Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II Ultimate Edition Retailer Disinterest (lack of interest, i.e. not giving a fuck)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So BG1 would've been an open-world game if cloakwood and the city itself would've been accessible from the start, but since they put in those 2 restrictions means they don't have any experience doing open-world games?
Pretty much, though people probably still wouldn't have called it an "Open world" game because it has distinct areas. It's really more of a marker for a particular style of game than a term with any real meaning.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I find it amusing that the gayer the bio games have gotten the less the fans have enjoyed them.

Skyrim sold 10,000,0000,000 copies and there was no sodomy to be found.

DraQ

Arcane
So BG1 would've been an open-world game if cloakwood and the city itself would've been accessible from the start, but since they put in those 2 restrictions means they don't have any experience doing open-world games?
There is more. Notice how your geographical progression ties into your plot progression, for example - you enter Nashkel - bam! chapter 2.

Plot progression brings with it changes in the gameworld that may be otherwise unrelated - plot is the primary motor of change, even if there is no causal relation between changes and plot. This isn't even a criticism (Cloakwood being unavailable, OTOH, is), this is simple observation - this kind of structure isn't a structure of an open world game, it's a structure of a plot-driven one.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I find it amusing that the gayer the bio games have gotten the less the fans have enjoyed them.

I'm not sure that particular bit of post hoc logic holds up under scrutiny, but who am I to question.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yte newer BIo agmes are hell of a lot more ppopualr tyhan the the BG games ever fukkin'w ere. LMFAO

BG sells 2mil over a life time = awesome best game ever

DA2 sellls 2mil in one month = finanical failure?

Even with the differenc ein budgets NO FUCKKIN' WAY

The sales were fine.... but the crybaby internet gets it way.

BIO's biggest weakness has ALWAYS been that they listen to the stupid 'fans' way too fukkin' much. LMFAO

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ME3 ending is worst ever (nah, BG1 is 10x worse but lol it came first lol) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

P.S. PC gaming is overrated. It's shit. PC gaming is the reason why Betehsda and their shitty ES series exists. FFS THat is EPIC FUKKIN' FAIL

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Someone hasn't been paying much attention to Mr. Fargo and his views on publishers not to mention his on parallel to most others on this website.

Mass appeal does not = better game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Your new here Brayko and so I want to give you some advise. Arguing with the Pretty Princess is a no win situation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Fargo is a proven idiiot.

"Mass appeal does not = better game. "

Maybe not. But, totally irreleavnt to the discussion.

Dexter

Arcane
It's amazing that he keeps using that "2 million in a month" figure, since Dragon Age 2 came out on March 8th and there's an official Press Release by EA from April 6th saying it "hits 1 million":
http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/05/pc-mass-effect-2-now-free-with-dragon-age-ii/ (and they also bundled it with Mass Effect 2 at that point to try to pad sales of both DA2 and Mass Effect 2 in some kind of desperation move).

And there's sales figures:

DA2DAO-2.jpg

It takes a special kind of perfidious dedication to make an account and write over 15.000 posts to troll a forum that you can't help but admire though. M:

hakuroshi

Augur
You have to admit that Volourn is almost always right in his own perverse ways.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'm kinda wondering what they will do differently in DA3. It will be interesting to see what conclusions EA have drawn from the DA2 trainwreck.
More romanceable characters, more particle effects, less challenge, more cut-scenes, over-the-hip-camera, more gore, less unique areas, more epic story, more actiony combat :troll:

Nah, the Biotards hated DA2 because it was tongue-in cheek self-ironic. If DA2 is self-ironic that must mean they mock the fan who takes it seriously. The gay-lesbian community doesn't like being mocked :troll:

Nah, seriously, manager-types are hard learners and have to fail several times before the lesson comes through (if ever). They'll probably stay true to their original course and really do most of the stuff above.

sigma1932

Augur

Except for what Bethe$duh does to the people who fall for their marketing bullshit and pay for their crap...

Bulba

Learned

Which planet are you living at? even if every human being, including newborn, would buy a copy half of them would still be unsold. Since 3/4 of the world live half starved the maximum that can be sold = 1 000 000 000/4(people per family) = 250 000 000 - now take away pirates and all from this number and here is your market.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not exactly true there are ''Homo Marriages'' option there.... Although not 1/10 as featured as LGBTfeast Biowhore games had been since DA0.... Skyrim is popular couse it did some things right (hike simulator part)... Well polished 6/10 Turd this time which don't make you vomit like new Biowhorian games no more no less.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And there's sales figures:"

'sALES FIGURES' MORE LIKE IT.. M I RITE OR M I RITE? L0L

Shannow

Waster of Time
"ME3 has plenty of flaws."

:eek: Damn. I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.
1) Volly describes Bio games as great and best RPGs, incredibly successful, etc, but I don't think he ever claimed they were perfect.
2) That being said, he had a short phase after DA2 was released when he was just as :rage:as the other Bio-fanboys. That stopped as soon as the codex started predicting Bioware's imminent demise because of DA2. Then he suddenly did a 180° and now you won't hear anything bad about DA2 out of him anymore.

I like to see Volly as a force of nature. Nature strives for balance, and so Volly tries to balance out all the codex vitriol and moronity (let's be honest here) towards Bioware. Of course, our stupidity is spread across a few hundred members so he has to be as stubborn and stupid as a few hundred people together. He's doing a valiant effort, IMO.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure that particular bit of post hoc logic holds up under scrutiny, but who am I to question.

Some people can avoid other types of people, both in game and in RL. No wonder some people will avoid games famous for gay, etc. content.

Rhalle

Magister
Dragon Age II Ultimate Edition Retailer Disinterest

"Disinterest" does not mean "lack of interest". They are different.

:obviously:

Rhalle

Magister
1. Is the correct one. It means impartiality.

2. i.e. "lack of interest" is the common misconception or corruption.

I have this on the authority of the the former head of the University of Iowa Creative Writing Department, because it's a mistake that I once made.

:obviously:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Those words and expressions exist in german too. Interest=Interesse, Disinterest=Desinteresse, Lack of Interest=Mangel an Interesse.
Mangel an Interesse can be used synonymously for Desinteresse. Given the similarity of english and german I have no reason to believe it's any different in english, especially since a quick internet research confirmed it. You can tell the former head of the creative writers of the hillbilly uni of Iowa that he can suck my dick.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Europeans lecturing Americans on the proper use of the English language.

M:

also: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
That's not lecturing. More like denial, perhaps even disinterest. (lack of interest)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom