs to make a few slightly different options, elements position wise?
I do hope they left the other Ui elements for inventory and CS and stuff with those marble/stone pillars and vines....:(

Also, guise, look at more screenshots over at Iron towers thread. Atmosphere seeps all over them - apart from looking gorgeous and great in every way.
Two weeks to go! yay!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm, will it be possible to drag and move the disparate UI elements around? I don't like having empty corners on the screen, for personal tastes, so let's say if I wanted to shift the text box right to the left hand corner, will I be able to?

Oh great. Now the demo just got pushed back to 6 weeks.

Melcar

Arcane
This is like a bad joke now. The UI looks awesome though. And yeah, allow us to move the text box or at least place it in the corner.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No. Technically, it's doable, but we don't have time for it at the moment.

any plans of the full version release?
We plan to release it eventually. I mean, it would be nice, wouldn't it?

:love:That UI.

How far does the demo cover? First town hub?
First town with 2 satellite locations, over 30 quests. More than enough to form an opinion and have some fun wit the demo.

That's a pretty slick UI. So will VD be hyping this on other sites like RPS again like he did last time?
No. It was necessary before to generate some interest and tell people what we're doing and hoping to accomplish. At this stage we'll let the demo speak for itself. I mean, why talk about it when you can show it and let people play it?

I'm well aware that the demo won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I hope that enough people will enjoy it.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Good to see that the interface has been streamlined to be more accessible. This should make the user experience much more grittier.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From the post-preview Q&A:

If you had to estimate, content-wise, how big is Teron in comparison to the main game?

Roughly 25%, but it depends on what you're looking at. There are 20 locations in the game. The demo contains 3 locations:

Teron - a small crumbling town, a raiders camp, and a haunted mine.

So, if you're looking to explore, you have 17 more places to visit.

There are 3 towns in the game - the hubs of activity, factions, and quests. Some of the remaining 15 locations (20 overall minus 3 in the demo minus the other two towns) are similar to the mine and the camp (in a sense that they have people you can interact with), some are multi-level ruins like the tower of Zamedi - where the focus isn't on dealing with people but on exploring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom