Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

racofer

Thread Incliner
[quote="The Wizard"the reasons why oblivion is worse than ac should be obvious[/quote]

Tell us where AP is superior then, oh enlightened one.

The Wizard

Educated
racofer said:
ap at least gives you more dialogue option than [yes] and [no].

there, ap is superior. it seems you people forgot how horrible oblivion actually is.

here, let me make a horribly offensive comparison: oblivion is the dresden bombing, ap is 9/11.

racofer

Thread Incliner
The Wizard said:

In some quests that was the case with Oblivion, but at least it didn't turn the whole dialog system into a reflex minigame.

Pick any feature you want and place it side by side with Oblivion, and you will see that Obsiturd managed to fuck it up more than Bethesda. There's no contest.

visions

Arcane
The Wizard said:
oblivion is the dresden bombing, ap is 9/11.

Dresden bombing vs 9/11, which is better and why?

Discuss!!!

*Someone had to do it

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Wizard said:
racofer said:

there, ap is superior. it seems you people forgot how horrible oblivion actually is.

What about those cutscenes still having bad writing and taking up to 10 minutes instead of a game?
What about minigames?
What about green lights from cameras?
What about quest compass in linear corridors?
What about arrows pointing at enemies - and even more - showing where enemies look?
What about AI not reacting to you killing his bros?
What about dumbed down "stealth" - whereas in Oblivion you still had to stay undetected - here some magic just makes you invisible while you -run- and make other noises (like killing enemies)

It's just a small list of features at which AP horribly fails when compared to Oblivion

Or the ability to LARP the suave or professional agent make these unimportant?

Or are you trying to get KKKs by bitching at Oblivion?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
What about dumbed down "stealth" - whereas in Oblivion you still had to stay undetected - here some magic just makes you invisible while you -run- and make other noises (like killing enemies)

Skyway, seriously, shut the fuck up. You are only embarrassing yourself.

roll-a-die

Magister
MetalCraze said:
The Wizard said:
racofer said:

What about those cutscenes still having bad writing and taking up to 10 minutes instead of a game?
THESE ARE THE CLOSING DAYS OF THE THIRD ERA, AND THE FINAL HOURS OF MY LIFE.

What about minigames?
Both have them.

What about the sneak eye and the red names on things.
Both have them.
What about arrows pointing at enemies - and even more - showing where enemies look?
Oblivion has arrows towards enemies, or maybe that was Fallout 3, I get them confused sometimes.
"WHAT WAS THAT!" "COME OUT YOU FETCHER" "Oh I guess it was nothing" *walk past corpse*
Two words, "Chameleon Equipment." Two more, "Invisibility spell" And another three "Charm, Enrage and Demoralize"
It's just a small list of features at which AP horribly fails when compared to Oblivion
Seems about the same to me, but with better writing and dialogue.

Or DOES the ability to LARP the suave or professional agent make these unimportant?
Not really, but I can accept flaws if the writing and story are decent.
Or are you trying to get KKKs by bitching at Oblivion?
Or are you trying to get KKKs by bitching at new shit.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It is interesting how every rpg released lately gets the tag of 'worse than Oblivion'.

racofer

Thread Incliner
roll-a-die said:
I accept the possibility that it could be shit, but I hold hope that it will at least be decent.

The time for hope is long gone dude. The game is already out and it will not get better without a complete overhaul of its core mechanics. And this ain't happening.

Darth Roxor said:
It is interesting how every rpg released lately gets the tag of 'worse than Oblivion'.

Just like we predicted soon after the release of Oblivion, when we said that years from then, unfortunately, the way games were heading Oblivion would be remembered as a game that, in comparison to what is available today, does everything better than the current new-shit.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:

Soon Oblivion will be our example how 'true' cRPGs should be made.

Oblivion? Pfeh. In some other thread, someone said the stealth in FO3 is better. I expected it would take a couple more years until the codex started praising those.

Also, new sig material for me :) (and skyway apparently forgets that VtmB also has an actual invisibility spell)

roll-a-die

Magister
Clockwork Knight said:
Oblivion? Pfeh. In some other thread, someone said the stealth in FO3 is better. I expected it would take a couple more years until the codex started praising those.

Also, new sig material for me :) (and skyway apparently forgets that VtmB also has an actual invisibility spell)

That can work when you run.

MetalCraze

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
What about minigames?
Both have them.
As far as I remember you can't even lockpick in Oblivion if you don't have lockpicks.

So you can't answer and answer a question with a question? Fine what about all those retard helpers pointing at things like the arrows "omg you can jump down here"?
Both have them.
Except Oblivion has a large open map. Where you can get lost without the quest compass (although due to NPCs not telling you a thing about where to go). You can't get lost in AP (but I imagine it's possible for absolute morons - what other reasons are there to put quest-compass in?)
Oblivion has arrows towards enemies, or maybe that was Fallout 3, I get them confused sometimes.
Oblivion doesn't have them.

"WHAT WAS THAT!" "COME OUT YOU FETCHER" "Oh I guess it was nothing" *walk past corpse*
Ah sorry but no. If you kill someone in Oblivion and someone hears it the guards won't leave you alone.

Two words, "Chameleon Equipment." Two more, "Invisibility spell" And another three "Charm, Enrage and Demoralize"
So I guess you play as a mage in Alpha Protocol?

Decent? Not great? Not even good but decent writing excuses everything? Damn the Codex is even more shit now than I thought.

Actually bitching at new shit seems to be very unpopular here. So where will I get my KKKs? From those 3.5 codexers that are real patriots and aren't some "just give me a decent writing, oh gawd who cares that the game sucks - look it has a decent text!"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MetalCraze said:
those 3.5 codexers that are real patriots and aren't some "just give me a decent writing, oh gawd who cares that the game sucks - look it has a decent text!"

Let's think about this for one moment shall we...

roll-a-die

Magister
MetalCraze said:
roll-a-die said:
What about minigames?
Both have them.
As far as I remember you can't even lockpick in Oblivion if you don't have lockpicks.
Indeed but you still have to do the minigame to lockpick. And what of Fallout three's, I can force a lock open just by pushing? Also, as far as I know lockpicking is a spy thing, thus a spy would carry lockpicks.
So you can't answer and answer a question with a question? Fine what about all those retard helpers pointing at things like the arrows "omg you can jump down here"?
In certain cases these are necessary in games where you can't go everywhere. Not every game is a sand box, when you have context sensitive actions, it's best to alert the play to their presence.
Both have them.
Except Oblivion has a large open map. Where you can get lost without the quest compass (although due to NPCs not telling you a thing about where to go). You can't get lost in AP (but I imagine it's possible for absolute morons - what other reasons are there to put quest-compass in?)
In oblivion you have a quest compass inside buildings and dungeons as well.
Oblivion doesn't have them.
Fallout 3 and Oblivion are pretty much the same thing. As you have stated MANY, MANY TIMES.
Ah sorry but no. If you kill someone in Oblivion and someone hears it the guards won't leave you alone.
Actually, it's possible with 100 sneak and 70 chameleon to just murder someone in broad daylight in the middle of a town without detection. And we are talking about dungeons anyway.
Quit changing the subject in Oblivion everyone is a mage, therefore magic is normal, not only that you were positing that you couldn't sneak and run in Oblivion and thus I was pointing out the obvious flaws in that statement. It had nothing to do with Alpha Protocol
Decent? Not great? Not even good but decent writing excuses everything? Damn the Codex is even more shit now than I thought.
Damn you don't realize how rare decent writing in games is, considering we only have ONE game universally regarded as "good" writing(PST)
Actually bitching at new shit seems to be very unpopular here. So where will I get my KKKs? From those 3.5 codexers that are real patriots and aren't some "just give me a decent writing, oh gawd who cares that the game sucks - look it has a decent text!"
[/quote] Wow. Just, wow.

Mortmal

Arcane
i love codex , now people discuss about how deep oblivion and fallout 3 were !

MetalCraze

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Indeed but you still have to do the minigame to lockpick.
You can bypass it via stat rolls - which are pretty random though and you lose lockpicks when you fail them.

as far as I know lockpicking is a spy thing, thus a spy would carry lockpicks.
That never end?

In certain cases these are necessary in games where you can't go everywhere. Not every game is a sand box, when you have context sensitive actions, it's best to alert the play to their presence.
Because the player is too dumb to see for himself, right?

But wide open areas too. Which AP doesn't have.
And dungeons aren't always a linear corridor from point A to point B. Not that it excuses quest-compass.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are pretty much the same thing. As you have stated MANY, MANY TIMES.
Yes they are pretty much the same thing. But Oblivion didn't have wall-hacking arrows.

Actually, it's possible with 100 sneak and 70 chameleon to just murder someone in broad daylight in the middle of a town without detection. And we are talking about dungeons anyway.
But it isn't possible with 10-20 sneak and 0 chameleon.

Quit changing the subject in Oblivion everyone is a mage, therefore magic is normal, not only that you were positing that you couldn't sneak and run in Oblivion and thus I was pointing out the obvious flaws in that statement. It had nothing to do with Alpha Protocol
In Oblivion not everyone is a mage. And yes magic makes perfect sense.
For a guy who will forgive any flaws for a decent writing/plot you sure seem to be forgiving for direct inconsistencies in them as well. How do you explain invisibility in AP other than dumbing down?
But nice job comparing apples to oranges anyway.

Damn you don't realize how rare decent writing in games is, considering we only have ONE game universally regarded as "good" writing(PST)
There are lots of them. Lot more than PS:T. Ever heard about adventures?
In fact they have almost nothing but writing in them. But see here's the problem - you suddenly realize you want something else but reading now is it?

And books have lots of good writing. Even tv series and movies do.
But do you play the game or read a book?
Good writing should be a bonus in games - not 20% of the time it being a 'decent' writing that excuses the rest 80% of the game that is a craptastic action.

Wow. Just, wow.
I'm just correct. My opinions are widely unpopular here because I want to play good and varied games. Complex games. With new things in gameplay. And many of the sheeple here who can't realize that console shooters aren't the only genre in the universe that people want to play - do not.

And then they post ignorant posts which only prove the point. There are lots of games with good writing. You just can't shoot shit in them.

roll-a-die

Magister
MetalCraze said:
roll-a-die said:
Indeed but you still have to do the minigame to lockpick.
You can bypass it via stat rolls - which are pretty random though and you lose lockpicks when you fail them.

as far as I know lockpicking is a spy thing, thus a spy would carry lockpicks.
That never end?
Modern Lockpicks are rather hard to break.

Because the player is too dumb to see for himself, right?
Without an indicator, how would he know he could jump down, random pressing of a button as he walks towards an edge until it happens.

But wide open areas too. Which AP doesn't have.
And dungeons aren't always a linear corridor from point A to point B. Not that it excuses quest-compass.
[/quote]
The wide majority are, and from what I've seen this rings true for alpha protocol too.
Yes they are pretty much the same thing. But Oblivion didn't have wall-hacking arrows.
QUEST COMPASS. Detect LIFE.
But it isn't possible with 10-20 sneak and 0 chameleon.
No, it is, it's just relatively hard to do. Lets talk about a good game where you can do the same thing, on the first level of thief, you have an area with two balconies overlooking the first floor, on expert, there are 2 guards to a balcony, one pacing a roughly 20 foot path the other standing guard. To get knock out these two guards you must first knock the patrolling one out, not 10 feet away from the archer, and you can accomplish this without blowing your cover and alerting them. You can literally ram a blackjack into a guys head and let him fall 10 feet away from another guard without him hearing.
In Oblivion not everyone is a mage. And yes magic makes perfect sense.
For a guy who will forgive any flaws for a decent writing/plot you sure seem to be forgiving for direct inconsistencies in them as well. How do you explain invisibility in AP other than dumbing down?
But nice job comparing apples to oranges anyway.
EVERYONE in TES can learn a spell or two. Thus EVERYONE is a mage. Invisibility can be explained in any number of ways, from gaining access to a gadget, to learning a martial art form that emphasizes positioning the body so as to not get noticed.
There are lots of them. Lot more than PS:T. Ever heard about adventures?
In fact they have almost nothing but writing in them. But see here's the problem - you suddenly realize you want something else but reading now is it?

And books have lots of good writing. Even tv series and movies do.
But do you play the game or read a book?
Good writing should be a bonus in games - not 20% of the time it being a 'decent' writing that excuses the rest 80% of the game that is a craptastic action.
I should have said RPG. And even in those genres that are known for good story, there are only a few where the plot makes any kind of sense. Mainly by lucas arts. Good story should be indicative of an RPG, for without comradery or a good story, all your doing is clicking buttons on a device to make things happen. Which is a rather childish hobby to have.
Wow. Just, wow.
I'm just correct. My opinions are widely unpopular here because I want to play good and varied games. Complex games. With new things in gameplay. And many of the sheeple here who can't realize that console shooters aren't the only genre in the universe that people want to play - do not.

And then they post ignorant posts which only prove the point. There are lots of games with good writing. You just can't shoot shit in them.
[/q I want to play good games too, I just accept that there is a middle ground between shit and excellent. Unfortunately, your brain has not evolved beyond binary assessments has it?

MetalCraze

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Judging by AP it's just a matter of doing very simple movements.

Without an indicator, how would he know he could jump down, random pressing of a button as he walks towards an edge until it happens.
You try doing that in a place that looks like a good one to jump down? My god, you actually say you need indicators to understand something as simple?
And why can't I jump down anywhere I want from the same height?

The wide majority are, and from what I've seen this rings true for alpha protocol too.
Again Oblivion has a wide open area where you can get lost. AP doesn't. In AP this feature thus is even more dumber though not by much.
Not that it doesn't deserve all the bashing it gets for having a quest-compass. AP I mean.

Detect LIFE.
You mean a spell? That works at a very limited radius? And isn't a wallhack out of the blue that also shows you directions where enemies look?
Try harder. Like really harder.

No, it is, it's just relatively hard to do.
But in AP it's always easy to do.

Lets talk about a good game where you can do the same thing, on the first level of thief, you have an area with two balconies overlooking the first floor, on expert, there are 21 guards to a balcony, one pacing a roughly 20 foot path the other standing guard. To get knock out these two guards you must first knock the patrolling one out, not 10 feet away from the archer, and you can accomplish this without blowing your cover and alerting them. You can literally ram a blackjack into a guys head and let him fall 10 feet away from another guard without him hearing.
On a silent surface under the cover of darkness - yes. And on the first levels there are lots of that - carpets and shadows. But first you need to sneak up on him. There is no crouch-run button that makes guards magically deaf and they can perfectly hear you running at them and react just in time even if you run at them from 3m distance. I said running? Even sneaking is well heard at anything but carpet (like marble in case of first mission) by guards that are 10m(!) away.
So no, even though AI may act dumb at times in Thief it still rapes AP's primitive excuse for "stealth" in every hole. Where in a perfectly lit room, on a marble floor guards don't hear you.
BTW you can just avoid combat totally, by sneaking past the guards through silent surfaces and shadows. Something AP doesn't have at all.
But nice job checking out YouTube videos of Thief, maybe actually playing it will bring some incline to you. It has no indicators of where you can jump though - you need to think on it yourself.

Invisibility can be explained in any number of ways, from gaining access to a gadget
Yeah right. In that case quest-compass in Oblivion can be explained as spirits from parallel dimension guiding the hero to his target. Didn't you just go about how you like decent writing and plot just 10 minutes ago?

to learning a martial art form that emphasizes positioning the body so as to not get noticed.
In direct view? Jeez he must be positioning it in such way that light rays get reflected according to Fen-Shui or some shit making him invisible
:lol:
I should have said RPG.
Why? I thought decent writing and plot are enough for anything? And suddenly you want RPG. Besides AP isn't one.

And even in those genres that are known for good story, there are only a few where the plot makes any kind of sense. Mainly by lucas arts.
Please try going through wiki harder. Or I guess Legend Entertainment, Westwood and Access software don't count?

Good story should be indicative of an RPG, for without comradery or a good story, all your doing is clicking buttons on a device to make things happen. Which is a rather childish hobby to have.
Clicking buttons on the device is what you do 80% of time in AP. See we are finally coming to that conclusion!
Damn man I guess even Fallout is a game for kids because there is next to none writing at all. Games shouldn't be played, they should be 'read'.

I want to play good games too, I just accept that there is a middle ground between shit and excellent.
Really? Your post about how you don't care about everything being flawed in the game as long as it isn't writing and story - for which decent is being enough prove otherwise. Even though at the same time you want games to have retard helpers because thinking on your own is too hard and also don't even aware of games you should be knowing very well logically, instead defending a shooter where writing and plot take the least amount of time.
Don't be a hypocrite, please.

Unfortunately, your brain has not evolved beyond binary assessments has it?
See, you are just as ignorant as they are. If it was otherwise you'd knew that my scale has way more gray than that of most of posters in GRPGD which are only able to post about the current clone of kill.switch (and quite ironically hate real RPGs)
It's just that these copy-pasted console shooters that are clones of each other, never adding anything new to game genres, and only become worse with time are very low on it.

roll-a-die

Magister
MetalCraze said:
roll-a-die said:
Judging by AP it's just a matter of doing very simple movements.
And you can store about 500 in a relatively small space.

You try doing that in a place that looks like a good one to jump down? My god, you actually say you need indicators to understand something as simple?
And why can't I jump down anywhere I want from the same height?
Because, well it's not a platformer or an open world game, making a jump animation that looks good/decent in all situations without breaking the forth wall is rather difficult. The majority of jump's I've seen are scripted events to get onto certain platforms. Allowing the player to jump anywhere opens up a new can of worms, like, how do I keep a player within the bounds of the level I've set up? How do I keep him from seeing the flaws that become obvious from certain angles.
Again Oblivion has a wide open area where you can get lost. AP doesn't. In AP this feature thus is even more dumber though not by much.
Not that it doesn't deserve all the bashing it gets for having a quest-compass. AP I mean.
We've established that not all games are open world RPG's. Get over it.
Detect LIFE.
You mean a spell? That works at a very limited radius? And isn't a wallhack out of the blue that also shows you directions where enemies look?
Try harder. Like really harder.
That you can make work in a massive radius by cheating the spell system. That you can see enemies over massive distance through walls and what ever else might be in the way. Stop being so dumb.
No, it is, it's just relatively hard to do.
But in AP it's always easy to do.
In oblivion once you know how it becomes easy.
Lets talk about a good game where you can do the same thing, on the first level of thief, you have an area with two balconies overlooking the first floor, on expert, there are 21 guards to a balcony, one pacing a roughly 20 foot path the other standing guard. To get knock out these two guards you must first knock the patrolling one out, not 10 feet away from the archer, and you can accomplish this without blowing your cover and alerting them. You can literally ram a blackjack into a guys head and let him fall 10 feet away from another guard without him hearing.
On a silent surface under the cover of darkness - yes. And on the first levels there are lots of that - carpets and shadows. But first you need to sneak up on him. There is no crouch-run button that makes guards magically deaf and they can perfectly hear you running at them and react just in time even if you run at them from 3m distance. I said running? Even sneaking is well heard at anything but carpet (like marble in case of first mission) by guards that are 10m(!) away.
So no, even though AI may act dumb at times in Thief it still rapes AP's primitive excuse for "stealth" in every hole. Where in a perfectly lit room, on a marble floor guards don't hear you.
BTW you can just avoid combat totally, by sneaking past the guards through silent surfaces and shadows. Something AP doesn't have at all.
But nice job checking out YouTube videos of Thief, maybe actually playing it will bring some incline to you. It has no indicators of where you can jump though - you need to think on it yourself.
35i0vg7.jpg

Invisibility can be explained in any number of ways, from gaining access to a gadget
Yeah right. In that case quest-compass in Oblivion can be explained as spirits from parallel dimension guiding the hero to his target. Didn't you just go about how you like decent writing and plot just 10 minutes ago?

IT'S A BLOODY GAME BASED OFF OF SPY MOVIES, that is standard stuff for the genre.
to learning a martial art form that emphasizes positioning the body so as to not get noticed.
In direct view? Jeez he must be positioning it in such way that light rays get reflected according to Fen-Shui or some shit making him invisible
:lol:
Quite, it's been done in a couple movies. Was ridiculous there too, once again it's par for the genre in ridiculousness.
I should have said RPG.
Why? I thought decent writing and plot are enough for anything? And suddenly you want RPG. Besides AP isn't one.

And even in those genres that are known for good story, there are only a few where the plot makes any kind of sense. Mainly by lucas arts.
Please try going through wiki harder. Or I guess Legend Entertainment, Westwood and Access software don't count?
I didn't play many adventure games, as in their height I was kinda involved in that thing called college. And had time to play maybe one video game every 3 months.

Good story should be indicative of an RPG, for without comradery or a good story, all your doing is clicking buttons on a device to make things happen. Which is a rather childish hobby to have.
Clicking buttons on the device is what you do 80% of time in AP. See we are finally coming to that conclusion!
Damn man I guess even Fallout is a game for kids because there is next to none writing at all. Games shouldn't be played, they should be 'read'.
Dialogue and story seem to take more time than the action.
I want to play good games too, I just accept that there is a middle ground between shit and excellent.
Really? Your post about how you don't care about everything being flawed in the game as long as it isn't writing and story - for which decent is being enough prove otherwise. Even though at the same time you want games to have retard helpers because thinking on your own is too hard and also don't even aware of games you should be knowing very well logically, instead defending a shooter where writing and plot take the least amount of time.
Don't be a hypocrite, please.
How is everything flawed, explain? Gameplay is a vehicle for story in any RPG that's not a wizardry clone. Fallout, VTM:B, PST and Arcanum can attest to this.
Unfortunately, your brain has not evolved beyond binary assessments has it?
See, you are just as ignorant as they are. If it was otherwise you'd knew that my scale has way more gray than that of most of posters in GRPGD which are only able to post about the current clone of kill.switch (and quite ironically hate real RPGs)
It's just that these copy-pasted console shooters that are clones of each other, never adding anything new to game genres, and only become worse with time are very low on it.
If you hate us that much why do you keep posting here, seriously if you find us that repulsive, go elsewhere. Go be on terra arcanum, NMA, or spellhold studios if you prefer "real" RPG's. Oh wait you can't argue with this much intensity there.

Seriously give me a list of RPG's you found "decent" or "middle of the road"

The Skyway scale seems to be ""OMGWTFBBQ AWESOMESAUSE" or "Banal shit boring."

Silellak

Cipher
roll-a-die said:
making a jump animation that looks good/decent in all situations without breaking the forth wall is rather difficult
As opposed to magically turning invisible while in the middle of combat? No immersion breaking there. :smugcodex:

That you can make work in a massive radius by cheating the spell system. That you can see enemies over massive distance through walls and what ever else might be in the way.
Seriously, why are you comparing a custom spell you can create in a fantasy game that has magic to arrow indicators over enemy heads that show you where they are and what direction they're facing at all times without use of any gadgets or skills? I personally don't care one way or another that AP has these indicators, I just think this particular comparison is absurd.

IT'S A BLOODY GAME BASED OFF OF SPY MOVIES, that is standard stuff for the genre.
I'd seriously love to know why spy movies you've seen. I've never seen a single spy movie where the main character magically turned invisible in the middle of combat.

Quite, it's been done in a couple movies. Was ridiculous there too, once again it's par for the genre in ridiculousness.
implied-facepalm.jpg

If you hate us that much why do you keep posting here
Finally, you say something logical. I've never really understood why skyway keeps coming back to a place he clearly has such disdain for. Maybe his life is just really, really boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom