Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Wait, you're only seeing this in some threads, but not others? Or is it when the same ads appear in a specific thread?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They pop up basically anywhere. Even in forum index. But if I'm the only one experiencing this, I don't want to be a pita. I'm mostly annoyed because my PC is busted, and all my browsing will be done on mobile until I find a new PC.

When you guys were fixing the new site, I did not have this problem anymore.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I expect it's due to some malfunctioning ad showing up in rotation only every so often and it gets fixed once the ad is changed/removed. Different ads are shown depending on your geographic location and various other preferences, so it's always hard to track something like this down as we'll never be looking at the same ads.

Using TapaTalk when this happens for you is a potential workaround.

Btw, does this happen with both Fluid and Fixed Width styles for you?

Taluntain Ads are fucking up the format of the front page on mobile and making news posts unreadable for the first couple sentences.
704509D5-A31F-4C6D-A801-B4359D7DF7C6.jpeg

I don’t often look at the front page on mobile so not sure how long it’s been an issue, but I’m seeing it on both safari and chrome.

Last edited:

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Why are all ad banners I see anymore about "rescueing Ukrainian children"? I thought it was common knowledge that most if not all child focused charities are fronts for pedophilic corruption?

It is kind of jarring that we constantly get these banners featuring kids that are likely getting pimped out as "children of heroes" to pedophiles.

I am not sure about this. I am just going by what I have read about charities in general and child focused charities specifically.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Where did you read that exactly? "Most if not all" is the kind of sweeping generalization that you'd expect to read from a biased source online, where anyone can publish anything and find a receptive audience. While there is no doubt that same as with any other field there is corruption among charities as well, concluding that every child-focused charity must be a front for paedophiles is really up there with wild exaggerations.

FYI, most charity ads are pro-bono fillers that are shown when no paying ads are available. It's usually only temporary that you see such ads.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
They appear on the last post on a page instead of on top. Why? Taluntain
The code for an ad is on top of the page too, but not all positions always load, which is why you might not be seeing it there. The ad position in the last post has been there for more than a year now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just had a video popup advertising someone playing Fortnite on Twitch.
I was thinking that I had gone insane, because I also suddenly had twitch all over my screen. I thought to myself, how the hell did I manage to go to twitch and this shit is on?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
King Crispy Taluntain Twiglard

When I click on alerts on my phone and try to click to a notification, the ad links phase through the notification and redirect me to their respective malware sites

going to start using ad block you fucks

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Can't really do much with just a description of what's happening in this case as it's impossible to identify the advertising provider responsible for it. Is there any visible ad in the place of the alerts? Is there a banner under the alerts panel that could be clipping through? What's the url of the site that it redirects to? Can you make a screenshot?

If anyone else is experiencing this and can provide any additional info, please do.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
There are different ones on the same page, so it wouldn't really help. Assuming that it even is an ad provider issue and not something else. If he can provide the info I asked for above, it would be a start.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Can't really do much with just a description of what's happening in this case as it's impossible to identify the advertising provider responsible for it. Is there any visible ad in the place of the alerts? Is there a banner under the alerts panel that could be clipping through? What's the url of the site that it redirects to? Can you make a screenshot?

If anyone else is experiencing this and can provide any additional info, please do.
It’s optima batteries, it clips through twiglard and strips post
IMG_0675.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom