Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Fargo and Co to party like it's 1988 + New 30$ tier

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Like Double Fine before them, InXile Entertainment will be live streaming the last bit of the crowdfunding campaign. Maybe MCA will pop in and dance a jig - who knows?

Live streaming party Monday night at 12am EST. Nolan Bushnell among others will be with us. (link for you young ones) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell

In other related news, Fargo is looking to add more incentives for the 30$ tier pledge.

Does anyone have any good ideas for getting people to upgrade from 15 tier to 30? Would be nice to get largest group up a notch.​
It would need to be a non physical thing we added to the $30 tier for these purposes.​

If you're one of those "social media gurus", I suppose you can "tweet" your ideas "at" BrianFargo.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Maybe a video of a shirtless MCA doing press-ups. I'm sure we'd have dozens of codexers pledging for that.

Deleted member 7219

Maybe a video of a shirtless MCA doing press-ups. I'm sure we'd have dozens of codexers pledging for that.

I want to see Chris Avellone do the Drago bits in this:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Brian Fargo said:
Does anyone have any good ideas for getting people to upgrade from 15 tier to 30? Would be nice to get largest group up a notch.
With PROPAGANDA:​
wasteland victory bond.png
Original

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That won't be enough. And the perk was already controversial enough. I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING in-game, backer-exclusive stuff just doesn't sit well with people.

Funny thing is, I remember talking to him well prior to KS going up, and noting how huge the $30 tier was for DFA (both $30 and $15 raised about $750K). I think it might be too late to get a huge increase now, but I mailed him my ideas, which is mostly adding an exclusive pre-release glimpse of the game in the form of screenshots our soundtrack samples, or exclusive hi-res backgrounds, or exclusive "making of" videos (not to the extent DFA did it). It will all leak but it's the idea that counts.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I don't see what the big deal is as long as it doesn't affect game balance but whatever people are gonna piss and moan about something, including me pissing and moaning about people pissing and moaning. :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING in-game, backer-exclusive stuff just doesn't sit well with people.

Don't they already have statue building and items and whatever added by high tier backers?
Is really giving some of the players an extra item (like they do with pre-orders for pretty much any game now) worse than having ALL players live with whatever crap the high tier backers wanted to add? Of course, it's unlikely that the high tier backers are some Bio/Beth teenage retards. At least I hope so. But all this WE PUT U IN GAEM stuff is still really dumb.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Don't they already have statue building and items and whatever added by high tier backers?

Yeah. Which I'm not a big fan of either, especially at that amount, but it's not really the same since people who preorder the game still get to play the same game as someone who donated $10K (excepting the quirky skill).

I don't say I feel strongly either way about it myself, but the fact is people have been conditioned to hate pre-order exclusives because of the way EA and their ilk raped it up the ass. There was a minor shitstorm when the first KS draft made public proposed "an exclusive skill and weapon" which is why they reduced it to skill and noted it is just quirky, not gamebalance affecting. Shadowrun's recent addition of a backers-only exclusive mission if they hit $1.5M doesn't seem to sit well either. It's just a questioning of marketing. Since the general response to these kind of pre-order/pledge exclusives isn't too good, don't do them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My tweet to him, which he completely ignored

Brayko's Tweet said:
A custom-made yet not-more-powerful-than-the-normal starting weapon(s) specially designed for $30+ backers?

Special in-game items for certain people are retarded.

Spectacle That's pretty cool, but how about something more codexian like:

"Fight the good fight with your voice (an wallet)!

Bring us back the cRPG genre we know and love back to the people and the developers who want to make them"

Black

Arcane
Maybe W2 a week before non-backers?
This is as terrible as the country you live in.
It's amusing to see so many individuals suddenly being okay with what is basically pre-order dlc and bonuses.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't say I feel strongly either way about it myself, but the fact is people have been conditioned to hate pre-order exclusives because of the way EA and their ilk raped it up the ass.

I thought people got used already with this shit.

What actually still stops me from backing this is high tier backers adding stuff in the game, since it gives the impression that they don't have any defined vision and they just add whatever comes. Of course, Wasteland 1 also had plenty of stupid whacky quirky stuff in it so maybe that wouldn't be straying too far.

Anyway, I wonder if those rewards are really needed. Is it about supporting the game or about such a terrible need to stroke your ego by getting your shit in the game. This pretty much shows you have absolutely no regard for the game itself.
Speaking of which, I denounce the initiative to add a location or whatever in the game as the worst thing the Codex ever did. If the Codex is interested in helping fund, the Codex can do that without ego stroking.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
My tweet to him, which he completely ignored

Brayko's Tweet said:
A custom-made yet not-more-powerful-than-the-normal starting weapon(s) specially designed for $30+ backers?
Brayko-bro, why are you propagating the decline like that, check how Shadowrun is doing with their "exclusive" rewards.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1580

InXile wants to add more ranger portraits for $30+ backers, which is no more incline than merely having the normal starting weapons etched with something more artistic and aesthetic for backers and NOT balance or mechanic altering. Both good ideas, BTW, and do not affect how the game plays on a mechanical level.

I don't see individual rewards being an incentive here. Fact of the matter is that 95% of people who donate probably only care about getting the game, most donations above that are because the person actually wants to donate money, not to get the rewards.

To that end, I think supplying more preview material and interviews RIGHT NOW, along with setting another overall goal (500k more = do something new) would be the best solution.

EDIT: Oh nvm, only 2 days left. Though it was closer to a week. Kind of late to do anything, I doubt word would get around quickly enough to substantially affect much.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1580

Thread needs moar HELL NO votes...

"I'll let the poll run another hour or so and then incorporate results into KS and an update. I could not imagine developing any other way."

Reminds me of this shit: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/buying-all-of-mass-effect-3s-dlc-will-cost-you-870/

Just give everyone the whole fucking game ffs...

Oh god. All those YES votes. What the fuck is wrong with people.
What is the point of having that additional shit only for backers.

So a person buying the game when it's released instead, gets to have less in-game content simply because he wasn't one of the special people that pre-ordered? Fuck that shit, it's gay as hell.
Heres an idea. Why not, you know, have those additional portraits, implemented into the base game instead, available for everyone? Just a thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom