Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Codex Year of the Donut
build your character like a spy so when you get forced into the mandatory combat segments you can't even aim your pistol because your character has parkinsons

Dodo1610

Arcane
So what are everyone's most rewarding play-styles in AP? Rambo? Macgyver? Garrett? Mix?

Do not try to do full non-lethal stealth run due to the broken AI and bad stealth mechanics. Unless you enjoy constant reloading and doing the same thing over and over again since there is no quicksave function.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
So what are everyone's most rewarding play-styles in AP? Rambo? Macgyver? Garrett? Mix?

Do not try to do full non-lethal stealth run due to the broken AI and bad stealth mechanics. Unless you enjoy constant reloading and doing the same thing over and over again since there is no quicksave function.
Do you mean not attacking anyone? Because even in a non-lethal stealth run you can still use a silenced pistol with the tran rounds. Expensive and a bit annoying, owing to the game not allowing you buy a full load of the damn things, but very doable.

Harthwain

Magister
Sloppy stealth where something goes wrong and it turns into a cacophonous bloodbath.
I went with part stealth (pistol silencer + hand-to-hand combat) mixed with gadgets, exactly for the reasons Zombra has mentioned. Worked well enough and I had fun with it, even when I failed at stealth.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Sloppy stealth where something goes wrong and it turns into a cacophonous bloodbath.

build your character like a spy so when you get forced into the mandatory combat segments you can't even aim your pistol because your character has parkinsons

So true! Usually, I try a non-lethal, full stealth route and try to limit invis - end up save scumming to my own horror, or get so pissed at myself for getting spotted I kill everything in sight (conveniently followed by a lowly save scum). Not one of my best moments. Martial Arts and Toughness I beef up just for the boss fights. Load up on the Sabotage skill too

Sannom

Augur
I tried a ghost playthrough, but I think it's only viable if you rush through the levels and that's no fun.

Stealth and Pistols for most situations and the Tech skill (the one for grenades) for those times when I have to throw down. I always went for tranquilizer ammo for a non-lethal playthrough and my pistols were exclusively from the knock-off russian brand that maximizes damage (I don't need precision because I only shoot critical hits and tranquilizer rounds have a malus there I believe). I always took out Omen Deng by baiting him into charging me... right through five or six mines. Traps like that were also my best friend against Marburg.

I have an unfinished playthrough in which I tried to go with Toughness and SMG because they have the most unique "critical hit" mechanic out of the non-pistol weapons.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
What is the fucking point of remaking good looking game from 2010? make sequel or spiritual succesor for fuck sake...
This hobby is filled with people who are all too eager to consoom the most inane and pointless shit.

What is the fucking point of remaking good looking game from 2010? make sequel or spiritual succesor for fuck sake...

It's a very flawed game. It's interesting, interesting enough to make it worth playing, but it is extremely flawed.

A remake wouldn't be bad, but the remake would need to be so changed that you may as well also just do a sequel or a new thing. Only reason to really remake would be to use the same story foundation.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

It's a very flawed game. It's interesting, interesting enough to make it worth playing, but it is extremely flawed.

A remake wouldn't be bad, but the remake would need to be so changed that you may as well also just do a sequel or a new thing. Only reason to really remake would be to use the same story foundation.

IMO, the story is the best part, and there's very little chance of someone making a new story that is anywhere near as good in present-day culture. I think that's why people want a remake. Keep the story and storytelling mechanics, fix the jank.

It's not going to happen, precisely because of present-day culture, but it would be cool.

Duraframe300

Arcane

IMO, the story is the best part, and there's very little chance of someone making a new story that is anywhere near as good in present-day culture. I think that's why people want a remake. Keep the story and storytelling mechanics, fix the jank.

It's not going to happen, precisely because of present-day culture, but it would be cool.
Honestly I'd also fear that a remake would also not bother to recreate every variation you can get and instead turn to simplifying the narrative structure.

Which is highly likely to happen and would annoy me to no end.
Even more so if the game is actually entertaining to the masses, because that means any such complaint will be drowned out.

wishbonetail

Learned
I had failed in keeping myself interested in this story. So, can someone tell me, does it revolve around middle Eastern terrorists farther on or will it be something at least remotely engaging.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I had failed in keeping myself interested in this story. So, can someone tell me, does it revolve around middle Eastern terrorists farther on or will it be something at least remotely engaging.
It stops being about that after you leave Saudi Arabia.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's an oversimplification, but basically the intro is Call of Duty, China is 24, Rome is The Bourne Identity and Russia is James Bond.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Guys, Sega can't even be bothered to keep the game on Steam. The entire IP is abandonware, there's not going to be a remake.

Do you think that will stop us?

C71FB311EA656EF21C5EB092A139BA6DB62630A0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom