Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #25: Combat System Vote!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update is uncharacteristically short and simple, so I'll keep this introduction simple too. For the moment of truth is now upon us:

Over the last couple weeks, we’ve been reading all of your commentary and ideas regarding combat. Many good points and suggestions, and mostly civil discourse. Thanks to all who have engaged in the discussion so far!

And now... It is time! Only backers can place a vote. (If you haven’t already and you’d like your voice heard, please register with us to gain access to the backer-only UserVoice forum.) Feel free to also continue to submit comments and ideas to the combat discussion forum. Please remember that this vote is advisory only. Above all, please remember that our goal is to provide the best possible experience for the game, and if the final decision is not your preferred choice, we ask you trust our ability to deliver a solid game.

For more context about what this is about, please see Update 24, where we describe what Turn-Based and Real-Time with Pause might each mean for Torment. We’ll close the voting in December.
Go to it, Codex. It's time to stand up and be counted.

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
This thing is running close so far. Not sure how much it's going to help inXile decide.
I'd probably be happy with either system, but I did my duty and pitched in for turn-based. :salute:

agris

Arcane
Patron

edit: can someone give me a succinct argument against RTwP (or for TB) for this game? I enjoy TB (cut my teeth on F1 & 2 back in the day), but to me it suits a more tactical or combat-oriented type of game, which I don't think Torment will be.

Last edited:

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Do your part - vote for Arcanum combat! :lol:

MCvqkuF.png

CWagner

Augur
Do your part - vote for Arcanum combat! :lol:

I think they could do that with RTwP if they implement it properly (not that I have seen RTwP that I really liked so far…). My main fear if they don't go with TB is that it changes the overall design of combat for the worse.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
So RTwP is ~70 votes ahead. Once again Democracy has failed.

Brother None, you guys should just ignore the popamolers that voted for RTwP and go with your guts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure the combat will be fine no matter what system they use. But I think it'll be turn-based as long as RTwP doesn't win by like 80% or something.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Where's the kingcomrade option?

Seriuously, I don't have much hope TB's gonna win. That's a shame of course, but not much of a surprise for game's that's inspired by both :
- the best jRPG built in the west
- the newest (for it sure ain't the first one) PnP RPG you can play without applying any game rules

Machocruz

Arcane
The 'turn based is unrealistic' argument is one of the most retarded I've ever seen or heard. Freezing time at will in a world of isometric fantasy gobbledy-gook passes for realistic enough, but orderly management of combat is a yard too far. FFS, the education system is a complete and utter failure.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It will be RtwP, just accept the fact and move on.

The vote of course isn't indicative of final decision, but one should probably brace for an impact. Just in case, if for nothing else. We're rarely that fucking lucky.

Delbaeth

Learned
TB. Nothing less.

WEGO should be the best of the two worlds.

But RTwP fans... I didn't know that marketing "the spiritual sequel of PST" should be with the same combat mode. Did they really play the whole game? Or just stopped when meeting Ravel? Is there anything else that should be the real "spiritual sequel"? ...

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Jesus christ, might as well just upload everything and let the backers finish the game for you. Let me get this straight, you're making a relatively big budget game, and you can't even decide on what type of combat you're going to have? And now you are putting this up to a vote, where the vote of a monocled Codexian is equal to that of a Biowareian drone or a teenage COD loving thug? Anybody could have paid to earn this "backer" title.

I have no doubt the game would turn out decent at the very least. but they need to figure out what their vision is.

Black

Arcane
And this is why dictatorship is the only viable option if your empire is to survive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Let me get this straight, you're making a relatively big budget game, and you can't even decide on what type of combat you're going to have?

This isn't news. The official word is that since Torment isn't a combat-centric game, they don't really care what the combat system is. But as they said in the previous update, they do prefer turn-based.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
voted RtWP of course, I mean, we all want the most Planescape:Torment-esque experience possible, right?
no i did not :troll:

edit
i looked around but can't seem to find it anywhere, so maybe i'm wrong, but wasn't this supposed to be TB since the very beginning?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying to understand why the codex is so overwhelmingly in support of TB (which I like in F1/2, Disciples 2, Expeditions: Conquistador, Silent Storm 2, Underrail, Worms, etc), so I looked through the TToN thread (after Update 24, the combat one). I also checked the backer-only combat forum-thing. I'm having trouble finding well articulated arguments in support of or against either mode, with the most discernible and consistent arguments being:
  • TB is slow and clunky, not as well suited for a noncombat-focused game
  • RTwP relies on less character (PC) skill, and more on the player's physical reflexes, thus making it less RPG and more ARGP
  • The resource (AP) management of TB allows for more diversity of character builds (can create more unique combat builds, since you could presumably affect the amount of AP and cost of certain actions based on skills, traits or whatever)
Now goddamit, the codex is supposed to be loud and opinionated. Where the fuck is an angry and articulate supporter or denouncer of either type?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The good news is they will probably choose the option they prefer (TB) unless the other one wins by a massive difference. And it (hopefully) won't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom