Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

KateMicucci

Arcane
Crowley's books are all great. Narrative stuff like "Lord Fumblebottom was sweating as he approached the castle" used to bother me (how could you possibly know that?) until I gave up and learned to accept that all history is fictional anyway.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there women working on AoE IV that are in a position to take the game in this direction? The idea of that stag is like taken from Harry Potter and we all know women love those movies.

Sarathiour

Cipher
2hwtc.jpg

It's not even that it looks bad, but the games seems to be lacking an artistic direction, and just try some random or generic monile stuff.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there women working on AoE IV that are in a position to take the game in this direction? The idea of that stag is like taken from Harry Potter and we all know women love those movies.
The problem here might be more a PR thing - PR definitely has more women in it (at least in every business I've worked in).
I don't see a problem with there being a mystical stag in the game. It's weird, but minimal resource effort, so who cares.

The update does not seem bad otherwise from a feature perspective.

But yes, why you'd focus so much on irrelevant stuff like a stag or a "villager appreciation station" in a season trailer?
Beats me :lol:

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Glad they're taking it somewhere far far away from AoE2. I would've bet this would've gotten the Xbox port sooner but I guess making art for the skinner-box is the top priority for Relic. That reminds me, did anyone post about AoE2 being ported to Xbox?

The rabbit hole is deeper than HP. Have you heard of Shadow & Bone?
Magical albino stags are present in a shitload of fictional works spanning centuries and in a lot of ancient cultures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_stag

Yeah just as an example - St. Hubertus is the patron saint of hunters, mathematicians, opticians and metalworkers. The white stag vision was attributed to him in the 15th C. I have attached a pic of an inlaid lid from a Mettlach stein depicting St. Hubertus & the stag, circa 1892.

Attachments

• Hubertus pic.jpg
    Hubertus pic.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 49

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Magical albino stags are present in a shitload of fictional works spanning centuries and in a lot of ancient cultures.

Yeah just as an example - St. Hubertus is the patron saint of hunters, mathematicians, opticians and metalworkers. The white stag vision was attributed to him in the 15th C. I have attached a pic of an inlaid lid from a Mettlach stein depicting St. Hubertus & the stag, circa 1892.
That's cool to know, but I didn't mean to say that a single derivative chicklit fantasy novel invented the mythical stag trope.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

There's a pretty nice painting of it done by Willhelm Rauber(called "The Conversion of Holy Hubertus"):

Wilhelm_R%C3%A4uber_Hubertus.jpg

Caim

Arcane
There's a pretty nice painting of it done by Willhelm Rauber(called "The Conversion of Holy Hubertus"):

Wilhelm_R%C3%A4uber_Hubertus.jpg
I like the symbolism of a stag with the Cross between its antlers, but there's been some funky interpretations of this. First there's this painting by Brueghel the Elder and Rubens:

La_Visi%C3%B3n_de_San_Huberto_por_Jan_Brueghel_el_Viejo_con_Rubens.jpg

It kinda loses its impact when the Cross can fit in the plm of your hand. But then in comes Lamber Mathieu and he's all like:

Lambert_Mathieu_%281804-1861%29_De_bekering_van_Sint-Hubertus_Saint-Hubert_%281846%29_Basiliek_van_Sint-Hubertus_24-02-2021.jpg

Bam, entire crucifix. But the most commonly known version of the imagery is of course this one:

jagermeister-logo-2-e1573914387874.png

L'ennui

Magister
First impressions of the Xbox port:

They cracked the controller interface problem. I might actually prefer playing this on console now. They added a new semi-automation system where you assign resource priorities and newly created villagers will get to work on their own, even building farms for food. Kind of reminds me of Rise of Nations, actually. Controlling units, finding buildings, using the minimap, etc. all can be done easily and efficiently.

Surprisingly, they have also included the same mod support as the PC version. I'm playing with the exact same mods and game settings as on PC, I didn't think that would be possible.

Framerate is smooth on an Xbox Series X, with some very minor slowdowns in late-game skirmishes because of the aforementioned mods (1000 pop limit is naturally much harder on the CPU).

I felt guilty buying a game at full price, but I'm a sucker for RTS and wanted to see the "state of the art" of their implementation on console. All in all, very pleased with the game and would recommend.

vota DC

Augur
First impressions of the Xbox port:

They cracked the controller interface problem. I might actually prefer playing this on console now. They added a new semi-automation system where you assign resource priorities and newly created villagers will get to work on their own, even building farms for food. Kind of reminds me of Rise of Nations, actually. Controlling units, finding buildings, using the minimap, etc. all can be done easily and efficiently.

Surprisingly, they have also included the same mod support as the PC version. I'm playing with the exact same mods and game settings as on PC, I didn't think that would be possible.

Framerate is smooth on an Xbox Series X, with some very minor slowdowns in late-game skirmishes because of the aforementioned mods (1000 pop limit is naturally much harder on the CPU).

I felt guilty buying a game at full price, but I'm a sucker for RTS and wanted to see the "state of the art" of their implementation on console. All in all, very pleased with the game and would recommend.
It isn't much effort. You want to give +1 spearman damage to a civ? You can't because you need to create a new weapon (damage Is tied on weapon and not on the unit unlike HP or armor) but you can't add new weapons or units.....or you can but nobody bothered to explain how because their own modding forum section Is a desert and developers are too busy to throw parties/tournaments for YouTube influencers that don't even enjoy the game.
You can freely change regular units for all civs or change unique units but no space for any total conversion.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Hit me with it Codex. I love AoE1 and especially 2. 3 is whatever.

Is 4 fun? Is it too much of a departure from the old games?

Sarathiour

Cipher
I'll give it a solid meh out of ten.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom