Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Deus Ex is and always will be better than CyberCock 2077.
Deal with it.
I would like to see a Deus Ex game where you can play as a Majestic-12 goon or another massive corporation/organization with plans for global domination...
Be a bad guy for a while.
OG Deus Ex where you can choose who to side with. I'd play it.
Gunther: Origins, a thrilling prequel where we can finally learn the deep lore behind Gunther Hermann's dislike for lemon-lime soda.
I VANTED ORANGE!
fde.png

kangaxx I think it was a possibility where you could continue working for UNATCO/MAJESTIC 12 and Walton Simmons and Bob Page,but it was ultimately cut from the final release of the game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The stealth in Deus Ex 1 never impressed me much though honestly, it felt like a severely gutted version of Thief with far worse enemy AI, so the shift to a different, arguably more simplified style of stealth gameplay didn't bother me too much.
And that gutted version of thief still had deeper mechanics than the pacman stealth of nu-DX. You could even distract guards by throwing soy to them!
Well soy can be rather distracting!
c61.png
Stop posting photos of Crispy from 20 years ago. Thx.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Then again SE treated it as a bottom of the bargain bin game for awhile, I think I got my GOG copy for $1.50
This is not new, it's been treated like this for twenty years. I got my physical cop for like 5 euro back in the day.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I VANTED ORANGE!
fde.png

kangaxx I think it was a possibility where you could continue working for UNATCO/MAJESTIC 12 and Walton Simmons and Bob Page,but it was ultimately cut from the final release of the game.
I've never seen that pic before lol. Skull Gun ftw. The original plan for the game had a join MJ12 story where you sided with Bob Page and became the King of Europe as an ending. You were meant to also meet the president and go to the moon.

Repressed Homosexual
nu-deus ex games were good, stop being edgy
it's one of the few games that actually managed to get revived and not be ruined with terrible games

this will probably be shit tho

It's not a bad game but there were a lot of disappointing things about it, especially how tiny the levels are.

Something just felt off about it. You can't make a by the numbers reinterpretation of Deus Ex and expect greatness.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I VANTED ORANGE!
fde.png

I've never seen that pic before lol. Skull Gun ftw. The original plan for the game had a join MJ12 story where you sided with Bob Page and became the King of Europe as an ending. You were meant to also meet the president and go to the moon.
Not necessarily meet the president, but a mission in the White House was planned and ultimately cut. Traces of the alternate path remain in the game too. Like JC telling Paul he is no terrorist after seeing his 'evidence' or Page desperately trying to bargain with JC in Area 51, offering him 'his own continent'.

grimace

Arcane
Deus Ex is and always will be better than CyberCock 2077.
Deal with it.
I would like to see a Deus Ex game where you can play as a Majestic-12 goon or another massive corporation/organization with plans for global domination...
Be a bad guy for a while.
OG Deus Ex where you can choose who to side with. I'd play it.
Gunther: Origins, a thrilling prequel where we can finally learn the deep lore behind Gunther Hermann's dislike for lemon-lime soda.

I'd read that novel.

just

Liturgist
it should excite me but it doesnt
nothing ever does anymore
maybe i should leave games behind
and start making drama in the shoutbox

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The nu-Deus Exes are missing the whole punk part of cyberpunk for me. There's a lot of cyber, sure, but the punk is more dad rock. I'm not particularly thrilled by the prospect of playing a superpowered ex-cop who jumps from one cushy security job to the next. The whole thing needs more counterculture, vague allusions to racism don't cut it.

quaesta

Educated
The nu-Deus Exes are missing the whole punk part of cyberpunk for me. There's a lot of cyber, sure, but the punk is more dad rock. I'm not particularly thrilled by the prospect of playing a superpowered ex-cop who jumps from one cushy security job to the next. The whole thing needs more counterculture, vague allusions to racism don't cut it.
We will never see Deus Ex depth of cyberpunk again in AAA games. Sure future AAA games can allude to it, but can never go as in depth as Deus Ex. It will always be surface level stuff like "fight the power", but it won't say things that will shock us.
The reason is our world became a cyberpunk dystopia, and games are a big market controlled by the very same forces that were talked about in cyberpunk genre. This is why as you mentioned, the only counterculture is racism, AKA an issue that the government agrees is a problem, and if you say isn't a problem you can get ostracized from society

Melmoth

Educated
the short answer is that the kind of people that are willing to make and finance games at that scale now are by definition unfamiliar with 'counter culture' except in the most frivolous way.

the longer answer starts with what makes you think that the original deus ex which was basically preoccupied with centuries old american political philosophy and late 20th century technology centered genre fiction had any investment in so called counter culture to begin with?

Fargus

Arcane
I'm just gonna say:

What a shame.

And if there are people that actually got excited by this.
Enjoy your pozzed remake or whatever goyslop jewbracer and pedos montreal will cook for you lol.
739.jpg

vibehunter

Learned
Whilst I somewhat agree, haven't they painted themselves into a corner by leaving his story arc unfinished in MD?
Honestly, they can ignore it entirely and focus on a proper sequel to DE1, if they so choose.

"Counterculture" is a social studies bullshit term. Deus Ex had nothing to do with commie profs protesting the Vietnam war. Its eccentricity was of the type that was very common in the early internet, particularly among guys who were into tech and were influenced by science fiction and libertarian ideas. I doubt any commie prof or aging rock star was playing Deus Ex back in the day, but a lot of the guys who went to Sillycon Valley were. It's 2022 and that culture is mostly dead, which is why you can't have a new Deus Ex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deus Ex wasn't marketed or described as "cyberpunk" in official materials, you're getting annoyed that a particular science fiction series isn't adhering to what you believe it should be.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
If you mean largely ignored, then yes.

I played both. As I also played the old xbox title, invisible wars. Quality aside, and some of them can be considered decent action games on their own, the discrepancy in the moment-to-moment feel of the gameplay and the approach to major elements like resource management, exploration and character development, between the OG Deus Ex and the sequels is far, far wider than what you have between OG Doom and nuDoom, imho.

Ash

Arcane
Red dot is technically cheating though hence why its fixed in GMDX.
:hmmm:
The laser sight worked as designed. Some modder had the idea that it should work obnoxiously, providing very little benefit, to be more "realistic."

You guys shouldn't talk about your mothers that way.

Also GMDX does nothing for the laser mod except:

1. actually give it a sound effect when toggled on/off, as well as when the mod is installed.
2. Removes the first easy to obtain laser mod (Liberty Island) on hardcore mode, because it is in fact OP.
3. makes the dot slightly larger so it's easier to see at a distance (this makes it slightly more OP, but also more fun), as well as clearer to know it's on/off state in the first place.
4. Fixes laser mod w/projectile weapons (xbow and plasma rifle the laser mod did NOTHING for, because bug/oversight). Again, this makes the laser mod yet more OP. Vanilla it was partially balanced in that if you applied it to xbow/plasma it did fuck all at all and prevented it being applied to a weapon it does work on, but this is obviously not good nor intended.

As for that "some modder" whom you thought was me, RoSoDude's fork of my mod made the laser sight sway based on skill level, which is better design, not for realism but for balance, because it is in fact OP. So don't talk shit about that which you do not understand, as usual, Roguey. Respecting original dev intent to an autistic degree is not too valuable when it breaks the game now is it.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
not for realism for balance, because it is in fact OP.
:hmmm:

As I said, working as designed. It's worthless if it doesn't work the way Ion Storm intended. And it's fine to slap a laser on a rinky dink pistol, you're not going to be using that for the entire game.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Like JC telling Paul he is no terrorist after seeing his 'evidence' or Page desperately trying to bargain with JC in Area 51, offering him 'his own continent'.
Yeah the evidence bit is basically you tell Paul he's wrong. But the game can't progress any further.
The laser sight worked as designed. Some modder had the idea that it should work obnoxiously, providing very little benefit, to be more "realistic."
I mean yes and no. The problem from a design perspective is that the laser mod invalidates the entire skill progression system. It's also super op when used on the assault rifle at full refire. It definitely needed to be looked at but Vanilla offers its own unique experience.

1. actually give it a sound effect when toggled on/off
2. makes the dot slightly larger so it's easier to see at a distance.
3. Removes the first easy to obtain laser mod on hardcore mode, because it is in fact OP.
I'm specifically referring to the RSD version here sorry about that.

Codex Year of the Donut
doosex games would be significantly worse if they were libtard cringe games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom