Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adding more layers to JRPG combat

What has been done, how can it be done better, and what hasn't been done yet?

Off of the top of my head:

• The Trails games and Monochrome Mobius have speed and turn order bonuses. You want to manipulate the turn order so your characters steal the beneficial turn bonuses make sure your enemies catch the negative ones. Trails games, tactics games, and SRPGs add space that affects the range of AoE attacks, sometimes have environmental hazards or additional objectives on the field. Monochrome Mobius themed its turn order as rings the characters are racing around, with IIRC only one character being allowed to occupy the innermost speed ring (meaning that only one character can be going the fastest speed a time) and three in the middle ring, so you're also trying to usurp enemy characters in the inner rings, but you also don't want the enemy to be able to get to the higher rings either.
  • FF10 flirted with the idea of having heavily armored enemies that needed their armor shattered by Auron, fast enemies who would evade attacks and needed a fast character like Tidus to hit them, flying enemies that could not be hit by melee characters and only by magic or ranged characters like Wakka's blitzball, etc. It would have been cool if these different modifiers were combined, ie a flying armored enemy that has to first be brought down, and then its armored shattered.
  • Some games make the process of attacking or healing more involved. In Super Mario RPG, Xenogears, and Utawarerumono, well timed button presses will allow you to enhance your attacks or block incoming attacks.
  • Trails games, tactics games, and SRPGs add space that affects the shape and range of AoE attacks, and sometimes have environmental hazards (like in tactics where you can knock enemies off a cliff and they will die from fall damage) or additional objectives on the field. Vantage Master allowed the player to cast a spell to raise or lower the water level of the battlefield, which could hinder the movement of land based characters or expand the reach of water based characters or landlock them.
  • Final Fantasy XI and Genshin Impact have different characters' comboing elemental attacks with a limited time window to only deal bonus elemental damage, but also create certain elemental effects. For example, in Genshin you can first use a water character's water elemental ability to drench an enemy, and then using an ice character's ice ability to freeze that drenched enemy. Or have a wind character using a wind ability, and then following that up with a fire character's fire ability to create a firestorm AoE.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Resource management. In modern JRPGs in general, resource management is not a thing be it in combat or outside.

Within the combat itself most of the time within a particular encounter rarely will a player think: should I conserve my resource here, use it now, etc because resource recovery is either easy or plentiful (e.g. MP in most Final Fantasy games). Recovering resources usually just means wasting a turn using resource recovering item but unless you are fighting some Mega Boss (e.g. Penance in FF X) it usually will not mean anything in the grand scheme of the encounter.

Adding meaningful resources management into combat should make normal blobber JRPG combat more exciting without resorting to Wizardy/old JRPG where number is just stacked against you so you are pigeonholed to grind and then use the few viable spells/actions over and over.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger had special spell combinations, where multiple characters would work together to cast a single powerful spell. Phantasy Star did this better imo; the combinations were generic, so you could substitute one characters fire spell for another when the party changed, and it also required timing the attacks properly. It even included a macro system to set turn order to facilitate this, which also made random encounters a lot faster, as you could select an appropriate macro instead of manually entering commands for each member.

Suikoden had a system whereby the animations for attacks during combat would happen simultaneously provided it didn't cause conflicts. For example, 4 people could attack a single enemy at once, but if the first person killed that enemy, then the other 3 would attack different enemies, again, at the same time, unless say, one of those secondary enemies needed to attack first. It all felt incredibly fluid and realistic compared to other games with turn based combat.

Suikoden also had an excellent system for avoiding combat- depending on your relative power level, the command would change from 'Flee' to 'Let go' and there was also a bribery option.

FF10 had REAL turn based combat, where each individual character took their turn as rapidly as their agility allowed, instead of everyone simply getting one action per round of combat. Some other games do this as well, but honestly, it should be way more popular. It's the best system by far, allowing for different speeds of monsters, characters, and even individual actions.

Star Ocean and the Tales series allowed for gaining proficiency with the specific spells or skills you actually used during combat. At certain benchmarks, the skills could change radically, gaining range or area of effect or multiple hits, and the system was also linked to learning entirely new moves. Was a lot more satisfying than generic stat gains from fighting, and added to replayability because you could end up with totally new skills by playing and using different stuff next time.

Lufia 2 had by far the best implementation of a limit break system in any game I've ever seen- it was linked to equipment, such that every equipment slot potentially provided it's own limit break for the character. They varied in cost as well, so during battle it was an important resource to manage since it only built up when taking damage, and you had to gauge whether to use a powerful skill costing 100% of your bar, or perhaps frequently using lesser ones. It made the equipment far more interesting as well; since an armour might be inferior stat wise but grant a superior abilitiy.

Breath of Fire 3 had a universal blue magic system, where any character could spend their turn observing an enemy, and if the enemy used an applicable skill, the character would learn it. You could later transfer these skills between party members as well.

BoF3 also had a brilliant transformation system, where you could select up to 3 'genes' to fuse together to create a dragon form. Aside from some obvious effects like elementals or stats, there were interesting meta modifiers as well, such as reverse, and unique combinations could create special forms. It was very fun to experiment with and gave a ton of options in battle.

BoF5 had a very cool resource in combat that was used to enable an overpowered transformation; however, this resource could never be restored for the entire game, and had a few other uses as well. On top of that, running out of that resource would cause an instant game over. It made for some very tense decisions of when to make use of it, considering the game also limited saving so you couldn't easily save scum and change your mind.

Vanguard Bandits had a system where you could actively choose how your character would respond each time he was attacked- whether to dodge, block, counter etc. Some options would be restricted based on positioning or stamina levels. Very cool.

Tales games have had a grading system for a long time, where your performance in combat is scored and you can get benefits or rewards for playing better, such as using correct elements to attack with, avoiding damage, finishing quickly, refraining from using consumables, etc. The better versions include a balanced variety of factors that allow different types of play to be rewarded. Another system in a similar vein is to chain battles on after another to increase rewards. This can add a cool risk/reward factor, pushing the player to keep fighting while resources are dangerously low, rather than simply resting.

The SaGa series allows characters to learn new skills during battle, especially in moments of high tension like a boss fight or while most of the party has fallen. Makes for a lot of really cool moments, and experimenting to figure out which conditions lead to learning which skills can be fun.

Another feature of the SaGa games was LP: Characters had a (typically single digit) stat that determined how many times they could fall in battle. Getting them back up only required basic healing, rather than special revival spells, but LP was typically impossible to restore in combat and was lost not only when they lost their HP and fell unconscious, but also if they were hit again while laying on the ground. Made for some interesting priorities in some battles.

Valkyrie Profile had a combo system, where chaining people's attacks together properly built up a meter that allowed for powerful finishing moves. There were other effects as well, like juggling an enemy in the air granted a special resource of some kind, and some enemies had to have their guard broken by heavier attacks or being surrounded.

Crystal Project lets you see what attacks the enemy has available, including precisely how much damage they deal, and indicates which move they are going to use and on who. It makes for much more thoughtful combat, as exploiting enemy behaviour with the threat system or clever defenses or counter attacks, is a huge factor in playing well.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Resource management. In modern JRPGs in general, resource management is not a thing be it in combat or outside.

Within the combat itself most of the time within a particular encounter rarely will a player think: should I conserve my resource here, use it now, etc because resource recovery is either easy or plentiful (e.g. MP in most Final Fantasy games). Recovering resources usually just means wasting a turn using resource recovering item but unless you are fighting some Mega Boss (e.g. Penance in FF X) it usually will not mean anything in the grand scheme of the encounter.

Adding meaningful resources management into combat should make normal blobber JRPG combat more exciting without resorting to Wizardy/old JRPG where number is just stacked against you so you are pigeonholed to grind and then use the few viable spells/actions over and over.
Resource management outside of combat is almost entirely dead now that most jRPGs have completely abandoned the concept of dungeons. Instead they now opt to make open "MMO-esque" fields where it is trivial to avoid encounters. Occasionally there are still "dungeons" but they follow the same open area design philosophy while having props appropriate for an interior. Long gone are the endurance tests of ye olde dungeons. Very sad.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Resource management outside of combat is almost entirely dead now that most jRPGs have completely abandoned the concept of dungeons. Instead they now opt to make open "MMO-esque" fields where it is trivial to avoid encounters. Occasionally there are still "dungeons" but they follow the same open area design philosophy while having props appropriate for an interior. Long gone are the endurance tests of ye olde dungeons. Very sad.
What's weird is that their dungeon crawlers still have a good understanding of dungeons and how to design them, but on the jRPG-side those skills have gone completely, where in the past those two types of games sort of influenced each other.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I like the AP system used in Final Fantasy : The 4 Heroes of Light on NDS and Paper Sorcerer (expect for carrying remaining APs from one fight to the next in both cases, that's super retarded) where you gain 1 point per turn and need to guard if you want to collect extra points. Sometimes I'm thinking of exploring it for my games but among other things I fear it might be a bit slow with high party sizes, and I don't want to make compromises on party size.
Crystal Project lets you see what attacks the enemy has available, including precisely how much damage they deal, and indicates which move they are going to use and on who.
You might want to check Potato Flowers in Full Bloom if you like this. I almost want to recommend the Jam Game Deep Dark as well which is obviously a small scope game and you control only a single character but the resource management especially and choices based on whatever the enemy will do next was better than in most commercial games I've played.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer

Sadly when watching people play my games I've noticed people don't want to use their items. They like to collect items for a theoretical future fight or something but tend not to use them even when losing an encounter or just by dungeon attrition. This is why developers have made games easy to the point of never needing to use items.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sadly when watching people play my games I've noticed people don't want to use their items.
Pretty typical behaviour, often with the outcome that people come into boss fights with so many potions and items that they become trivial. One interesting solution to this dilemma I saw in a Zeboyd game where potions were basically like skills, you could use a limited amount per battle (and upgrade that amount over the course of the game) but you would never really run out of them. This made sure people actually used items. On the other hand, this made sure the game had no resource management at all.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Maybe potions need to go bad after a certain amount of time, with added bad effects, so players need to balance to hoard potions against them spoiling. Though like degradable weapons and armor, I assume some players would hate this idea.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think the simplest solution is to make inventory space, at least for consumables, limited. Actually, it's kind of even better if it's limited in general, because then people will be inclined to use a potion to make room for some loot, and once you get into that mindset, using them during combat makes more sense.

The other major part of the problem is that in the mid 90's or so, developers stopped restricting where players could save. I mean, technically they required save points, but putting one right before the boss at the end of the dungeon and letting the party recover there defeats the entire purpose of the dungeon to begin with. Every arrow fired after you leave town should be an arrow you don't have when you meet the boss. For that matter, when attrition like that is a real threat, you don't even need a boss to make a dungeon compelling. Trips between towns should be dangerous as well, not just a foregone conclusion.

Too many developers these days never understood the concept of attrition to begin with, and don't consider it to be a challenge to overcome, but simply something that spoiled their fun when they were about to 'win.' You get this with players too- not only will they not use their potions (or in other genres, things like grenades, bombs, cooldowns, etc.) but they'll then turn around and bitch about how they were 'forced' to grind to get past a boss or something. Maybe there should be a feature where if you lose a fight when you had healing items in the inventory, the game rubs your face in it, like when you die in a proper roguelike and it shows you your inventory to remind you of the six different ways you could have lived.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Baten Kaitos employs a deck/card-combo system for attacks/magic/items with numbers and elements (think yahtzee/poker) before it was cool, I liked it.
Chrono Cross uses a system where attacks "colour" the battlefield with their element in layers that effect the battle.
Resonance of Fate heavily ties positioning to combat (non gridbased, don't think FF tactics), very unique and fun. Watch a video.
The Last Remnant, something-something randomness positioning ogre battle something-something, just watch a video.

Terra

Cipher
I liked Grandia's timebar based system and ability to interrupt opponent attacks they'd committed to with criticals etc. The animation length and character positioning were both potentially important. Granted higher level abilities & spells instacasting kinda undermined its strengths in the lategame but the system foundations were really strong, ripe to picked up and further developed.

Valkyrie Profile 2 had a great system where I think time only flow as you moved around and acted. It really further developed the combo system from the first iteration into something special when you got to grips with the system. It's been far too long since I played it for me to remember all the nuances of how it worked though, only that the formula was interesting enough that I'd like to see it tried again.

Oh, the ability to climb on/scale enemies, strike at weak points etc as seen in Dragon's Dogma definitely would be a welcome addition to other games, but it requires technical competence to implement well.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
The other major part of the problem is that in the mid 90's or so, developers stopped restricting where players could save. I mean, technically they required save points, but putting one right before the boss at the end of the dungeon and letting the party recover there defeats the entire purpose of the dungeon to begin with.

I completely agree. The issue developers were trying to fix is people feel like they have wasted their time if they lose to a boss and have to do the whole dungeon over again. This will have people drop the game very quickly. Even with save points before bosses anytime a player hits a road bump it makes players drop-off.
You can see this easily by viewing achievement percentages on games. Like my first game you see a huge drop off of players once they reach the first "tough" boss.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The other major part of the problem is that in the mid 90's or so, developers stopped restricting where players could save. I mean, technically they required save points, but putting one right before the boss at the end of the dungeon and letting the party recover there defeats the entire purpose of the dungeon to begin with.

I completely agree. The issue developers were trying to fix is people feel like they have wasted their time if they lose to a boss and have to do the whole dungeon over again. This will have people drop the game very quickly. Even with save points before bosses anytime a player hits a road bump it makes players drop-off.
You can see this easily by viewing achievement percentages on games. Like my first game you see a huge drop off of players once they reach the first "tough" boss.
Well, it really depends on what you want, more people finishing your game (so you put in story mode) or a pure experience regardless of whether players reach the end or not. What you won't be able to do is make people enjoy harder experience if they don't like them. There's a group of people who like difficulty, but the larger segment of players don't and they want handholding or they won't play your game.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
personally I'm not a big fan of a system demanding you to juggle resistances and barriers and some such nonsense, imo positioning should be stressed far more (Radiant Historia is a stark example)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Well, it really depends on what you want, more people finishing your game (so you put in story mode) or a pure experience regardless of whether players reach the end or not. What you won't be able to do is make people enjoy harder experience if they don't like them. There's a group of people who like difficulty, but the larger segment of players don't and they want handholding or they won't play your game.
challenge.png

MerchantKing

Learned

Well, it really depends on what you want, more people finishing your game (so you put in story mode) or a pure experience regardless of whether players reach the end or not.
You do not play a game to get to the ending. There is no reason to even worry about people finishing the game.
What you won't be able to do is make people enjoy harder experience if they don't like them.
They don't have to enjoy it. Plain and simple.
There's a group of people who like difficulty, but the larger segment of players don't and they want handholding or they won't play your game.
It's unfortunate that they even touch computer games. They'd be better off watching the propaganda shows on the television and in the movie theater. There's no gameplay for them to dislike. And if they want an interactive movie, there are visual novels for them.

Crayll

Liturgist

The older Atelier games used to be excellent for this. They had a set number of days that they would last for before the game would end, sometimes with deadlines mixed in where if you didn't meet a certain objective by the deadline date, you'd get a game over. The games are focused on crafting equipment and consumables (healing items, damage dealing bombs, buff/debuff items, etc.) with quality and effects determined by the materials used, which are a major aspect of combat as the protagonist is always an alchemist instead of a great fighter or a mage.

Most actions in the game - traveling to locations, gathering materials, fighting monsters, actually crafting things - all took time, so you had to balance making and using items to progress, while not spending too many resources in battles, or taking too much time crafting, or you'd run the risk of not meeting a deadline and getting a game over.

Sadly the newer games dropped the time limit and have moved towards consumables being pseudo-unlimited use. I'd like to see another game take this kind of system and use it, but everyone bitches about the time limit in Atelier so there's probably no demand for it.

Sadly when watching people play my games I've noticed people don't want to use their items. They like to collect items for a theoretical future fight or something but tend not to use them even when losing an encounter or just by dungeon attrition. This is why developers have made games easy to the point of never needing to use items.

I think this is just a function of most games training players that that’s how games should be played. If a game wants the player to really be using items, it needs to train them that’s how the game is meant to be played. If a game really wants some kind of meaningful resource management it should probably spank the player right out of the gate for not properly managing their resources so the player can quickly learn the right and wrong way of playing the game and just jump right back in after dying. Like you can be hours into a RPG before discovering you maybe don’t need to be so frugal with health and stat busting items, and even then you might later discover that actually maybe you should have hung onto such and such thing. That said, I feel like there’s very few RPGs, or really games in general, where item management really matters.

The original Resident Evil does a pretty good job of teaching the player how the game is meant to be played. You play that first original Resident Evil game back in ‘96/‘97 and you might think it’s like every other game where you can just go around killing everything. And maybe if you get good with the knife later you can. But you start that game shooting everything and you’ll very quickly find you probably just need to start over because you don’t have any ammo, and that it’s not a game where you’re meant to fight every enemy.

Modron

Arcane
Nobody ever mentions Hybrid Heaven. What other game can you learn how to supplex by getting supplexed by an alien then turn around and return the favor? Learn various strikes, throws, and grapples from enemies performing them on you and attacks improve with use (and probably associated stats as well, it's been a while).

One game that flies under the radar and it's a total mechanics-fag and combat-fag game is Arc Rise Fantasia. It's most well-known for its awful english voice acting. It's really not so bad if you use a japanese undub patch, one of the main villains is even voiced by the same guy who voices DIO. Other than the fact the characters have an odd Team America puppet-esque uncanny valley look to them, I really enjoyed the game a lot.

It's nothing particularly groundbreaking, but the whole package leads to a unique combat system a great experience IMO. It's been years since I've played it, so I'm probably forgetting some things.

You've got turned-based combat with turn order shown and different moves taking varying amount of time. You have a meter-building limit break-esque system, those moves come off instantly and some characters have some extremely powerful or high-utility abilities that can justify their placement in the party, such as really strong defensive buffs (bosses are very high damage and generally pretty damn difficult).

Magic system is materia-esque, but depending on the combination of gems equipped you might get different utility spells and these can make a huge difference. Spells like Dispel Magic, Regeneration are almost a necessity. In-battle there's also combo magic- if several party members are casting fireball and the spells all finish on adjacent turns it becomes an empowered version of the spell and will do radically more damage. You're strapped for these materia gems throughout the game- so whether you're equipping them all on one character to unlock higher tier spells or handing them out to your party so they can perform empowered lower-tier spells is a decision you have to make, and may change depending on the encounter.

The party has a shared AP gauge and of course the stronger actions require more AP- knowing when to blow your wad or when to bank some of your AP for healing, buffing, etc is a constant consideration in some of these tougher boss fights. I cannot stress enough how big a ballbuster some of these bosses can be if you're not excessively farming. Movement and positioning is important- most of the powerful buffs and heals are AOE but this applies to bosses as well- I remember one later boss would shit out a deathbeam that would TPK my team without fail and I'd always have to make sure they were scattered.

Your main character gets his own special Summoning abilities that grant passive bonuses and drawbacks. I remember these being both elemental and stat-based. There is one big mid-game party vs. party fight (where the opposing party gets all the tools and limit breaks that you do) where you can miss out on one of the best summons if you lose the fight. Probably one of the toughest fights in the game that seems like a forced defeat scenario at first. A lot of these summons look p. cool too.

The most 'unique' aspect to the game would be its weapon system. All of your weapons do the exact same amount of damage- but they all have different inherent abilities and a tetris-like grid where you can equip different stat... tetris blocks? I think you had to level the weapons up (i used an AR code to just give a huge multiplier for 'weapon XP', because i didn't want to overlevel myself to 'unlock' all the weapons). The tetris blocks you put in your weapon grid have varying effects- from simple stat boosts, starting fights with buffs, enhanced item use, chance to inflict statuses or debuffs on attack. These status effects actually work pretty well, on bosses too, so having a character decked out with status-inflicting blocks so they'll build the party's AP meter with their regular attacks while debuffing enemies is a viable strategy. All of the blocks come in varying shapes and sizes depending on the power of the ability- and 'filling' the weapon unlocks a secret ability. But the point being that this is the furthest thing from 'this sword has +30 more ATK power' as far as JRPG itemization is concerned.

I'm writing more about this game than I ever really intended but most importantly it has big ol anime tiddies
RPJE7-U-2021-08-05-09-36-50.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom