Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry 6-8 Released on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: GOG; Sir-Tech; Wizardry; Wizardry 8; Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge; Wizardry VII: Crusaders Of The Dark Savant

Good news for oldschool RPG fans! The latter three titles in the classic Wizardry series, which together comprise the Dark Savant trilogy, have been been released for digital distribution for the first time ever over at GOG.com. For $6, you can get a pack that contains both Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, the latter in both its original DOS version as well as the controversially "enhanced" Windows-compatible Gold version. The final game in the series, Wizardry 8, is available separately for $10.

A hearty thanks to GOG for making these titles available for purchase for the first time over in a decade. Unfortunately, due to decades-long legal proceedings by series co-creator Andrew C. Greenberg, I'm not sure if we'll ever see the first five Wizardry games (which he worked on) released in the same way. Now, when are you guys going to get the Gold Box games?

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
:love::love::love:

I'm so going to replay this as soon as I stop rejoicing.

Also, dem bonuses :) I have never owned these games. Tis the first time I see the manuals and maps and cluebooks.
There's a hilarious order form in the cluebook. Apparently Wiz6 cost 60 bucks back then and you could also order Dark Savant T-shirt AND Wizardry Hat for just 9,95!

Bruticis

I see they put a shout out and link to the codex as well, you'd think they'd know better.

Black

Arcane
A shame it doesn't put money into sirtech's pockets but it's a rare opportunity to get legit Wizardries.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What are the reasons to prefer one version of Wizardry 7 other the other? Do they make changes to the encounter design, the character progression, the lore, or is it just about technical aspects?
The Gold version was optimized fro W95 and is, let's say, slightly buggy on modern systems (text scrolling to quickly to be readable, stuff like that).

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
What are the reasons to prefer one version of Wizardry 7 other the other? Do they make changes to the encounter design, the character progression, the lore, or is it just about technical aspects?
The Gold version was optimized fro W95 and is, let's say, slightly buggy on modern systems (text scrolling to quickly to be readable, stuff like that).

The scrolling text bugs are fixed in our version of the game :P

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've never played Wiz Gold before. I've just tried it and - it's a gigantic pile of unplayable crap.
The whole game runs in a weird windowed mode, the screen is tiny, the opening sequence is apparently only partially skippable, everything reacts with incredibly annoying delay and worst of all - the music. They changed the original Wiz7 music, one of the most epic ever, to some sort of silly synthpop.

I have no idea just WHAT they were trying to accomplish with this version but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be sick.
I can't imagine why would anyone play this over the original.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No shit. What else is fixed (in all of the games, not just WizGold)?

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No Arnhem? weak

I'll buy this if they've fixed Wizardry Gold, if it's just a straight dosbox I can do that myself...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I've never played Wiz Gold before. I've just tried it and - it's a gigantic pile of unplayable crap.
The whole game runs in a weird windowed mode,
Use 640x480 or 800x600.
They changed the original Wiz7 music, one of the most epic ever, to some sort of silly synthpop.
Really? I thought they used the same music.
I have no idea just WHAT they were trying to accomplish with this version but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be sick.
I can't imagine why would anyone play this over the original.
Pretty graphics.

Also it had annoying bug with unused skill points and completely broken identify.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
GOG could actually provide Stones of Arnhem bonus materials together with Wizardry 8. It was supposed to be the original Wizardry VIII after all. Ask the people who bought things in the auction to scan and send them.

Overboard

Arcane
I'd never seen the Wizardry Gold portraits before, it being released after I'd stopped playing Wiz7, but having seen them now I believe this picture expresses how I feel:

event-horizon.jpg

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

No shit. What else is fixed (in all of the games, not just WizGold)?

I personally don't recall anything else popping up bugs-wise with the games but keep in mind that I don't deal with the technical side (programming, compatibility fixing etc., etc.). Hope that helps :D.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wizardry 8 is the only decent one in the series.

In before

:hmmm:
I don't like you and your taste, good sir. (Note that I believe 8 is good, but it's by no means unique in that regard)

Also:
:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom