Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #1: 10,000 copies sold, upcoming updates and future projects

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lastly, i hope (minority if not the single exception as that will make me) that from now on, having financial incentives and all they entail, the team will behave in a manner both professional and ethical, and refrain from overly commiting/engaging themselves in threads related to other titles. Of other studios or companies. While yes, hardly the direct fearful competition, principles are just that. And as such, they should be expected regardless.
The what now?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
You're in the vidya industry, therefore you're not allowed to have critical opinions of other games. Didn't you get the memo?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're in the vidya industry, therefore you're not allowed to have critical opinions of other games. Didn't you get the memo?
497.jpg

Aenra

The what now?

What's so hard to comprehend? The content of my post, or the reasoning?
Will bite for the sake of telling myself i left no room for misunderstandings, even though am fully aware you're more than intelligent enough to warrant an expanding :)

We have devs that sell games, live off the profits from said sales, that come here and post. Except:
- Some post in threads general and unspecific to any a title, or to those related to their games and their games alone. All great, if only they'd come and post more often;
- Some others post e-ve-ry-whe-re, criticise and are overly frank/demeaning over titles not their own, over titles in direct competition with theirs. Said competition having actual, tangible benefits. Same piece of the pie after all. That is not so great. It is endorsed, and i can see why, but it is also not so great.

Need i really spell it out more? Come on, you've been here long enough. Needs are one thing, principles another :)

Aenra

This thread provides the background info I think

You have done this before, and as then so and now i will reply, in vain as it is. What and why your hard-on is for me, i care not. You are entitled to it. See if you can work on it further, might get you some drama earned brofists :)
What you do need to comprehend if you will continue this further (you have already made the same allegations before) is that in this country we have dynamic IPs. Most of us anyway. The person you mention and myself are not related.

edit: As far as the rest of your post is concerned, we agree. It is very nice to have a forum where developers can be honest. As long as said honesty is in line with certain notions, as long as it is related to their work. You ever seen, i don't know, Steven Erikson going to RR Martin's forum and criticising his books for shit? No. You find that wrong? Or amiss?

Weasel
You have done this before, and as then so and now i will reply, in vain as it is. What and why your hard-on is for me, i care not. You are entitled to it. See if you can work on it further, might get you some drama earned brofists :)
What you do need to comprehend if you will continue this further (you have already made the same allegations before) is that in this country we have dynamic IPs. Most of us anyway. The person you mention and myself are not related.

edit: As far as the rest of your post is concerned, we agree. It is very nice to have a forum where developers can be honest. As long as said honesty is in line with certain notions, as long as it is related to their work. You ever seeing, i don't know, Steven Erikson going to RR Martin's forum and criticising his books for shit? No. You find that wrong? Or amiss?

Don't have a hard on, just providing the backstory to the "other" account which had the same views on this issue. Views which don't seem to be shared by many here. I'd rather devs speak openly, given that other sites are so PR-massaged. If they shitpost about other games they get called out on it. Like the rest of us. Not sure what MRY and Angthoron did to get you so riled up.

Aenra

Don't have a hard on, just providing the backstory to the "other" account which had the same views on this issue. Views which don't seem to be shared by many here. I'd rather devs speak openly, given that other sites are so PR-massaged. If they shitpost about other games they get called out on it. Like the rest of us. Not sure what MRY and Angthoron did to get you so riled up.

Of course you don't have a hard-on for me. It is evident from your repeating yourself word for word, as if i did not even reply to your first post :)
I could go on to mention, again, about honesty and how i too value it, but it seems when you have an opinion, you are uninterested in even listening. Already, you've said the same thing twice, and never mind the input.

Food for thought however..do devs get called out for shitposting? Do they really?

I found all that Bloom to be awe-inspiring. I was indeed sad to have seen manboons such as yourselves condemning it. Will never forget ^^
And those mudcrabs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
- Some others post e-ve-ry-whe-re, criticise and are overly frank/demeaning over titles not their own, over titles in direct competition with theirs. Said competition having actual, tangible benefits. Same piece of the pie after all. That is not so great. It is endorsed, and i can see why, but it is also not so great.
I'm not sure what direct competition means here. If I were to unwisely, unprofessionally, and perhaps even unethically complain about Fallout 4, which I'm sure is an amazing game, would people really suspect that I'm doing it to steal sales from them?

Anyway, for the record, I agree with you. I probably shouldn't talk about other RPGs anymore. Whether or not I'd able to resist the temptation remains to be seen.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
An exploration-fag party-based sci-fi game? That is not good at all, VD. You are making really difficult to dismiss your work now. You are a fucking nobody, but I can’t dismiss your work. Wait, an image is forming in my head.

psychic-mediums.jpg

Does the letters ‘U’ and “I” means anything to you? I get it! Someone in the near future will dismissively describe this game as an Underrail rip-off!

Why do I get the feeling that Colony Ship RPG is going to end up being "Iron Tower Studio's not-UnderRail"

Aha!

We aren't trying to copy Underrail (the work of a genius can't be replicated) but we do want to branch out and have at least two, if not three, differently designed games to avoid offering more of the same in different wrappers.
Both Underrail and your future game are just Fallout rip-offs. :M

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The dungeon crawler doesn't sound like it's going to sell at all.
It sounds pretty questionable to me too. A "linear, combat RPG with minimum dialogues and 'quests' revolving around killing" doesn't sound like what Iron Tower's audience wants, and the market's already flooded with them.

aratuk

Cipher
Unethical for developers to criticize others' games?

Offering negative examples – examples of what NOT to do – is one of the primary ways to discuss how to approach a project in any medium. Of course such criticism might have different and interesting motivations, other than purely aesthetic ones, when offered by potential competitors, but that's free speech. People unduly censor themselves all too often; it's refreshing when they unduly *fail* to censor themselves.

This is an odd forum in which to ask someone to feed you only sunshine and good vibes.

The dungeon crawler doesn't sound like it's going to sell at all.

Legend of Deca-rock™

Zeriel

Arcane
It sounds pretty questionable to me too. A "linear, combat RPG with minimum dialogues and 'quests' revolving around killing" doesn't sound like what Iron Tower's audience wants, and the market's already flooded with them.

That and the number of people who like AoD for the combat seem pretty small. I could understand if the dungeon crawler is going to be super easy and have fireballs flying around, but otherwise I dunno... I guess it is appealing from a "something we can make quick with an engine we know" standpoint. That's about it, though.

Esquilax

Arcane
That and the number of people who like AoD for the combat seem pretty small. I could understand if the dungeon crawler is going to be super easy and have fireballs flying around, but otherwise I dunno... I guess it is appealing from a "something we can make quick with an engine we know" standpoint. That's about it, though.

I have a feeling that ITS wants to experiment a bit with party-based combat mechanics with minimal time and financial investment. They can try things out, see how they work, and potentially see how things might translate for the colony ship RPG.

That being said, I'd much rather see an expansion in the AoD setting, though given what Vince has said earlier (a city and all associated quests takes roughly a year) it would involve a ton of time investment in a setting that I'm pretty sure that he's getting pretty fucking sick of after a decade.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not sure what direct competition means here. If I were to unwisely, unprofessionally, and perhaps even unethically complain about Fallout 4, which I'm sure is an amazing game, would people really suspect that I'm doing it to steal sales from them?

Anyway, for the record, I agree with you. I probably shouldn't talk about other RPGs anymore. Whether or not I'd able to resist the temptation remains to be seen.
Still looking forward To your W2 DC review VD and seeing how Fargo and Sven dont mind kickstarting some shit up why dont you kickstart the Sci Fi game? If that helps get a team to work on it and develop a true game study more power to you

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Game devs have that circlejerk going on and won't usually criticize others' games, and Aenra you see that as being professional. Actually it isn't, it's strategical, and done only because the publisher who made it might be the one hiring them next. Also the devs might have to hold themselves to the same standards, which is usually a problem.

So you're telling me that VD, who's free of all that publisher thing, and does hold himself to the standard of his own criticism, shouldn't criticize others? That's bullshit! He's in this because he thought he could do it differently, because he could apply the criticism he put forward as a way to make the design better. His criticism of others' games acutally justifies his design decisions.

I probably shouldn't talk about other RPGs anymore.
Please do. After all, that's what hooked many of us in in the first place.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom