Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #1: 10,000 copies sold, upcoming updates and future projects

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Someone advocating FOR political/social/professional correctness... on the Codex?
:what:

Fuck that. VD, I hope you remain as critical AND as vocal as you've always been here.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Game devs have that circlejerk going on and won't usually criticize others' games

That depends. If the developer feels he will not receive backlash, he will insult every developer on earth on a codexian fashion. I will never forget this sad scene on the Obsidian forums. A developer from Bethesda bragging about how they were so smart in making Skyrm and selling millions. The guy had a borderline insulting behavior with Sawyer, and he couldn’t say anything back. I also remember some guys, I think they were from CD Project, demolishing W2 for the wrong reasons. This time they heard something back, because we live in different times, but they were not polite, I can tell you that.

Please do. After all, that's what hooked many of us in in the first place.

I think that Oscar know VD just because he read his Oblivion's review! I also like his reviews a lot, but he wasted too much time doing reviews for the Codex. A time that he could invest in AoD’s development.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of Decadence 2 as party based game? or Fallout like PC+Recruteable NPCs would be blast just rescued Amorian Gold... I mean Amorian after either losing him or being sliced to pieces by using liquid fire and poison which made huge difference in fights and such battles like Assassination of Antidas in IG line or 300 like battle with Barbarians show how much potential this system has even for small scale squad tactics game. But I do understands that Vince and his team are rightly fed up with this setting after 11 years... Well cant wait to see what they will make next and maybe Kickstarter which will give them more publicity... Seriously AoD beats both of Wasteland 2 and DDOS and its only ''fault'' from market perspective its being too hard core and difficult.... If you want sell 100 000-1 000 000 range instead of 10 000 just add the easy setting/Awesome mode and let retards fund your next titles with their shekels this is what any AoD ''Hero'' would do... And Yes I decided to back the Aod after reading Vince Oblibion review too... Someone as honest about the pos everybody lauded then was sure trustworthy enough to give him 25 Imperials in advance.

likaq

Arcane
A developer from Bethesda bragging about how they were so smart in making Skyrm and selling millions. The guy had a borderline insulting behavior with Sawyer, and he couldn’t say anything back.

Do you remember thread name? or username used by beth dev?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've never heard about it, but I don't pay much attention to the Obsidian forums, and especially wouldn't read a Skyrim thread.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Do you remember thread name? or username used by beth dev?

I thought everybody knew this. Sorry, bro. I don't remember. The only thing I remember is that Sawyer keep posting about gameplay and stuff and the Bethesda guy keep saying shit in return.

What about CD Projekt vs Wasteland 2? I don't recall that one either.

I think Roguey posted about this on the Codex.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I guess I should actually play this now. Apart from a few of the demos I've been holding off because I didn't want to spoil it.

Aod still is on between 125-175 place on steam for few days in a row now. And 9th on gog. Giving the power of word of mouth it's possible, the sales won't make a very big dip down after the premiere.

John Yossarian

Magister
The reasons VD is using to say "shouldn't" have existed for a while now, and they sure as shit haven't stopped him so far...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Steam Christmas sale is coming up in not too long. Does Valve just decide on their own what to discount?

Black

Arcane
Pretty sure it's devs/publishers who decide if and how much to discount.

Mustawd

- Some others post e-ve-ry-whe-re, criticise and are overly frank/demeaning over titles not their own, over titles in direct competition with theirs. Said competition having actual, tangible benefits. Same piece of the pie after all. That is not so great. It is endorsed, and i can see why, but it is also not so great.

Need i really spell it out more? Come on, you've been here long enough. Needs are one thing, principles another :)

It's interesting that you don't really state your reasoning for why this is a bad thing. Game developers sell a game to a community. In VD's case the Dex is a large representation of the audience he's trying to reach. If that audience is ok with him being frank about other games, then he really has no need to censor himself in the way you're describing. If his criticism/frankness turns off his audience then his sales will suffer. Simple as that.

What you're referring to is putting professional courtesy (don't criticize other products) over frank and open discussion. That's fine and dandy and a totally acceptable way to go about your business. It does not necessarily mean that you HAVE to do that. If you want to be a dev and still discuss RPGs I see no ethical issues with discussing how you don't like so and so product.

Now f you think it's "professional" to refrain form doing so. Yeah, I'd say it's definitely more of a "get along and go along" mentality. But by no means is it necessary. Look at Apple and Microsoft. You think it'd be hard to find quotes where Steve Jobs is dissing Microsoft products and vice versa?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's interesting that you don't really state your reasoning for why this is a bad thing.

For a developer, there are only two reasons for avoiding expressing your criticisms. One is epistemic, i.e., if the developer doesn’t have good reasons to make his criticisms, he should keep his mouth shut. That doesn’t apply to VD at all. The other one is prudential, i.e., if the target of your criticisms can make your life more difficult is wise to keep your mouth shut. Since VD doesn’t need publishers and causal fans, he doesn’t need to worry about this either. Therefore, he can make whatever criticisms he wants.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
A diplomat playthrough would still be possible, yeah?
Possibly (too early to talk about, will depend on the final design). The game will be focused on the exploration rather than dealing with factions like AoD and pure talkers might be a handicap there. For example, one of the reasons we didn't do the final temple a-la Indiana Jones' adventure because it would have stopped the talkers dead.

There will be a non-combat path, that's for sure, but it will be probably involve a mix of talking and other skills (science or stealth).

Steam Christmas sale is coming up in not too long. Does Valve just decide on their own what to discount?
Steam doesn't force developers in any way. You submit your proposed discount and duration and Steam either accepts or rejects with explanation.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's interesting that you don't really state your reasoning for why this is a bad thing. Game developers sell a game to a community. In VD's case the Dex is a large representation of the audience he's trying to reach. If that audience is ok with him being frank about other games, then he really has no need to censor himself in the way you're describing. If his criticism/frankness turns off his audience then his sales will suffer. Simple as that.

What you're referring to is putting professional courtesy (don't criticize other products) over frank and open discussion. That's fine and dandy and a totally acceptable way to go about your business. It does not necessarily mean that you HAVE to do that. If you want to be a dev and still discuss RPGs I see no ethical issues with discussing how you don't like so and so product.

Now f you think it's "professional" to refrain form doing so. Yeah, I'd say it's definitely more of a "get along and go along" mentality. But by no means is it necessary. Look at Apple and Microsoft. You think it'd be hard to find quotes where Steve Jobs is dissing Microsoft products and vice versa?

I see it as market control type of thing.
My country have rules and regulations against any company shitting on their competitors openly for any reason.
For that reason, Subway can't create a marketing campaign saying anyone eating at McDonald is a retard who should off himself or go get redemption by eating at one of Subway joint.
Not that it stop them from shitting on their competitors creatively and through other less open ways. But the latter is far more acceptable not only in legal ways, but also to the general public who don't like open conflict on services and products that they use.
Just like no car companies will openly market themselves as "at least we are not as shitty nor scummy as Volkswagen" right now but their dealers are pretty much going to imply it through other methods.
The same apply to every other field which include the video game industry, of course.

For devs, feel free to shit on and openly fight it out with other devs.
Just don't be surprised that it leave a bad taste in a lot of people mind long after the incident.
And in the Internet, unless you are talking it out through a private channel or anonymously, everything we say or do IS done openly.

Last edited:

Mustawd

My country have rules and regulations against any company shitting on their competitors openly for any reason.

Yeah, makes sense to have cultural differences. The US definitely has a more lax policy of this, as it pointing out glaring differences between products is actually to the benefit of the consumer. At least that's how a lot of us view it here. To be honest, side to side comparison is how I tend to shop anyhow.

For devs, feel free to shit on and openly fight it out with other devs.
Just don't be surprised that it leave a bad taste in a lot of people mind long after the incident.
And in the Internet, unless you are talking it out through a private channel or anonymously, everything we say or do IS done openly.

Yeah, this was basically my point. There's a difference between shitting on and talking openly about products/companies. There's also a difference between potential customer groups, say the Codex crowd and a more expansive audience like Bethesda has. In niche communities, it's acceptable to basically say "Well, reason I'm niche is because generally available commercial product X sucks, and I want to change that by looking for or creating an alternative".

So if VD says, FO4 sucks ass. Then I go, "yeah, it does look like it will suck" or I am free to disagree. If he says Oblivion sucks, I go, "yeah makes sense" or whatever. I don't gasp in astonishment in that he criticized another dev or studio. If he just attacks them without reason and makes it personal, then yeah, I think a lot of us would probably find that a bit tasteless; even here.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Have the balls to speak out. If you're the kind of the dev that doesn't need a job in the "industry" there's no reason for pussyfooting.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The moral of this story is that vidya games are serious business and one must act accordingly and always carry a business card (and none of that cheap shit you can get for 20 bucks but something with an appropriate, one might even say tasteful, thickness).

american-card.gif

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, Brian Fargo proves its purely strategical and not professional. He started badmouthing publishers as soon as he felt he no longer needed them.

The moral of this story is that vidya games are serious business and one must act accordingly and always carry a business card (and none of that cheap shit you can get for 20 bucks but something with an appropriate, one might even say tasteful, thickness).

american-card.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom