Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I mean yes and no. The problem from a design perspective is that the laser mod invalidates the entire skill progression system.
Negating that is the point as far as accuracy goes. The skill system is more than just accuracy: there's also damage, recoil, and reload time, which the laser does not touch (there are other mods for that).

Ash

Arcane
not for realism for balance, because it is in fact OP.
:hmmm:

As I said, working as designed. It's worthless if it doesn't work the way Ion Storm intended.

See my post again. Edited to include the missing piece of the puzzle: laser mod did not work on projectile weapons. fixing this (which restores dev intent) makes it clear under proper analysis that it is OP.

And it's fine to slap a laser on a rinky dink pistol, you're not going to be using that for the entire game.

lol wut. What Deus Ex do you play? the xbow and pistol are among the best weapons, even vanilla, and go with absolutely every build. Mandatory to combine with heavy weapon build in fact. And two of three of the pistol skill weapons comes with a silencer by default, furthermore they all are highly customizable (accept all mods including scope and laser), and...

e.g:

Xbow:

-1x1 inventory space
-cheapest gun skill
-plentiful ammo
-accepts all weapon mods (if I recall), including scope and laser (lol doesn't work!).
-steel darts are great for silenced ranged takedowns in one shot second only to the silenced sniper
-comes with silencer by default
-The only ranged weapon that can be used underwater
-Poison dart meme is still good when used correctly even if underwhelming. Great to fire into a greasel for instance then switch to pistol and combine, or just otherwise be patient.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol wut. What Deus Ex do you play? the xbow and pistol are among the best weapons, even vanilla, and go with absolutely every build. Mandatory to combine with heavy weapon build in fact.
Both those weapons are worthless once you have to start fighting MJ12 Commandos and the like.

Ash

Arcane
yeah, no. You don't know Deus Ex. Pistol is a beast, vanilla dealing 14 base damage. 14+100% (master skill) *8 (headshot) = 224 = almost one shot kill on a commando

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
yeah, no. You don't know Deus Ex. Pistol is a beast, vanilla dealing 14 base damage. 14+100% (master skill) *8 (headshot) = 224 = almost one shot kill on a commando
You can plink away at commandos with a pistol or you can actually use a better weapon like you're supposed to. Pistols are an early game skill.

Ash

Arcane
mods that change difficulty are always the worst mods available
not sorry, I want to play the game the devs made

More talking shit about that which you do not know. GMDX doesn't flat increase the difficulty, in many ways it nerfs it. Easy actually helps you against environmental hazards and in stealth, for instance. Vanilla difficulty modes only influenced combat against enemies with bullets and melee, that's it. Not even enemies with explosives, electricity, poison, fire. But muh holy vanilla design!

Secondly, dumb opinion regardless of the lack of understanding. Almost every time I mod a game I am looking for a difficulty increase, because I already made the vanilla game my bitch and it's no longer enough to stimulate me. But I don't think you're one for mental stimulation in the first place so carry on.

You can plink away at commandos with a pistol or you can actually use a better weapon like you're supposed to. Pistols are an early game skill.

Deus Ex is an RPG or (RPG-lite if you prefer), the rifles skill is optional and while powerful, comes with many penalties pistols do not suffer. And to add, heavy weapons skill is borderline unusable thanks to vanilla's 4x2 heavy weapon size.

Dumb and not worth any more of my time.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

More talking shit about that which you do not know. GMDX doesn't flat increase the difficulty, in many ways it nerfs it. Easy actually helps you against environmental hazards and in stealth, for instance. Vanilla difficulty modes only influenced combat against enemies with bullets, that's it. Not even enemies with explosives, electricity, poison. But muh holy vanilla design!

Secondly, dumb opinion regardless of the lack of understanding. Alost every time I mod a game I am looking for a difficulty increase, because I already made the vanilla game my bitch and it's no longer enough to stimulate me. But I don't think you're one for mental stimulation in the first place so carry on.
don't care, didn't play it and I have no interest in playing it

like a child taking a copy of a great book and drawing on it with crayon

Ash

Arcane
An intelligent person does not presume to provide ultimate judgement calls without understanding even a fraction of what they're casting judgement on. You are not one such person.

For those that do not know, check out the thread. Every codexer whom played, loved it and considered it the ultimate Deus Ex experience. Aside from one who jumped to conclusions early. We're talking 100 (?) Codexers to 1. It's a codex darling to those that know.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
An intelligent person does not judge and provide ultimate judgement calls without understanding even a fraction of what they're casting judgement on. You are not one such person.
let me know when you make your own game rather than just tweaking some config files in a game someone else made

Ash

Arcane
I spent five years working on the game (that's x2.5 more years than it took to make) and am very good at what I do. Pay your respects, halfwit. There aren't many better gaming experiences out there than Deus Ex + GMDX.

Codex Year of the Donut
I spent five years working on the game (that's x2.5 more years than it took to make) and am very good at what I do. Pay your respects, halfwit. There aren't many better gaming experiences out there than Deus Ex + GMDX.
It took you five years to learn how to use notepad?

grimace

Arcane
Hey everyone,

A new Deus Ex is in development at Eidos Montreal!​

Let's talk about the possibility of a new nu Do a Sex.

Ash

Arcane

Notepad++, WOTGreal, UnrealEditor 1 & 2, GIMP 2.0, NSIS, Audacity and more.

Deus Ex is largely 100% open. Your simple mind equates modding to tweaking a few lines in config files because that's what you did once when you were bored. For me it was pretty much full continuation of the game's development, but not touching that which I am not skilled in, nor even really needs improvement (e.g story).

Authoritative muh untouchable vanilla! Lilura simp detected. Or you just have the same feeble mindset; that of a woman. Wait a minute I recall calling you out as a chick in the Prey thread. The evidence continues to accumulate.

Codex Year of the Donut

Notepad++, WOTGreal, UnrealEditor 1 & 2, GIMP 2.0, NSIS, Audacity and more.

Deus Ex is largely 100% open. Your simple mind equates modding to config files because that's what you did once. For me it was pretty much full continuation of the game's development, but not touching that which I am not skilled in, nor even really needs improvement (story).

Authoritative muh untouchable vanilla! Lilura simp detected. Or you just have the same feeble mindset; that of a woman. Wait a minute I recall calling you out as a chick in the Prey thread. The evidence continues to accumulate.
not surprised in the least that you're also a windowslicker who thinks being able to hide his taskbar makes him an OS dev

Ash

Arcane
"OS dev"...we're talking about game dev/modding. Wake up.

Codex Year of the Donut
"OS dev"...we're talking about game dev/modding. Wake up.
I'm implying you're a low IQ tranny modder who jerks himself off to making small edits to a game that you could never hope to make while pretending you actually did something important rather than just ruin it.

Ash

Arcane
You've done nothing remotely important nor notably impressive in your life and never will, and I would bet mine on it being superior.

Ash

Arcane
Again, proudly flaunting your low level of intelligence. What a waste of life.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not worth anyone's time. Fr*nch game devs have proven time and time again that they are unable to make anything notable. The Quebecois are watered down Frenchies so you can imagine how talentless that lot is. From what I know of Eidos Montreal, they seem to ruin old franchises like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Thief. Doubt that the new DE will break the cycle.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I've played Deus Ex probably 100+ times now. Sometimes it's good and refreshing to have the mechanics changed up a bit. And anything that gets people returning to these games and gives us the potential to experiment with the design and try to elevate it further however successful or unsuccessful that may be is good for everyone. I firmly believed the games industry peaked with Deus Ex, its a good candidate for building on. Ash did it the right way he didn't replace the mechanics but rather built on top of the existing ones and tried to balance things differently from Vanilla. You are not going to get this from the AAA industry, my prediction is the jensen line will continue and mechanically keep to MD's template, its predictable because it sells to modern audiences, but its not going to take what the original Deus Ex did in any interesting new directions. Indies could do it but its going to take a lot of time.

Codex Year of the Donut
I've played Deus Ex probably 100+ times now. Sometimes it's good and refreshing to have the mechanics changed up a bit. And anything that gets people returning to these games and gives us the potential to experiment with the design and try to elevate it further however successful or unsuccessful that may be is good for everyone. I firmly believed the games industry peaked with Deus Ex, its a good candidate for building on. Ash did it the right way he didn't replace the mechanics but rather built on top of the existing ones and tried to balance things differently from Vanilla.
nah

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom