Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Aledorn (formerly Dungeons of Aledorn) - Realms of Arkania-like RPG

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I can overlook shovelware visuals, if at least the art direction is coherent and the game doesn't look like it's patched together from various asset store models with different art styles and artist skill levels. In this regard, DoA seems to do alright.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I am actually rather excited to play more of its combat. The combat feedback is good and pacing is nice (no HP bloat, good damage ranges, fast animations, alright camera). I wonder, though, if there will eventually be environmental interactions, like in D:OS, or if it will be too much of an undertaking for Team 21.

EDIT: So playing it a bit more now through the Battle Test. Damage will reduce your stamina first, then HP. Stamina is recoverable by spending all your AP to rest. However, I'm not sure how much Stamina is actually being recovered, since you only restore a small fraction.

Also I take back what I said about Attacks of Opportunity. After further playtesting, I don't think those are in; instead I must have been Ambushed (a Planned move, like Blocking and Dodging) by an enemy when playing yesterday night.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I like what I saw of the combat so far in the Alpha video. This could turn out pretty cool. Happy I backed this. <3

udm

Arcane
Patron
First battle with the bandits is tough. TPKed on all attempts so far, but it's always along the lines of losing by a near margin i.e. just one more bandit to take out. What I like is, changing and adapting your strategy really makes a significant difference (as tactical games should be), and you don't feel cheated by the RNG (or that you can cheese the RNG).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
First battle with the bandits is tough. TPKed on all attempts so far, but it's always along the lines of losing by a near margin i.e. just one more bandit to take out. What I like is, changing and adapting your strategy really makes a significant difference (as tactical games should be), and you don't feel cheated by the RNG (or that you can cheese the RNG).

That sounds great.

Ok so here are some brief impressions from playing one single combat before I turn in for the night. I'll start with the most superficial (aesthetic) observations first, then move on to gameplay:

+ Music is generic but not bad even though game is still in alpha. Sound effects also provide good feedback for hits/dodges.
+ Icons are nice. Team 21 has got some bretty gud artists.
+ Although the PCs are pregens, they do have a nice selection of skills to complement and synergise with one another across the board. If Team 21 can offer more skills to choose from in the final version, I can imagine there would be a good number of permutations for party compositions
+ In addition to class-specific skills, you can also choose to end your turn with defensive moves like Block and Counterattack.
+ Attack of Opportunity is in.
+ You can flank and backstab. Because of AoO, I find this creates a nice risk-benefit balance.
+ Spells have different effects. This makes positioning all the more important. Lightning, for instance, can strike one other random person within a certain range; then there are some spells that require you to fire from beyond Range 1.

- Graphics are on potatoland shovelware level, but you guys probably knew that already

Honestly, I had my doubts about this project. I still do. The graphics and poor translation reek of European shovelware. Maybe someday my $90 will be used to buy a house or hookers'n'blow. HOWEVER - and I do stress this was a major push for my putting in of $90 - while the developers seemingly gave the impression back then that they knew what they were talking about with regard to RPG rulesets, this alpha demonstrates that they're on the right track. I am feeling a lot more optimistic about the final product after playing the alpha. Closely keeping an eye on future developments.

Is there any way to reposition objects in first person before combat, I.e. to create your own cover?

udm

Arcane
Patron
No idea. I doubt it since one of the planned features is to be able to manipulate objects in combat, but no mention of it was made for out of combat scenes.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
from the backers forum
in higher difficulties you are given only limited number of in-game days to finish certain story-related objectives and therefore you are forced not to waste your resources thoughtlessly

:greatjob:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
in higher difficulties you are given only limited number of in-game days to finish certain story-related objectives and therefore you are forced not to waste your resources thoughtlessly
Thank the gods this is optional. I hate to be rushed.
Well... There is nothing more detrimental to fun than being rushed constantly when you want to explore.
But only for certain story-related objectives, and communicated clearly, and with an autosave before, I don't see why that would be so bad.

Morkar Left

Even if they fail they had at least the right intentions. One of the most anticipated rpgs for me!

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The one really bad thing so far about the game is the writing. God is it awful. I'm pleased with most everything else.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Greeting to all the RPG and Dungeons of Aledorn fans. Some time has already passed since our last news. Although we had been working even during the summer it did not go as fast as we wanted. However, now we are able to bring some news regarding both the project and our team.

Unfortunately our main translator Honza Říha has left our team due to personal reasons and we were forced to look for a new one. His work was completely overtaken by Radovan Mikš, the brother of our lead programmer. Radovan should orignally join our team later when the work on AI begins, but now we can also use his experience in translations.

We have also read carefully your opinions and feedbacks after the alpha version and our biggest problem according to you was the poor quality of dialogues. In this matter, we reinforced our team with Johan Justoň who already did a good work on video games before such as Inquisitor. We hope that his help will push Dungeons of Aledorn to higher levels.

The level design has already made a significant progress and we can show you a few screenshots from a brand new village of Condra, the infamous hideout of the pirates in the middle of swamps.

Weasel
Greeting to all the RPG and Dungeons of Aledorn fans. Some time has already passed since our last news. Although we had been working even during the summer it did not go as fast as we wanted. However, now we are able to bring some news regarding both the project and our team.

Unfortunately our main translator Honza Říha has left our team due to personal reasons and we were forced to look for a new one. His work was completely overtaken by Radovan Mikš, the brother of our lead programmer. Radovan should orignally join our team later when the work on AI begins, but now we can also use his experience in translations.

We have also read carefully your opinions and feedbacks after the alpha version and our biggest problem according to you was the poor quality of dialogues. In this matter, we reinforced our team with Johan Justoň who already did a good work on video games before such as Inquisitor. We hope that his help will push Dungeons of Aledorn to higher levels.

The level design has already made a significant progress and we can show you a few screenshots from a brand new village of Condra, the infamous hideout of the pirates in the middle of swamps.

Looks like they're still short a translator or two

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
:love: might very well be GOTY 18 if they live up.

Is that been stated to be the release year? Everything is so long away. I really, really hate knowing about games this far out of when I can actually play the finished product. Patience is so stupid.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:love: might very well be GOTY 18 if they live up.

Is that been stated to be the release year? Everything is so long away. I really, really hate knowing about games this far out of when I can actually play the finished product. Patience is so stupid.
Don't recall if that was the announced date, but kickstarters, man.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Have they released any information on claiming rewards yet? I can see on my Kickstarter page this is last backed project I need a key for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom