Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher 3 Previews at GameBanshee

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

In the wake of E3, a whole bunch of previews for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have appeared across the web. Once again, our friends at GameBanshee have done the hard work of collating them all. Here are two of the more interesting ones.

Shacknews:

Geralt has fully regained his memory, meaning the in-game Bestiary now catalogs every creature he has run into in his travels since he was a boy. Using a new ability called Witcher Sense, he can track beasts and creatures through clues uncovered in the game world. In the demo, the Sense was shown off when Geralt needed to identify a beast that had been terrorizing a village so he could determine the payment he'd deserve. As he travelled the woods, activating the sense gave him clues--highlighted in red--as to the beast's strength, habits and traits. Once these were known, the bestiary could be used to identify the creature, as well as its special abilities and ways to defeat it.​

The idea behind the bestiary is to capitalize on the monster hunting aspect of a witcher. It gives the player another area of expertise, as well as a way to earn experience through completing monster kill quests. There will be about 80 new monsters in the game, two of which were shown off the the demo. These beasts required more dodging and special attacks to take them down than just whacking them with a sword. The goal was to give each of these monsters the feel of an epic fight, without being a boss battle.​

The demo showed off some of the moral grey choices that the player will need to make, similar to the previous games. In the village quest, discovering the beast forced Geralt to choose between siding with village elders to preserve this "spirit," or listening to the younger villagers who wanted the beast killed. Choosing one side led to the an unforeseen massacre. But another choice led to a different, but equally dark and unfortunate result.​

IGN:

Each area of The Witcher 3's open world has its own visual signature, with different architecture, climates and natural beauty. The Skellige islands, where this demo takes place, have a Nordic feel to them – its countryside is rugged, its mountains snow-capped. Geralt walks through a city built on a cliffside, the sun beating down on Skyrim-like wooden houses. The inhabitants, dressed in furs and horned helmets, go about their day, out in the sunshine, chatting, swearing and complaining in Irish accents. On rainy days, they'll stay inside. NPCs have their own lives in The Witcher 3 – they gather together to travel and go hunting, working to individual schedules. If you wanted, you could follow them around.​

This one island, Ard Skellig, is evidently bigger than the entirety of The Witcher 2's world. As Geralt stands on the edge of the cliff you can see far, far into the distance. He boards a pulley-powered wooden platform that takes him down the side of the mountain to the coastline below, and I saw boats leaving the harbour for the sea, oars driving through the waves, and stone buildings hewn out of the mountainside. At the harbour, fishermen are working. After walking along the harbour, Geralt boards a boat of his own and sets out for another island – when he gets out to open sea, a whale's tail emerges from the deep and slaps against the surface of the water. On a stormy day, our demonstrator says, the small craft would be dashed against the rocks, making boat travel ill-advised. All of this is totally seamless. There's no loading at all.​

Out in the wilds, you'll come across things that you can choose to investigate, or not. It's not like Bethesda's world, where new locations are often mini-dungeons that you can enter; everything lives on the map itself. You can see settlements, lone buildings, ruins, forests and plenty else off the paths, feeding the impulse to explore. The Witcher 3 doesn't do quest markers, at least not right now. CD Projekt Red wants players to be driven by their own inquisitiveness. With such a huge map, it needs to be well-populated with things to do; our demonstrator explains that there will be a combination of random events and plentiful written side-stories to take part in.​

No quest markers! I imagine there's a good chance they'll be added eventually, but it's a great sign that the game is being developed without using them as a crutch.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Mixed week overall for CD Projekt, great reception from the fans at E3 for the Witcher 3, then they are faced with supporting a DRM heavy system while maintaining DRM-less is the way to go and then Poland not being included in the xbox one release country list.

JANKOhrp

Novice
I really could not care less about what they do or don't on consoles, as long as they enforce their stance where it matters. Upholding the principle of the matter is hardly a concern on devices that are closed off and restricted by definition.

hiver

I really could not care less about what they do or don't on consoles, as long as they enforce their stance where it matters. Upholding the principle of the matter is hardly a concern on devices that are closed off and restricted by definition.
Exactly.

All im hearing so far seems good. Really good.
Im starting to wish they didnt piss me off so much with their previous multiple shenanigans.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Hero Geralt can explore the open world of The Witcher 3 in new ways, too. He can jump now, and he can climb. It's "not exactly" the climbing you'd find in a game like Assassin's Creed, said Badowski, "it's similar to what we have in Uncharted". "For example," he added, "climb up and there are special sequences, there are special animations built into the system."​
That's mixed with freer physics-based rambling. "You can go wherever you want, you can travel wherever you want," he said. "There are no invisible barriers in the world; you can jump down from the cliff and simply die."​

Latter part seems good but I have no idea how it works in Uncharted as I've never played.​

hiver

At one point, Geralt sat by a campfire in order to pass time. Rather than popping into a loading screen, the camera spun around a meditating witcher while the world advanced through cycles of day and night and weather.
The environment went from partly cloudy to raining and severely windy.
Nice. Again.

:x

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not all sunshine and teddy bears, though.

From GameFront's preview:

Geralt is deadlier than ever in The Witcher 3. Of note: the camera is closer, giving combat a more intimate feel, and Geralt now has a combat stance, slowing his movement as he navigates through battle. It also felt less frantic and more tactical, as Geralt picked his points to parry and attack the three bandits at the most opportune times. CDP notes they’ve also tweaked enemy AI so groups of bad guys won’t be so helpful in attacking Geralt one at a time, but from this particular battle, it still appeared as if enemies favor individual fights over coordinated group attacks.
Even smaller FOV during combat.
CDP 'improved' enemy groups AI so they now attack one at a time, Hollywood-style.

Bandits dispatched, Geralt knocked on the door, informing the resident his troubles were over. The man thanked the witcher, but pointed out Geralt now had a new enemy, a powerful bandit leader who would inevitably seek revenge.
A powerful bandit leader is apparently an ex-Skyrim psychic guard and will immediately know that Geralt killed his men and take revenge.

But overall, there is more :incline: than :decline: so far.

There will be immediate as well as long-term consequences to just about every decision a player makes — even if you’re just popping off the trail to do a seemingly quick good deed. It’s worth pointing out that these choices appear somewhat limited. In this particular case, it was: attack the bandits or let them do their thing. There was no option to lend a hand and kick down the guy’s door, potentially earning the bandit’s favor and a future ally.
Geralt may not be a straight good guy, but wouldn't help such bandits in any case, so limited choice here makes sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We don't know the details of that quest - perhaps the bandit leader would have a way of knowing.

Latter part seems good but I have no idea how it works in Uncharted as I've never played.​

Pretty sure they just mean contextual - you can't climb anywhere you want. Like they said, open world but non-sandbox.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The jumping is similar to Tomb Raider, but more linear. There are certain ledges and objects that can be grabbed

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Geralt is deadlier than ever in The Witcher 3. Of note: the camera is closer, giving combat a more intimate feel, and Geralt now has a combat stance, slowing his movement as he navigates through battle. It also felt less frantic and more tactical, as Geralt picked his points to parry and attack the three bandits at the most opportune times. CDP notes they’ve also tweaked enemy AI so groups of bad guys won’t be so helpful in attacking Geralt one at a time, but from this particular battle, it still appeared as if enemies favor individual fights over coordinated group attacks.
Even smaller FOV during combat.
CDP 'improved' enemy groups AI so they now attack one at a time, Hollywood-style.
Lower FOV is bad. Here's hoping it'll be adjustable.
But the attack pattern should be improved over the W2 one, that's how I've understood it. Maybe they haven't nailed it down as yet but I'm glad they're working on it.

Bandits dispatched, Geralt knocked on the door, informing the resident his troubles were over. The man thanked the witcher, but pointed out Geralt now had a new enemy, a powerful bandit leader who would inevitably seek revenge.
A powerful bandit leader is apparently an ex-Skyrim psychic guard and will immediately know that Geralt killed his men and take revenge.
Nah, that could be just a warning in the sense: "You know, now that you've dispatched those bandits their leader will go after you." Which is perfectly fine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mixed week overall for CD Projekt, great reception from the fans at E3 for the Witcher 3, then they are faced with supporting a DRM heavy system while maintaining DRM-less is the way to go and then Poland not being included in the xbox one release country list.
The "backlash" over the DRM thing is one of the more retarded DRM-related outrages lately (and boy, is there a thick competition in that particular field). Seriously, I don't exactly love DRM but those guys are fanatics. Fucking DRM mullahs. They don't just hate DRM in their own games, they also hate it in games they'll never buy and never play. :roll:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
gullich_solo_zak02.jpg

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Any word on fixing alchemy? It was ridiculous that potion timers ticked down during cutscenes that were sometimes longer than the potion duration!

Tigranes

Arcane
Why is that man dressed like a prehistoric man and then wearing state of the art shoes?

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The smaller FOV is retarded, TW2 was terrible and I can't imagine how bad it will be in TW3. Hopefully they will fix it.

Is the low FOV due to console limitations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom