Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Deus Ex IS cyberpunk of course, but the nu Deus Exes leaned into that even more heavily than the original.
I would say that Deus Ex: The Conspiracy has its influences more in the X-Files, The Matrix, Blade, Escape from New York, Big Trouble In Little China and Highlander 2 (specifically the bit where they attack that base, very reminiscent of the sub base in Deus Ex) territory.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is more in line with Robo Cop, Jhonny Mnemonic, Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Ghost In A Shell and Neuromancer.

The influences should be pretty obvious. Deus Ex: The Conspiracy takes from things outside of Cyberpunk and adds it to Cyberpunk, Human Revolution takes exclusively from Cyberpunk.
The Conspiracy is much more grounded in reality. Human Revolution is more scifi.

I have no idea what the hell Invisible War was. I Got Blade Runner and Star Wars, Blade Runner for the arcology and the fact that most of the game follows the theme of orphans with no memories and stylistically resembles Blade Runner though poorly, Star Wars because the Omar and Egypt were basically Tatooine. Oh and Dune because you fix Egypt's weather. AND HOW CAN THIS BE!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Deus Ex IS cyberpunk of course, but the nu Deus Exes leaned into that even more heavily than the original.
I would say that Deus Ex: The Conspiracy has its influences more in the X-Files, The Matrix, Blade, Escape from New York, Big Trouble In Little China and Highlander 2 (specifically the bit where they attack that base, very reminiscent of the sub base in Deus Ex) territory.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is more in line with Robo Cop, Jhonny Mnemonic, Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Ghost In A Shell and Neuromancer.

The influences should be pretty obvious. Deus Ex: The Conspiracy takes from things outside of Cyberpunk and adds it to Cyberpunk, Human Revolution takes exclusively from Cyberpunk.
The Conspiracy is much more grounded in reality. Human Revolution is more scifi.

I have no idea what the hell Invisible War was. I Got Blade Runner and Star Wars, Blade Runner for the arcology and the fact that most of the game follows the theme of orphans with no memories and stylistically resembles Blade Runner though poorly, Star Wars because the Omar and Egypt were basically Tatooine. Oh and Dune because you fix Egypt's weather. AND HOW CAN THIS BE!
You quoting all those movies is funny, since Cyberpunk was a genre grown from and rooted in novels, and if you've read those novels you would have realized that Deus Ex is very much cyberpunk

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
You quoting all those movies is funny, since Cyberpunk was a genre grown from and rooted in novels, and if you've read those novels you would have realized that Deus Ex is very much cyberpunk
oh of course, its more that from a visual perspective and the fact that most people have seen these movies its easier to explain because its obvious. Novels require people to you know, read and find information.
Notice how I didn't bring up Sheldon Pacotti's influences because its a bit more detailed and harder to track down specifics. The book that caused most of Deus Ex's redpill qualities is quite long and complex. (I'm also really scared about what it says is coming its been pretty damn on point so far).
I'll post this list as I'm tired and just submitted an assignment.
https://everything2.com/title/References+in+Deus+Ex

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
oh of course, its more that from a visual perspective and the fact that most people have seen these movies its easier to explain because its obvious. Novels require people to you know, read and find information.
Notice how I didn't bring up Sheldon Pacotti's influences because its a bit more detailed and harder to track down specifics. The book that caused most of Deus Ex's redpill qualities is quite long and complex. (I'm also really scared about what it says is coming its been pretty damn on point so far).
I mean Treason has 61 units on Abebook, not exactly hard to track down if you're willing

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Timestamped, Ion Storm marketed as one so you and roguey are wrong.
Out of context. The full context is "What kind of hero are you? Heavy metal? Super-spy? Cyberpunk?" They're not talking about the genre, they're talking about being a literal cyberpunk.

Deus Ex IS cyberpunk of course
According to Mike Pondsmith, it is not. :M

"I played the original Deus Ex and enjoyed it a lot. Warren Spector is a master at layering complex plots and inferences. But Deus Ex always felt more like a conspiracy game than a cyberpunk game to me. Mirror's Edge is great, but too clean. System Shock and Oni [from Bungie] are also good. Perfect Dark. Ghost in the Shell. Matrix. And Grand Theft Auto 3 is basically cyberpunk minus the hardware."

"In the end, there has to be the right atmosphere. All echoes and dark city caverns. The right level of engagement. A world of human scaled characters fighting inhuman organizations, using technology to level to odds - but not to become supermen."

And I'm inclined to agree with him. There's a word for stories like Deus Ex, where some, but not all, of the genre requirement boxes are filled, it's post-cyberpunk.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Deus Ex IS cyberpunk of course
According to Mike Pondsmith, it is not. :M

And I'm inclined to agree with him. There's a word for stories like Deus Ex, where some, but not all, of the genre requirement boxes are filled, it's post-cyberpunk.
Pondsmith piggybacked on the back of those people who created cyberpunk, his opinion isn't all that relevant

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
is this another thread that will reach 1000 pages before the game is even out/before it gets canceled. who give a fuck. the game will release or it wont. who gives a fuck about all these little dripfeeds of news from jason faggot schreier and whatever other speculation and "leaks" (marketing tactic) from bozos

Codex Year of the Donut
post-cyberpunk
That's transhuman stories, basically Invisible War. The original Deus Ex is clearly cyberpunk
cyber, yes
punk, no

it's not a hard concept
don't be a moron, lots of cyberpunk stories had no punks in them, thats just the genre moniker
cyberpunk = libtard cringe power fantasy, which implies the punk part

if you can't understand the difference between deus ex and nu-shadowrun games, I don't know what to tell you

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's transhuman stories, basically Invisible War. The original Deus Ex is clearly cyberpunk
The Diamond Age is a post-cyberpunk novel that starts off with a subtle-as-a-brick metaphor involving the execution of a literal cyberpunk. I wouldn't call it a transhuman story. It's a broad subgenre.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The Diamond Age is a post-cyberpunk novel that starts off with a subtle-as-a-brick metaphor involving the execution of a literal cyberpunk. I wouldn't call it a transhuman story. It's a broad subgenre.
The Diamond Age is about nanotech, one of the foundational concepts for transhuman stories. Try again

Codex Year of the Donut
The Diamond Age is about nanotech, one of the foundational concepts for transhuman stories. Try again
not all transhuman sci-fi is cyberpunk

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It features nanotech, but it is not a story about people enhancing their bodies with technology.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It features nanotech, but it is not a story about people enhancing their bodies with technology.
It features a future in which nanotech plays a major role and reshapes society (note there are tech thrillers where nanotech is just a gimmick but doesn't change society, so those don't count), so yes its very much part of the set of transhuman stories.

Codex Year of the Donut
cyberpunk lovers be like "wow, this game features water, is this a waterpunk game?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom