Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
J_C said:
Grunker said:
and contrary to Mass Effect this game takes itself extremely seriously.
Both games took itself seriously. Why do you think that ME didn't and AP did?

Let me say it another way: I laugh my ass off while playing ME2. I just snooze when playing AP.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Andyman Messiah said:
See that meme? I launched that. That's right. Beloved creator of Lithuanian Hitmen and I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH! right goddamn here in this thread.
:salute:

Grunker said:
J_C said:
Grunker said:

Let me say it another way: I laugh my ass off while playing ME2. I just snooze when playing AP.
Alright, I know what you mean now.

Unwanted

Atheist

Unwanted
Shitposter
Like Alpha Protocol?

doesn't even

fucking

describe it

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grunker said:
J_C said:
Grunker said:

Brayko, Heck, Sie, and Thorton (at times) were a laugh riot. If only Avellone had been there sooner to make it Kill Billier.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's a flawed gem. I replayed it 5 times just to see how things unfold differently, they've done something right at least. And taking out Marburg was oh-so-very-satisfying.

Ermm

Erudite
Alpha Protocol sure sucks donkey kong balls.
I don't care if it has richest C&C in the world, if the basic gameplay smells like a giant pile of bear turd.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Rasputin said:
Alpha Protocol sure sucks donkey kong balls

Your mother sucks dwarf cock while I am pissing on your juvenile scorn. That's for sure. Alpha Protocol is a great game. Period. Others can suck its godzilla balls.

Ermm

Erudite
mikaelis said:
Rasputin said:
Alpha Protocol sure sucks donkey kong balls

Your mother sucks dwarf cock while I am pissing on your juvenile scorn. That's for sure. Alpha Protocol is a great game. Period. Others can suck its godzilla balls.

Yes, now you have enlightened me. Alpha Protocol is a game of the decade.

By the way, I am giving HIV infected cum on your mother's face.. PERIOD

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
RK47 said:
It's a flawed gem. I replayed it 5 times just to see how things unfold differently, they've done something right at least. And taking out Marburg was oh-so-very-satisfying.

I found it more satisfying to make him change his mind about his current line of work.

Anyway I sortof consider Alpha Protocol as a failure, but the kind I'd love to see more often. Playing it gave me that mix of happiness and sadness that I experience when I play something that has both good and bad sides in large amounts. It definitely did not deserve all the bad press it got, for I played far worse games that enjoyed a warmer reception.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Tried to replay Alpha Protocol today, but lost interest p. fast once I realised I had to play all those craptastic mini games again. Fucking stop with them. Regular skill checks should be enough.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The mini-games are annoying but thankfully dealt with fast, unlike the horrible pipe hacking of Bioschock. They'll also be much harder in later levels, requiring either a higher sabotage skill level or a good amount of EMP grenades, which isn't a bad thing. At the end of the day I would have taken a skill-check but AP's mini-games aren't horrible, and for better or worse it's consistent with the ARPG design.

Checkpoints can be annoying, and the poor design of some areas compound that — like when after you pass through a door, it closes and saves your game, preventing you from exploring the other rooms you left behind — but it's also nice to force you to live with some choices without really knowing how they will unfold, because going back in time would mean to replay the whole level. Could have used some ironing but it's good enough to stay.

Now the dialog being a mini-game is just bullshit. It's also one of the few things in the game that is done well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
racofer said:
I sure will. At least Bioware does not rely on the leftovers from other studios to make their games.
No, they rely on everyone's leftovers, hence the generica :smug:

(if you're allowed to necro a thread that's been dead for 6 months, then I'm allowed to reply to something you posted 6 months ago)

Andyman Messiah said:
My chinamen. :love:
Don't forget me!
Azalin said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Hello, I'm just passing by, but I want to say that I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The boss battles and mandatory shooter levels were the worst stuff in the game. As a stealth game AP was enjoyable even if it was no Splinter Cell and definitely no Thief. As an RPG it pretty much sucked, but giving the player some choice made it quite refreshing as a stealth/action game. I just wish they would've gone all the way with the stealth mechanics instead of giving you invisibility spells and absurd boss fights that felt really out of place. AP also did the BioWare formula right by making the various areas not exist in a vacuum, even if the story was mostly as generic as it gets.

I thought the dialogue system was a missed opportunity, though. It would have ruled had you had the chance to go all James Bond, put on your suit and enter a party full influential people to extract information from them via small-talk and manipulation (and perhaps blow your cover and end up in trouble if you suck), but no, there's nothing like that in the game. I'm a sucker for agent stuff, but only NOLF got this aspect somewhat right.

AP did some things right and a lot of things wrong, but even a mediocre game can be enjoyable with a few refreshing ideas here and there, and that's where Alpha Protocol succeeded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom