Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II Ultimate Edition Retailer Disinterest (lack of interest, i.e. not giving a fuck)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

Sad news for every passionate fan of the Dragon Age series out there, but it seems like there won't be a Dragon Age 2: Ultimate Edition brimming with DLC goodness and expansion packs. Apparently due to lack of retailer interest reveals executive producer Mark Darrah on Twitter.

Retailers have to be willing to take it. There isn't any retail interest ATM.
I can't really understand the lack of interest but I assume it has something to do with the explosions not being awesome enough.

This comes after earlier news that an expansion pack in the works had been canceled already.

And finally, while we will still be keeping an eye out for any issues that might crop up in DAII and supporting the community should any emergencies should arise, we’re moving the entire team’s focus to the next phase of Dragon Age’s future.
They even had shirts:
We did have plans for an expansion pack to DA2 but, other DA opportunities came up. There were even shirts! It was called Exalted March.
What can you do, life goes on. The mourning will be brief.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Such a tragedy.

So what's the explanation for no ME2 Ultimate?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm kinda wondering what they will do differently in DA3. It will be interesting to see what conclusions EA have drawn from the DA2 trainwreck.

Dexter

Arcane
I'm kinda wondering what they will do differently in DA3. It will be interesting to see what conclusions EA have drawn from the DA2 trainwreck.

Don't worry, EA got this, after going for the Call of Duty audience all this time that might have proven like a mistake, but don't despair because apparently there was some game that supposedly sold rather well they are going after next, "Skyrim" I think they called it: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/dragon-age-3/ , whatever could go wrong?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Don't worry, EA got this, after going for the Call of Duty audience all this time that might have proven like a mistake, but don't despair because apparently there was some game that supposedly sold rather well they are going after next, "Skyrim" I think they called it: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/dragon-age-3/ , whatever could go wrong?

Thing is, DA2 wasn't like Call of Duty. In fact, I'm not sure what game they were trying to imitate there (possibly some unholy hybrid of WoW and God of War?)

circ

Arcane
“[The next Dragon Age] is gonna have the best of features from the prior Dragon Age games, but it’s also gonna have a lot of things I think players are gonna find compelling from some of the games that are out now that are doing really well with more of an open world feel,” Muzyka said.

BIOWARE OPENWORLD BIOWARE OPENWORLD BIOWARE
AWESOMEEEEEEE

This is going to be a 500 page thread of awesome.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
738px-A_Frenchman_weeps_as_German_soldiers_march_into_the_French_capital%2C_Paris%2C_on_June_14%2C_1940%2C_after_the_Allied_armies_ha_-_NARA_-_535892.jpg

Koniad: First they took my beloved Pony then this! :x WHY!!!

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
DA2 was simply too hardcore for modern gamers; the game became failure mostly bacause now there is too few players interested in such chalenging game with complex combat mechanics, complicated plot and mature, almost naturalistic creation of characters and world. We can only hope DA3 won't be streamlined and simplified for the casual audience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
“[The next Dragon Age] is gonna have the best of features from the prior Dragon Age games, but it’s also gonna have a lot of things I think players are gonna find compelling from some of the games that are out now that are doing really well with more of an open world feel,” Muzyka said.

AWESOMEEEEEEE

An open world game from a company with zero (if not negative) experience in crafting open worlds. This should be good.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

AWESOMEEEEEEE

This will be MAJESTIC AS FUCK Broad Scope of Bioware combined with Depth of Bethpizda Titles.... 10/10 GOTY :mhd:

Black

Arcane

AWESOMEEEEEEE

An open world game from a company with zero (if not negative) experience in crafting open worlds. This should be good.

Eh, bethesda has been crafting "open world" games since what, 1996? And they're still shite, so maybe it's one of those situations were experience doesn't matter!

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
DA2 was simply too hardcore for modern gamers; the game became failure mostly bacause now there is too few players interested in such chalenging game with complex combat mechanics, complicated plot and mature, almost naturalistic creation of characters and world. We can only hope DA3 won't be streamlined and simplified for the casual audience.
This is what biodrones actually believe btw.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"An open world game from a company with zero (if not negative) experience in crafting open worlds. This should be good. "

BIO had no experience in games when they amde SS and MDK2. They had no experience in making RPGs when they made BG. They had no MP experience when they made NWN. They had no MMO experience when they made KOTOR MMO. Oh yeah, they've beena round for almost 20 years despite that 'lack of experience'. LMFAO

p.s. DA2 is as good as DA1. Anyonw whinks otherwise is overrating DA1. R00fles!

Black

Arcane
They had no experience in making RPGs when they made BG. They had no MP experience when they made NWN. They had no MMO experience when they made KOTOR MMO.

All of those things show in their, uh, products.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, they're probably going to say, "We want Skyrim's audience," but only make extremely shallow changes to make it more like an open-world game. They'll probably also add some minor complexity to stats and equipment in order to appease the hardcore fans, which wouldn't work even if it were genuine at this point, just like ME3 had. They've also said they're bringing back the ability to change party member's armor, but they haven't decided how to implement that, so that's probably a sign that they're going to do something incredibly stupid with regards to that feature.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, they're probably going to say, "We want Skyrim's audience," but only make extremely shallow changes to make it more like an open-world game. They'll probably also add some minor complexity to stats and equipment in order to appease the hardcore fans, which wouldn't work even if it were genuine at this point, just like ME3 had. They've also said they're bringing back the ability to change party member's armor, but they haven't decided how to implement that, so that's probably a sign that they're going to do something incredibly stupid with regards to that feature.

I think the idiots already admitted they'd let you dress up companions without their physical appearance changing in any way (which totally defeats the purpose of amusing Biodrone dress-up LARPers)

But that was a while ago so maybe things have changed. The impression I got back then is that Bioware are obsessed with making cinematic scenes as easy to make as possible (which is understandable considering their games have so fucking many of them). That means removing clothing variations that might make said scenes glitch up in some manner. And also limiting the places you can talk to your characters to designated conversation zones.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"All of those things show in their, uh, products. "

Very successful products. R00fles!

RPGMaster

Savant
Not surprising considering retailers are still trying to shift their remaining stock of DA2 at next to nothing prices.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So what's the explanation for no ME2 Ultimate?
Greed.

Obviously, Bioware is circling the drain. Their only hope may be to piggyback on Brian Fargo's runaway success with Wasteland 2 and create a top-down, fixed perspective, party-based tactical RPG. :obviously:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"But, but...Volly said that DAII was an awesum success! Why aren't EA taking advantage of those millions of copies sold(in)?"
They're brainwahsed by the blind rage by the moronic monkies whining like little babies. DA2 sold a 2mill+ in a month. That's a success. Period.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"But, but...Volly said that DAII was an awesum success! Why aren't EA taking advantage of those millions of copies sold(in)?"
They're brainwahsed by the blind rage by the moronic monkies whining like little babies. DA2 sold a 2mill+ in a month. That's a success. Period.

R00fles...they SOLD-IN 2 million copies. In other words, EA sent out 2 million copies of this turd to retailers, not that it sold that many.

But let's just for arguments sake accept your figure. For a cross platform title with the budget it had it's a fucking pathetic amount. The Witcher 2 with a paltry budget and released on just the PC has sold over a million copies. The first Witcher game was made with an even smaller budget and has sold over 1.5 million copies just on PC. Had The Witcher series been released on consoles they would have fucking annihilated not only DA2, but probably approached or even exceeded DA:O as well.

How many copies did DA2 sell on PC even taking your fanciful figures as reality? 200k? THAT'S the true measure of how successful the game was from a PC gamers point of view. It was a fucking failure of epic proportions.

The fact that EA has decided to cut its losses by cancelling an expansion and no-one wants to even consider stocking a DA2 ultimate edition tells all about how well it really sold. Seems that retailers haven't even been able to shift this 2 million stock in a year, they don't want their shelves cluttered with more crap.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"But let's just for arguments sake accept your figure. For a cross platform title with the budget it had it's a fucking pathetic amount. "

DA2 didn't have a big budget. It was a project thatw as made quick as a cash grab. It sold 2mil in a month. PC sales are fukkin' irrleevant in the big sciope of things. I have a PC yet I don't buy games on the PC b/c PC sucks as a gaming unit.

TW is shit. Plaina nd shit. And, last i checked, TTwitcher company are hanging on for dear life.

Also, DA1 PC sales weren't exactly impressive either but, again, nobody really gives a shit about PC sales in the grand scheme of things outside of retarted MMOs.

R00fles fukkin' r00fles!

Gte your face out of Twitcher azzes. Maybe, they'll make Twitcher 2.7654. L0LZ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom