Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

Wunderbar

Arcane
mods that change difficulty are always the worst mods available
not sorry, I want to play the game the devs made
I've played Deus Ex probably 100+ times now. Sometimes it's good and refreshing to have the mechanics changed up a bit. And anything that gets people returning to these games and gives us the potential to experiment with the design and try to elevate it further however successful or unsuccessful that may be is good for everyone. I firmly believed the games industry peaked with Deus Ex, its a good candidate for building on. Ash did it the right way he didn't replace the mechanics but rather built on top of the existing ones and tried to balance things differently from Vanilla.
what you said is true but Ash still needs to pull his head out of his ass.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you mean largely ignored, then yes.

I played both. As I also played the old xbox title, invisible wars. Quality aside, and some of them can be considered decent action games on their own, the discrepancy in the moment-to-moment feel of the gameplay and the approach to major elements like resource management, exploration and character development, between the OG Deus Ex and the sequels is far, far wider than what you have between OG Doom and nuDoom, imho.

I don't disagree, my comment wasn't meant to mean unjustly ignored, just that in general discussion on the codex clusters around the original, not the sequels. Which is fine because the original is a great work and the sequels are mediocre fan fiction junk.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
yeah, no. You don't know Deus Ex. Pistol is a beast, vanilla dealing 14 base damage. 14+100% (master skill) *8 (headshot) = 224 = almost one shot kill on a commando
Why would you ever use a pistol instead of the ninja sword of death and obliteration?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ash autism aside, he's right that the pistol in Deus Ex is one of the best weapons in the game if upgraded fully. Master pistols skill and fully upgraded 10mm pistol will easily get you through the entire game on a combat run.

Also GMDX is pure incline.

This is coming from someone that gets into constant arguments with Ash in every other damn thread on the Codex.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ash autism aside, he's right that the pistol in Deus Ex is one of the best weapons in the game if upgraded fully. Master pistols skill and fully upgraded 10mm pistol will easily get you through the entire game on a combat run.
That is correct. The pistol is a beast. But if being wrong annoys a modder, I say, go Roguey.

I also enjoy antagonising Ash, but I did also want to take the op to shill his mod as it's legit great.

Also RoSoDude did an updated version with Ash's blessing which I've not played personally but Tweed mentioned in shoutbox it was really good.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
As much as I love Human Revolution and Mankind Divided(hell,even Invisible War in all its buggy and console tainted glory),I think its time to move away from Adam Jensen and into a different time period. How about this:
The period when Bob Page seized power and created Majestic-12,severely weakening the Illuminati and purging anyone who stood in the way of him reaching his plans. You can play as one of his goons,maybe his right hand man Walton Simmons,or someone else...
Or maybe another secret organization who makes the mistake of crossing Bob Page,hopelessly trying to stop him...
Just think about it.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Or maybe another secret organization who makes the mistake of crossing Bob Page,hopelessly trying to stop him...
So the Templar then lol. I unironically would like a game about that as the Templars were never fleshed out in Deus Ex 1 so a story about how they were destroyed would be pretty cool. In Deus Ex 1 its established that Unatco raided and killed all their members (Unofficially it was MJ12 that did it) excluding Stanton Dowd who survived.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deus Ex is an RPG or (RPG-lite if you prefer), the rifles skill is optional and while powerful, comes with many penalties pistols do not suffer. And to add, heavy weapons skill is borderline unusable thanks to vanilla's 4x2 heavy weapon size.
Using all the rifle weapons can carry you the entire mid-to-endgame if you want. Pistols will not. Or rather, it'd be far more demanding of your reflexes (commandos and men in black aren't just going to stand motionless and let you plink a few bullets in their head at your leisure; you can headshot 'em all from a safe distance with a mastered sniper rifle though). Heavy weapons are also a powerful supplemental skill, like Big Guns in Fallout. I used the GEP Gun and LAWs lots of times. The flamethrower is a silly gimmick to use a couple of times and then forget about, the plasma rifle is worthless.

kangaxx

Arbiter
yeah, no. You don't know Deus Ex. Pistol is a beast, vanilla dealing 14 base damage. 14+100% (master skill) *8 (headshot) = 224 = almost one shot kill on a commando
You can plink away at commandos with a pistol or you can actually use a better weapon like you're supposed to. Pistols are an early game skill.
I've done multiple playthroughs with silenced pistol and nothing else on the realistic setting (or whatever it's called).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Problem is that Schrier is a lying whore. If he told me the sky is blue I'd have to go and check for myself.
Yeah, that's the biggest problem here.

Why would you ever use a pistol instead of the ninja sword of death and obliteration?
Because you are a coward with no Klingon honor.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
c1hE8irWF-GtVm_k31xGHKRUUatm0TXj0qeNy9btfZ8.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The nu-Deus Exes are missing the whole punk part of cyberpunk for me. There's a lot of cyber, sure, but the punk is more dad rock. I'm not particularly thrilled by the prospect of playing a superpowered ex-cop who jumps from one cushy security job to the next. The whole thing needs more counterculture, vague allusions to racism don't cut it.
Deus Ex wasn't marketed or described as "cyberpunk" in official materials, you're getting annoyed that a particular science fiction series isn't adhering to what you believe it should be.
It's not so much what I want it to be, it's more like what they are going for. I wouldn't say the first Deus Ex screams cyberpunk, but HR and MD definitely lean heavily into that direction. Where did the allusions to racism ultimately lead? Nowhere. Why are they there? Nobody knows. Why is Jensen an ex-cop of all things? All cops are bastards after all and that includes Jensen.

Gargaune

Arcane
Using all the rifle weapons can carry you the entire mid-to-endgame if you want. Pistols will not. Or rather, it'd be far more demanding of your reflexes (commandos and men in black aren't just going to stand motionless and let you plink a few bullets in their head at your leisure; you can headshot 'em all from a safe distance with a mastered sniper rifle though).
Nah, come on, pistols are fully feasible throughout, especially with stealth advantage. Last playthrough, I decided to go with the Stealth Pistol for my workhorse and I loved it. Yes, it does take two shots to brain a commando, but if you invest in the skill and weapon mods, the fast refire rate lets you double tap without fail. The clip capacity also scales well for versatility, you can use it as a mini-sniper rifle or a mini-assault rifle in one.

It's not so much what I want it to be, it's more like what they are going for. I wouldn't say the first Deus Ex screams cyberpunk, but HR and MD definitely lean heavily into that direction. Where did the allusions to racism ultimately lead? Nowhere. Why are they there? Nobody knows. Why is Jensen an ex-cop of all things? All cops are bastards after all and that includes Jensen.
Gotta give you credit, it takes some effort to be more of a caricature than fictional characters in a comedy scene. At least Gunther thought he didn't order Lemon-Lime, you're just annoyed the machine sells anything other than Orange.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Lacrymas
Deus Ex IS cyberpunk. Sure,it does not have the aesthetic normally associated with Cyberpunk(namely all the flash and style),the game takes place entirely during the night however,pretty nice detail. Also,cyberpunk is more than just style and people looking like robots. Conspiracies,corruption,secret organizations bent on world domination. Technology used not to advance society and humanity in a positive way,but to further seed discord between social classes.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The flamethrower is a silly gimmick to use a couple of times and then forget about, the plasma rifle is worthless.
Flamethrower works as a good stun weapon, its a valid tactic if you've got the environmental protection as that prevents you catching on fire. If you saw my GMDX run I used the flamethrower at the end to kill off all the greasels in the Walton Simons fight, I think that's where the flamer shines which is in killing animals that are bunched together. Its not worth carrying through the whole game because of its inventory size, its strictly situational. You're right about the plasma rifle though GMDX made it good enough to use but again its situational, you use it only when not given another choice, in my case I think I used it either against Walton Simons or during the prison escape I can't recall because I did a lot of runs of it.

I do think this is where the combat system shines in that each gun is another tool you can use against certain scenarios. But the Pistol, DT/Sword, Crossbow, Sniper Rifle, Assualt Rifle or GEP Gun can carry you the entire game. The Assault Rifle gets a special mention because its damage output is ridiculous and has explosives its the best all rounder in the game but is unusable at the start unless you intentionally save up for it, its downside is lack of ammo because the refire is so crazy so I say its purely an end-game weapon because you really shouldn't spend the ammo on the earlier enemies due to how useful it is, the downside is that Vanilla model is ugly, the HDTP updated model is god-tier, its the best looking guns in the mod.

The best weapon in the game is pepper spray, there I said it lol. It remains useful for human enemies, very useful against non-auged MJ12 soldiers, its basically a gas grenade that doesn't cause self damage.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Why is Jensen an ex-cop of all things? All cops are bastards after all and that includes Jensen.

I wouldn't say the first Deus Ex screams cyberpunk
Deus Ex wasn't marketed or described as "cyberpunk" in official materials, you're getting annoyed that a particular science fiction series isn't adhering to what you believe it should be.

Timestamped, Ion Storm marketed as one so you and roguey are wrong.
Another factor is that Warren Spector is friends with Bruce Sterling which is why Cyberpunk influences a lot of his games.
Warren Spector spent 10 years playing Dungeons & Dragons with science fiction author Bruce Sterling, who was a brilliantly improvisational Dungeon Master. The players were free to do whatever they wanted, an experience so powerful that Spector spent decades trying to recreate it on a computer. “Guys like William Gibson and a bunch of the other cyberpunk writers would come to town. Austin was a pretty happening place in the cyberpunk science fiction scene at that time, in the late ’70s, early ’80s. So it was a pretty cool time to be here. … There was this real sense that—they certainly felt it, and all of us around certainly felt it, that they were changing the world. https://www.wired.com/2016/03/geeks-guide-warren-spector/

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Deus Ex IS cyberpunk of course, but the nu Deus Exes leaned into that even more heavily than the original. So asking pertinent questions about social structures isn't far fetched or a caricature.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Deus Ex IS cyberpunk of course, but the nu Deus Exes leaned into that even more heavily than the original. So asking pertinent questions about social structures isn't far fetched or a caricature.
the way nuDeusEx asked those questions was caricature

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom