Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Pushed Back to February 28, Swen Vincke Explains the Risks

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Larian have pushed back the release of their crowdfunded turn-based RPG Divinity: Original Sin from this Fall to February 2014. They've even given us the exact release date - February 28, despite Swen Vincke's recent announcement that he'd never "commit to a release date" until his games are 100% ready to ship.

We are very determined to implement all the extra features gained through stretch goals the way they should be implemented, which essentially means that we want to incorporate them in the story, the world and the gameplay mechanics.

This is taking us more time than we originally thought, and so, rather than cancelling a feature or a goal, we decided to move the release of Divinity: Original Sin from this fall (as originally announced) to this winter, specifically to February 28th 2014.

We realize this may be disappointing for some people who had hoped the game would still come out this year, but really, we think you'll have a much better RPG experience when everything we wanted to put in, is actually going to be in.

For backers that have Alpha access, expect to have the rough and rugged version of Original Sin by November. Beta should be your New Year's present in January!

What are they thinking?

For those interested in the details of the how and why, check out Swen's brand new blog entry, in which he explains his thoughts on postponing the release of Divinity: Original Sin.​

Apparently it's a pretty risky decision for Larian, according to the above mentioned blog post:

... implicit within the announcement is the message that we’re going to be investing much more in Divinity: Original Sin than we already invested, and thus increase our risk significantly. Releasing in February means we’re adding four to five months of extra development time, and the plan is to have pretty much our entire team work on it, together with a couple of outsourcers. Given that there are around 40 people in our team, that’s quite an increase for DOS’ final price tag. ... One big downside of delaying the game is that it’s not out now and that we can’t work on other things I planned for. This is something that could potentially have quite an impact on our studio, because it means that should DOS fail, we won’t have many fallback options, as nothing else will be in production. Of course, there’s always the plan B that is to do work for hire, but if you read my older blog entries, you’ll know that’s a trap I’d rather avoid.​

Good luck, Swen; it looks like you'll need it.

Monty

Arcane
This was inevitable with all those stretch goals (and 'Kodex Kontent'?).

4 or 5 extra months of 40 people is a big commitment though so I hope it works out for them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They need to synchronize release schedules with Wasteland 2 to avoid launching at the same time.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm okay with this. The level of complexity the stretch goals brought on the game is large, let them take their time.

They need to synchronize release schedules with Wasteland 2 to avoid launching at the same time.
Further Wasteland 2 delay coming in three.. two... one..
okay not really

Mortmal

Arcane
Backer , and completely ok with it as well, i dont want to end up with a rushed shallow thing like shadowrun again . Do the polishing, test it with real gamers, take your time.

Jashiin

Arcane
The risk unfortunately is probably all too real. But I believe their effort and extra polish will make this their best game by far. :salute: for their sacrifice should they fail to earn the money they need once it's released. They're gonna need all the angry joe's and total boredom's out there to get this on the map again. Let's hope for a massive gamedrought in februari.

:Flash:

Arcane
Swen on September 18 said:
So yes, I discovered a few interesting lessons.
The most important one for me was that in the future I’ll try to only commit to a release date when the game is actually done. Not if it’s 85% done or even 95% done, but only when really, it’s done.

Swen on September 26 said:
we decided to move the release of Divinity: Original Sin from this fall (as originally announced) to this winter, specifically to February 28th 2014.

Darkzone

Arcane
Udate we got an update for Kickstartarter.
This was for me the best Kickstarter, with the most fun and joy, and by simply witnessing it, i have gotten all my money value in twice returned. They have from me all the blessing they need. So if they take more time, which was nearly clear that they will need it, than it is ok.
Alone by judging only the Kickstarter, i belive that D:OS will be very good and i trust Larian Studios, in every aspect to deliver a game that makes real fun to play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Thanks to Kickstarter these are becoming very integral to the game, so much in fact that parts of the game were completely re-engineered to make room for them.
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Don't say I didn't tell you about npc schedules.

the plan is to have pretty much our entire team work on it, together with a couple of outsourcers. Given that there are around 40 people in our team, that’s quite an increase for DOS’ final price tag.
One big downside of delaying the game is that it’s not out now and that we can’t work on other things I planned for. This is something that could potentially have quite an impact on our studio, because it means that should DOS fail, we won’t have many fallback options, as nothing else will be in production.
Sounds like Larian's getting desperate. Your turn. Desperate desperate desperate desperate. Those DC profits turning out to be not quite as large as stated.

And the "more people working on it = better game" rationale is delightful. Reminds me of AAA thinking.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't say I didn't tell you about npc schedules.

Tell us what? You said they were boring or annoying or something. Then I showed you that Josh likes them, and you changed your mind to "annoying unless designed by Josh". ( :lol: )

You never said anything about how long it takes to implement them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tell us what? You said they were boring or annoying or something. Then I showed you that Josh likes them, and you changed your mind to "annoying unless designed by Josh". ( :lol: )

You never said anything about how long it takes to implement them.
I didn't expect them to be done well in part because of all the re-engineering they have to do to make them work. Of course as a layperson I'm not going to be able to articulate all that. But it's bad planning, period. Larian is terrible at planning, unlike Project Eternity which has likely been planned very well in its pre-prod phase.

Can't wait for all these kickstarters to start coming out finally. But yes, they should take as much time as they can afford. Shadowrun was disappointing, and I'm hoping the rest won't be...

weresheeple

Educated
I was sort of against schedules because I dreaded they would take far too much time and effort to do well on a limited budget. The fact that they basically made a village into a city (they actually had no true city, only towns at most) and added buildings, floors interactions and quests in the process makes me salivate, though.

Arkeus

Arcane
Sounds like Larian's getting desperate. Your turn. Desperate desperate desperate desperate. Those DC profits turning out to be not quite as large as stated.

And the "more people working on it = better game" rationale is delightful. Reminds me of AAA thinking.
Actually, a couple paragraphs later he says that the reason he is taking that risk is because he can- the money from DC helps a lot to alleviate those worries.

Oh, and there is a difference between 'more people' and 'more time', though he is doing both (E.G, focusing the whole studio on it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom