Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's pathetic that a quality game like this should essentially become abandonware for one awful song included as an ironic joke.
The song is great and a fantastic moment. The problem is with Feargus for cheaping out and only spending money for a 10 year license.

Sannom

Augur
Really ? I would have thought that was Sega's call as the publisher and IP holder...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Really ? I would have thought that was Sega's call as the publisher and IP holder...
Obsidian gets paid by the milestone, it's up to them to determine how to spend that money (and they wasted a lot on in-house mocap equipment). Avellone said Urquhart loves his cost padding but apparently that doesn't include setting aside money for a permanent license for a single song.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Not sure if serious. It was a one hit wonder from a shitty Def Leppard wannabee hair band that got airplay solely because it had the word 'radio' in it. Enough mediocre bands used that tactic for Monty Python to make a skit out of it. If it's played at all today it's in this game or at GenX high school reunions for fat ex-spandex wearers to drunk dance to. Glam was fucking cancer.
Yes, the moment was perfect, precisely because it was a bad song, along with all the over stylized 80's crap like the pastels, Nagel paintings and Miami Vice outfit on the coked out boss, and you had best paid up to taint his stash. I think I still spared his sorry ass.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I thought it was just a bad game?

The first level is inexplicably bad, and doesn't fit with the rest of the game at all. That level plays as a boring Tom Clancy knock-off.

Then, things start to happen and the game takes shape. I think most people must have given up on the first level and never looked back. A mistake, but an understandable one.

It's a pretty good game.

Codex Year of the Donut
the fact that they haven't bothered to remove the licensed music and relist it means they probably either lost the source or it's buried away somewhere and feargus is too lazy to locate it
remaster seems unlikely

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the fact that they haven't bothered to remove the licensed music and relist it means they probably either lost the source or it's buried away somewhere and feargus is too lazy to locate it
remaster seems unlikely
Or simply not worth the effort since it never made money. Also they'd have to replace the song with something appropriate.

Codex Year of the Donut
remaster seems unlikely
Or simply not worth the effort since it never made money. Also they'd have to replace the song with something appropriate.
It's a highly requested item.

Either they lost the source or Sega isn't cooperating.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Either they lost the source or Sega isn't cooperating.
Of course Obsidian would be happy to spend more of someone else's money or get paid to to patch it and make a new 80s-sounding instrumental song. Sega can't be bothered though.

Irata

Scholar
I tried to pirate this game

The Steam release is DRM-free. There are two executables and the game exe (not the launcher) runs just fine without any client. So I'm surprised that there are issues with the pirated versions. I haven't kept up with the "scene" for almost twenty years though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The Steam release is DRM-free. There are two executables and the game exe (not the launcher) runs just fine without any client. So I'm surprised that there are issues with the pirated versions. I haven't kept up with the "scene" for almost twenty years though.
Yeah, the one patch they released for it also removed the DRM from the disc version (both install limit and disc check).

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Yeah, the one patch they released for it also removed the DRM from the disc version (both install limit and disc check).

Precisely, it would be next level incompetent if some 1337 haxx00rz are sharing a broken version of the game that can literally be copy/pasted to install.

Personally, I bought it on CD almost ten years ago.

Sannom

Augur
Same I think, last I played I installed it off images of my original discs and it worked fine.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wouldn't be surprised if the issue everyone's having is related to that dll issue. IIRC, you need a specific version of PhysiX or something otherwise the game crashes when you start it.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
So what are everyone's most rewarding play-styles in AP? Rambo? Macgyver? Garrett? Mix?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom