Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age Of Fear 4: The Iron Killer

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Aaaaaand today's key has GONE! Winner on YouTube. That leaves 4 keys left. Try again tomorrow, k? :) Love yas! <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey! Fluent's back on the 'dex! Miracles do happen. How ya doin', bro?

Heyyyy, Jack! :) Miracles definitely DO happen! Everyday! I'm doing great, can't complain at all. Life is good, momma is doing well, God is good! That's all I need. :) How are u buddy? Life treating u well I hope! <3

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Hey! Fluent's back on the 'dex! Miracles do happen. How ya doin', bro?

Heyyyy, Jack! :) Miracles definitely DO happen! Everyday! I'm doing great, can't complain at all. Life is good, momma is doing well, God is good! That's all I need. :) How are u buddy? Life treating u well I hope! <3

Oh, I'm doing okay. Yo momma? I never saw you mention her before, just your stepdad. Cheers.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Oh, I'm doing okay. Yo momma? I never saw you mention her before, just your stepdad. Cheers.

Glad to hear you're doing okay, brother. My momma is my everything. The past few years she's developed severe heart problems, but she's gone thru the steps and today has a healthy heart because of it. And now she's more vibrant than ever! God is good. :)

I don't have a stepdad anymore, I don't consider him one at least. They got divorced and he's off somewhere else now. So all is good over here! Life is treating us pretty well and we are beyond blessed. :) Thanks for asking! <3

Edit - Also, sorry for the thread derail. Just 2 ol' chaps reuniting on the dex, sharing a quick word. :P

Again, 4 keys to give away but the next one won't be available until tomorrow. Probably early my time, too! Like say, 10ish AM EST. Be around my YouTube channel then (I would recommend subscribing but that's entirely up to you) and you'll have a chance to win it. :)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Beat the game and got the normal ending (seems there are 3, worst-normal-best), clocked in around 20 hours which is respectable.
Went ahead and beat Aof2 demon campaign after and took me 10 hours, so seems the single aof3 campaign is beefy enough to justify there not being 2 racial campaigns.

Can confirm a lot of the open world features got ported to the previous games and it seems to make the previous Aof games easier as you get access to a lot more units then just what you were limited to with your base faction (getting healers like human priests or orc shamans in your demon army is a gamechanger to say the least, sure you take a big morale hit but it's worth it and you can stack team morale buffs from items and skills to help mitigate) but I guess this just means I should start playing on deathseeker now. Cheers again for the game, looking forward to replaying it once all the DLC are out to 100% it.

Oh also just noticed Les added an option so that all units can equip weapons or armor. Starting an aof3 run with this on as it means you can keep a crappy t1 unit you've grown fond of throughout the game whilst decking it out in legendary gear to remain competitive, a nice add.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Cheers back at u, Brother, for playing and enjoying this great game and series! I'm more than happy to give away keys to people who genuinely love Les's games. :) i too am going to DeathSeeker. I plan on starting some mod campaigns actually on DS. I have a little insider information. Let's just say, stay tuned for some GREAT things from Les & crew. More is going on behind the scenes there...juicy!! :D

And again, if u want to win one of 4 keys I have left, tune into my youtube tomorrow - www.youtube.com/gamegodfluent - at 10:00 AM EST...and watch the first giveaway video I posted up there ^^^. Hope to see u there! <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Gave away another key, down to 3 keys left. If anyone wants in, be quick to view my video on youtube @ 12:00PM EST!! Key 3 will be given away then. Hope u win!! <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Go get the key for my latest video! It's still unclaimed. :) Watch the first giveaway video posted here to see how to win it.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Key #4 is available! No one's claimed it yet. Do u want a free copy of the game? Go get it! :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
and with that I'm all out of keys! Thanks to everyone who participated, it was fun seeing different names commenting and winning keys! :) Now back to my playthrough of the actual game, heh. :)

Game note - Speed buffs and debuffs don't stack! Just learned this from Les. basically, it takes the highest buff and highest debuff and subtracts the debuff from the buff. If u have no debuff then it just takes the highest speed buff, which I have found on gear and thru skills to be 30%. other buffs do stack of course. hope this helps! <3

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Discovered a fun option that breaks the game if abused but is still nice to have when you're in the mood for it: you can enable all units to equip gear just like your heroes. So go on, take your crappy t1 starter unit and deck them in legendary gear to remain competitive. Balance wise you trivialize the game if you abuse it as you can make some obscene combinations, especially with nagas, but since you tend to accumulate a vast armory of weapons you can't use for your heroes this is a decent feature to reward units you've grown fond of and want to keep around when flashier late game units are unlocked. And I guess if you enable this there really is no excuse not to play on DS difficulty anymore.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Discovered a fun option that breaks the game if abused but is still nice to have when you're in the mood for it: you can enable all units to equip gear just like your heroes. So go on, take your crappy t1 starter unit and deck them in legendary gear to remain competitive. Balance wise this breaks the game as you can make some obscene combinations, especially with nagas, but since you tend to accumulate a vast armory of weapons you can't use for your heroes this is a decent feature. And I guess if you enable this there really is no excuse not to play on DS difficulty anymore.

Yeah, that is a fun feature! I actually proposed to Les some sort of weapon proficiency system for units with arms. Like, a small Mandrake Root could use a shiv or a dagger, an Ent can wield a greatsword, etc.. I think that would be pretty awesome, but the game would have to be designed around that because as u said, the balance breaks down if u use that option currently. I'd also like to see the proficiency system with weapon class skills. So the greatsword category could have a Great Swing attack (500 XP), that is a multi-attack, for example, hitting 2 or 3 enemies within reach. Stuff like that would really add even more to the flavor imo. Plus I just love the idea of a Mandrake Root using a dagger. :P

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
More options to spend xp on for units would be nice. The mandrake is a good example of that actually, it has no evolutions and although it is a decent unit, if you're like me you stop using it quickly as it is easy to max out everything you can buy for it so once you do it remains on the bench forever until you need it for some mission that requires its specific set of skills. Weapon proficiences seems like it would be a complete overhaul of gear and units so will see if Les is up to tackle that task.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
More options to spend xp on for units would be nice. The mandrake is a good example of that actually, it has no evolutions and although it is a decent unit, if you're like me you stop using it quickly as it is easy to max out everything you can buy for it so once you do it remains on the bench forever until you need it for some mission that requires its specific set of skills. Weapon proficiences seems like it would be a complete overhaul of gear and units so will see if Les is up to tackle that task.

@ the Mandrake, exactly! Now imagine if it could use a dagger weapon class. Equip it with some legendary dagger that adds +1 Fire Damage, and you've got a Mandrake that poisons on attack + does 1 extra fire damage. It would at least be more interesting and be a possibility to use rather than being resigned to the bench.

Weapon Proficencies would be a big overhaul but giving units with arms a weapon class or two they can specialize in would be awesome imo. I have to bug Les more about it :P . Nah, hopefully he does it and I'll give him more ideas like this as I come up with them. U guys can chip in too and let me know any features you'd like to see! I'll pass them on to Les. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So apparently Age Of Fear 4 has to be tweaked a bit more in my game. Maybe I have a bug, I'm not sure, but progression is on the super hard side right now in terms of enemy scaling. Enemy teams are always outnumbering me but with more elite units as well, and i don't have the resources to even upgrade my base yet. For some reason the game thinks i'm packing more punch than I actually am. Les is fixing it, taking a look at my save file tonight and will let me know tomorrow. Hopefully everything is on the up and up tomorrow, I'm sure Les will fix it quickly because he always does, lol. But yeah, the game is a ton of fun, just did a certain mine guard and inside mine mini-dungeon crawl, and those 2 fights were epicly fun. :) Hard as nails, but fun! Once this is tweaked a bit and I can actually breathe a bit in combat it will be even better. I'm also learning to use potions a lot more and that is helping too, but the game definitely is out to destroy me right now. :P

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So, there's nothing wrong with my save file or game at all, it's just that I've hit 60+% game progress. That determines my enemies and such, so I've just got to git gud. With that said I sold some gold bars and made a determined effort to field a much better party. Right now, my crew is:

Angela (dual wielding pistols)
Nazell
2 Naga Warriors
3 Naga Archers
1 Mermaid (might get a 2nd one for extra healing)
1 Sea Witch
1 Octopod
1 extra Naga Warrior if space allows
others

I've had to step that up and since I have the story progress has gotten a lot smoother. I'm thinking about dipping into the DLC now, too. Having a blast so far and each battle in the story is really unique, cool and fun. Enjoying it. :) Hope u guys are too! <3

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Imo, this is the worst age of fear. Balancing is very poor, Naga Archers with lightning massacre everything if you combo with a sea witch and weather change, but on maps where you can´t change the weather, they kinda suck. Kraken are worse treants/hydras and the rest of the seaman roster is just boring comparing to the other factions imo. Also the Hero team is vastly inferior to the last one (Drider/Nymph).

Still an okay game, but its nowhere near as good as 3rd was.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Imo, this is the worst age of fear. Balancing is very poor, Naga Archers with lightning massacre everything if you combo with a sea witch and weather change, but on maps where you can´t change the weather, they kinda suck. Kraken are worse treants/hydras and the rest of the seaman roster is just boring comparing to the other factions imo. Also the Hero team is vastly inferior to the last one (Drider/Nymph).

Still an okay game, but its nowhere near as good as 3rd was.

Well, I'll respond to this. Balancing still needs some tweaking, I agree. To say Naga Archers are bad on maps where u can't change the weather, though, I have to very much disagree with. 3 shots with a long range weapon is priceless in any fight imho.

Haven't experienced Kraken yet. Have limited but growing experience with an Octopod. And also, the secret creature
Crab God,
is pretty nasty and great. :)

The rest of the Sea People aren't really boring, they just need better balancing imo. I'd like an option to use creatures like Jellyfish and Sea Harpooners, but the main winning strategy, at least on Hard and above, is to get a few Naga Warriors, a few Naga Archers and then supplement with support classes. So to me, it seems like you're sort of railroaded into that group because of their needed efficiency, rather than creating a more diverse group because it's cool to do so.

Here's something that could help that - tiered units. Something like Regular/Veteran/Elite, but in terms of what skills they can learn. Maybe it would be graded units. For example, u could have an A+ unit and a C- unit of the same type. The higher graded unit could learn more useful and stronger skills than the C- unit. This would let u do things like, say, use a weaker unit type (for example let's say Sea Harpooner), yet if it's graded highly it would have the skills to compete with the strongest units. Does that make sense? I want to pitch this idea to Les because I feel it would expand diversity and really let u tinker with your type of group any way you want. Although it would be a lot of work to do...

As for the heroes, Nairi and Balvar were great, but I do enjoy Angela and Nazell. I really like Angela's shooty abilities, and Nazell delivers the damage with magic. Dialogue wise they are great, but different than the Dryad and Drider. Not better or worse, just different. I get plenty of chuckles from their interactions as well, and I think the more open-endedness of some of the quests, with options of doing different actions that have consequences, is a nice move from the more straightforward Age Of Fear 3.

Thanks for your input, rashi! I appreciate it. :) Gave me something to respond to this morning. :) Much love and take care. <3

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Thanks for the key, Fluent. After 15 hours Im done. I agree with rashiakas this is hands down the weakest of the series.

I didnt like the 'upgrade your base' mechanic, as I felt I had to grind for random drops. Previous Age of Fear never felt grindy to me, even with the poorly implemented open world features. I could ignore it mostly, and play the 'original' way.

The UI (outside of combat) is really starting to piss me off. Its sucks in the last games and it sucks in this one. I didnt even bother crafting because if it.

Too much 'your small squad stuck large scale battles' -BORING WAIT TIMES

I still liked the time I spent with the game... but you gave it to me... so ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom