Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 4

Dr1f7

Scholar
shadow magic looks great

2.png

new game looks shit. modern devs have no taste

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
It's bad and literally unplayable in both single and multiplayer/PvP due to horrendous balance issues.
Single player is not perfect, but certainly not unplayable. None of the AoW games are particularly well-balanced, not that it matters much for the single player experience. I am rather impressed how "unbroken" the game is, given the ruler options and the tome system. This could have turned easily into a much bigger mess.

The part about multiplayer seems to be true, the forum is full of complaints about it. Apparently it runs horribly and is unstable. Anyone interested in MP should probably avoid it, or make sure to check the forum first. There are also already a couple of balance mods from the mp community, but I haven't checked them out. It seems that basic properties for balance can be modded fairly easily.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
I am afraid we will never get an improved version of AoW III, at least not by Triumph. A dev basically stated that the games are not made explicitly to appeal to fans of the predecessors, but are supposed to be their own thing.

"It is quite literally what we've done with AoW, 2, SM, 3 and Planetfall. Each title was it's own unique game that diverted from it's predecessor and allowed both to exist within in the same space."

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/aow-4-vs-aow-iii.1706930/post-29918828

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
My god those posts by that one infamous Triumph guy are wild. Somebody lock him away in prison so his bad ideas don't spread.

Dr1f7

Scholar
"It is quite literally what we've done with AoW, 2, SM, 3 and Planetfall. Each title was it's own unique game that diverted from it's predecessor and allowed both to exist within in the same space."
translation: "we want more money so we're taking our established fans for granted and changing a bunch of shit also u want archons that'll be $20 + tip lol"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh yea, AoW, 2, SM, 3 and Planetfall are completely unique, totally unrelated, they're literally ranging from an RTS to a shooter, a survival game, a football manager and a hentai fapping assistant.

What a load of bull, jesus.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
Oh yea, AoW, 2, SM, 3 and Planetfall are completely unique, totally unrelated, they're literally ranging from an RTS to a shooter, a survival game, a football manager and a hentai fapping assistant.

What a load of bull, jesus.

I didn't want to copy the whole thread, so the quote that I gave sounds more unreasonable than it is within the context of the discussion.

There is a interesting answer to a question about the goals and audience AoW4 is aiming for. Also a tidbit about AoWIII requiring a private investor to be released. But anyone interested can read it on their own,
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/aow-4-vs-aow-iii.1706930/post-29920668

The next dlc also comes with a free patch, and it seems that the hero skills got a large rework. There are now proper skill trees and hero classes, and tomes do no longer include hero skills. The governor stuff also got reworked and heroes can unlock larger economical boni by earning renown, which is obtained by full filling conditions. The skill tree stuff is shown in the dlc dev steam at ~35:30.

https://www.youtube.com/live/cWjtLmVqxs0?si=4H4VOmBywwjjl7MQ&t=2127

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Even ignoring the massive balance issues, this game is just bland and has no identity. Everything is just too free, so there's never creativity involved in making a faction, the best things are simply the best always.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The people who enjoyed the older AoW games surely can't be fans of this one, so the only people left are Reddit zoomers who don't know any better.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Original and Shadow Magic is fun. I have a huge list of feedback/rants for the devs but not sure I care enough to send it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I didn't want to copy the whole thread, so the quote that I gave sounds more unreasonable than it is within the context of the discussion.

There is a interesting answer to a question about the goals and audience AoW4 is aiming for. Also a tidbit about AoWIII requiring a private investor to be released. But anyone interested can read it on their own,
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/aow-4-vs-aow-iii.1706930/post-29920668

The next dlc also comes with a free patch, and it seems that the hero skills got a large rework. There are now proper skill trees and hero classes, and tomes do no longer include hero skills. The governor stuff also got reworked and heroes can unlock larger economical boni by earning renown, which is obtained by full filling conditions. The skill tree stuff is shown in the dlc dev steam at ~35:30.

https://www.youtube.com/live/cWjtLmVqxs0?si=4H4VOmBywwjjl7MQ&t=2127
So they even adopted the "completely replacing a mechanic with another one at random intervals long after game's release" from paradox now, huh? Not very subtle.

Also tried reading that linked rant. Planetfall's aim was to ”expand their audience by providing a game developed for hardcore strategy gamer"?? Literally what the fuck is he on about.

AoW3 was a fluke and these people have no clue. The entire secret behind 4's success was dropping series' identity and shoving cuckadox and nuciv in its place. Yaaaay, good for you, but you can feck off now.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even ignoring the massive balance issues, this game is just bland and has no identity. Everything is just too free, so there's never creativity involved in making a faction, the best things are simply the best always.
But is it that worse than custom factions in Master of Orion 2?
I found the dragon ruler early game pretty cool, and different enough from the other archetypes, but what I disliked was to have to ferry units by groups of 3 stacks of 6 for the end game...
That made battles really tedious in the second half of the game, when stacks were already much lower to begin with (because victory was already almost secured).

Total War suffers from this issue too, but it felt much worse in AoW4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom