Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Adam Brennecke Talks Project Eternity at Sorcerer's Place

MCA
[Marceror] Pathfinding... the bane of Infinity Engine games. How are you going to make it (infinitely) better in Project Eternity?

At this point Adam walked me across the hall to see a cut out of an apparent superhero that is posted in the window of one of the developer’s offices: The Pathfinder. It seems that The Pathfinder is an inspiration to the developers of Project Eternity to create a game where characters are smart enough to get where they’re going! Conclusion: the guys at Obsidian truly live and breathe this stuff.

One single guy among fuck knows how many has Pathfinder RPG art on his window. Adam PRnecke remembers this and says "that will be teh funnies for giving shit answers without substance lol". Basement dwellinb no-life neckbeard: WHOLE OBSIDIAN LOVES IT! Marceror-kun, have you seen the stuff on Avellone's desk?

lm7AA.png

OMFG IT MUST BE INSPIRATION TO ALL OBSIDIAN TO CREATE A GAME THAT WILL SATISFY MY CHAINMAIL BIKINI FANTASIES! CONCLUSION: OBSIDIAN TRULY LIVE AND BREATHE THIS STUFF! CAN'T WAIT TO LAY MY EYES ON POLYGONAL CLEAVAGES!

R00FLES!

Marceror

Novice
[Marceror] Pathfinding... the bane of Infinity Engine games. How are you going to make it (infinitely) better in Project Eternity?

At this point Adam walked me across the hall to see a cut out of an apparent superhero that is posted in the window of one of the developer’s offices: The Pathfinder. It seems that The Pathfinder is an inspiration to the developers of Project Eternity to create a game where characters are smart enough to get where they’re going! Conclusion: the guys at Obsidian truly live and breathe this stuff.

One single guy among fuck knows how many has Pathfinder RPG art on his window. Adam PRnecke remembers this and says "that will be teh funnies for giving shit answers without substance lol". Basement dwellinb no-life neckbeard: WHOLE OBSIDIAN LOVES IT! Marceror-kun, have you seen the stuff on Avellone's desk?

lm7AA.png

OMFG IT MUST BE INSPIRATION TO ALL OBSIDIAN TO CREATE A GAME THAT WILL SATISFY MY CHAINMAIL BIKINI FANTASIES! CONCLUSION: OBSIDIAN TRULY LIVE AND BREATHE THIS STUFF! CAN'T WAIT TO LAY MY EYES ON POLYGONAL CLEAVAGES!

R00FLES!

I'm told the guy who actually pasted that up is the AI programmer on this project. So I don't care if Chris Avellone has pictures of clowns in hula skirts in his office -- he's not going to be programming the AI!

By the way vots, you may want to visit a doctor soon. It seems you've got that cynics disease I keep hearing about. You may be in the latter stages. Really, I wouldn't wait to get that checked out! Your world need not be so dreary.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
By the way vots, you may want to visit a doctor soon. It seems you've got that cynics disease I keep hearing about. You may be in the latter stages. Really, I wouldn't wait to get that checked out! Your world need not be so dreary.
It's called volournitis.

Marceror

Novice
Excellent interview. :thumbsup: The author asked many questions that left me concerned. It aleviated some worries, though unfortunately Adam dodged a lot of inquiries.

Thanks for the feedback. However, I'm not really sure which questions you think Adam dodged. He actually provided a direct answer for every question I posed to him. Some of those answers may not have had a lot of detail, but in many cases that detail just doesn't exist yet. What would be the point of telling us all about their ideas for Od Nua, when they are still brainstorming those ideas? To Adam's credit, I think he gave as much information as he realistically could, and frankly, it was more than I was expecting going into that interview. Just my 2cp on this point.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Real CRAP! with prose cocksuckers get what they deserve: a load of cum railroaded down your throat with the balls resting on your eye sockets. This will be the most dumbed down and the shittiest indie RPG with a budget that matches those of IE games.
You're such a romantic VotS!:troll:
This is the kind of romance that needs to be implemented in this game. Let's see how the Talimancers like them apples!:troll::mhd::troll: :mhd::troll:

MCA
I'm told the guy who actually pasted that up is the AI programmer on this project. So I don't care if Chris Avellone has pictures of clowns in hula skirts in his office -- he's not going to be programming the AI!

Oooh, an AI programmer you say? That sounds fancy, like The Fucking King of The Domain Fuck Yeah! He ought to be the one calling the shots!

R00FLES!

And if the position of one developer with fancy shit to personalise his working environment bears any relevance to the overall design philosophy, it's unquestionably Avellone's fancy shit that matters because he is the co-founder/co-owner and one of the top guys calling the shots.

Just a fucking programmer -a drone worker who exists to write endless line of code in compliance with what he's asked of- with Pathfinder art on his window. Whatever connection you made between being a programmer and playing a game that doesn't involve any fucking AI... Your reasoning is pathetic. Your train of thought is abysmal. And you are just laughable.

It's just sad to see fans of Obsidian descend deep down into the same depths of absurdity and idiocy as that of Bethesda fans.

Marceror

Novice
villain of the story - I hope you aren't actually as disturbed of an individual as you are coming across to be. For your information, pathfinding is a form of artificial intelligence, so the AI programmer will most certainly have some bearing in this area (read: probably more bearing than anyone else). Furthermore, the statement I made about Obsidian living and breathing this stuff was really just meant to be a cute, optimistic statement. You are reading way too much into it, and getting way too worked up here.

I wish you the best. I think I'm going to go hang out with the adults for a while.

MCA
villain of the story - I hope you aren't actually as disturbed of an individual as you are coming across to be. For your information, pathfinding is a form of artificial intelligence, so the AI programmer will most certainly have some bearing in this area (read: probably more bearing than anyone else).

I was talking about Pathfinder RPG art supposedly pointing to it being a major influence for Obsidian in PE. If you are saying now that it was a joke, I have no choice but to believe you. And if you really were being retardedly optimistic and daydreaming, no matter; it will inevitably manifest again.

I wish you the best. I think I'm going to go hang out with the adults for a while.

Number one symptom of an underdeveloped immature manchild needing to "play adult" as a cope out when he can't stand dissent or criticism. Go ahead and "hang out" with the "adults" (ooh, that sounds like serious business). I'll be so jealous.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I won't be impressed with vots' current antics until he starts using the word "shitslurper". M:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And if the position of one developer with fancy shit to personalise his working environment bears any relevance to the overall design philosophy, it's unquestionably Avellone's fancy shit that matters because he is the co-founder/co-owner and one of the top guys calling the shots.
img_0026.jpg

What a manchild.

But actually Josh says he reports directly to Feargus, not Chris.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For the moment, they're interchangeable.

What is it about this place that drives once-adequate posters so insane?
The denizsi I remember would fly off the handle a lot. Just look at the old Aliens RPG is Canceled thread.

Repressed Homosexual
Has there ever been any real time top down game with good pathfinding? I remember reading a post mortem for vampire the masquerade redemption, and the guy said that pathfinding was the bane of programmers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom