Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amazon ships an MMORPG - New World

Its shit.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm not entirely sure Mack is being fair to the game honestly. I do like Mack's content and usually he has something interesting to say. But some of the points he raised in this video were pretty off the mark.

For example, he said:
  • There's no way to buff/debuff: wrong, there are plenty of abilities that buff/debuff
  • No way to parry the enemy: there are blocks?
  • You can't kite: there are several abilities which kite, stun, snare, etc
  • You can't interrupt: there are abilities which interrupt.
Also:
  • Tab-targeting is 'tried, tested and works': tab-targeting is boring as fuck, I can't stand it. One of the most appealing things about this game is the way it is moving away from many traditional MMO mechanics such as tab-targeting. So for him to bring it up as a negative, that's just weird.
  • Bad animations: I don't know what he is talking about. The animations are great in this game. It's one of its strengths.
  • Attacks are committed to once initiated, which is bad: I don't see this as a bad thing at all.
  • Quests are 'kill 10 turkeys': so no different from WoW then? Which he adores?
  • You have to walk everywhere: this ties into the PvP system, there's no mounts for a reason.
He makes a broad point about there being limited abilities in the game, which I agree at first is surprising and seems like a negative thing. In WoW you used have 20 abilities or more, as he points out. What I think he's missing, though, is that this game requires you to do a lot more than simply hit your abilities correctly. There's active movement, blocking, dodging, thinking about damage types (more on that in a second), use of consumables mid-combat, and so on. All of this stuff rarely happens in your traditional MMO, usually you just stand in front of mobs and use your abilities in sequence. I feel like NW is moving away from 'rotation'-style MMO gameplay towards something more action-oriented. Traditional WoW players aren't going to like that idea, and that's what Mack is, he's a hardcore WoW player.

Note I'm not saying that what NW is doing is, or is going to be, better than what WoW does (i.e. rotations). I'm simply pointing out that NW has different concepts in mind for gameplay. So dissing it because it 'only' has three-to-six active abilities seems to miss the mark. A game isn't automatically better just because it has 20+ abilities.

Here's a combat video which goes into detail on some mechanics that NW has which I think are quite interesting:

Anyway personally I'm still a little on the fence about this game, I think it could be good but there's also some things which bother me about it. I don't think it's as bad as Mack makes it out to be.

Yosharian

Arcane
Some people's cards are definitely getting fried but it's not certain whether or not it's the fault of NW or the manufacturers.

One point someone raised which rings true to me is, how the fuck are you gonna design a video card that can even BE fried by malicious code? The card should have built-in safety regulators that prevent this from ever happening. 2000 FPS menus are not smart video game design (they've patched that now) but they should not be able to brick your GPU.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Apparently insanely high frames fucks with the voltage regulator on the gpu. As it is not hitting the core or the vram with such an easy render, but still demands voltage from the other parts on the pcb. It is hitting mostly high end Ampere as they already are super power hungry and there was a lot of problems exactly with the power management around the launch last year, Nvidia even made special patch to fix the most bad scenarios of blown up capacitors.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

I am giving it a try, it's alright so far.

Gathering and Crafting is good, lovely world to run about in collecting crap to make other crap. No mounts, you can fast travel teleport from towns and soul thingies, you can make a wee camp to set a wilderness respawn point and you can free recall to the inn you are currently a guest in once an hour.

Combat is a bit difficult for me as I'm old and can't dodge it seems, but I use an Ice Gauntlet and turn myself into a pillar of Ice as protection which helps, not tried PvP yet as I'm only level 20, but getting the zerg vibe from what I have seen.

I can always refund until game goes live, but decent so far.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ice gloves I found very lackluster. Ice tomb and ice storm are the unique useful skills and ice storm is only useful for PvE. I focused far more on INT and despite it, my musket was far more useful on PvP.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Classless system.
Overly reliant on farming and crafting.
Focuses on PVP, has sissy opt-in PVP so the robot minded can happily chop down trees without a care in the world.
Boring world with a prettier shine to it in hopes of tricking graphicsfags.
Very lackluster combat, doesn't feel like it was even designed as being an MMO at first and you can tell it switched directions midway.
A majority of the gameplay is either doing fetch quests for resources or going on out on your own and gathering resources. Pointless drivel.

New World, same old shit.

Myobi

Liturgist
Star Citizen good
so is New World
Fallout 76 mediocre but still better than everything post-Morrowind

Slap that onto your signature, just so that people know the sort of shit they are dealing with when replying to your dumb fuckery :D

kek.jpg

Shit, didn't took you long to change it :smug:

Yosharian

Arcane
Ice gloves I found very lackluster. Ice tomb and ice storm are the unique useful skills and ice storm is only useful for PvE. I focused far more on INT and despite it, my musket was far more useful on PvP.
You can socket weapons with gems that allow you to use a certain percentage (60%?) of your spellcasting stat to power them instead of the usual stat (i.e. STR/DEX). At least I think that's how it works

Yosharian

Arcane
Classless system.
Overly reliant on farming and crafting.
Focuses on PVP, has sissy opt-in PVP so the robot minded can happily chop down trees without a care in the world.
Boring world with a prettier shine to it in hopes of tricking graphicsfags.
Very lackluster combat, doesn't feel like it was even designed as being an MMO at first and you can tell it switched directions midway.
A majority of the gameplay is either doing fetch quests for resources or going on out on your own and gathering resources. Pointless drivel.

New World, same old shit.
Classless system isn't necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of successful games use this kind of system.

Overly reliant on crafting/farming? It's crafting-focused MMO.

Opt-in PVP: yes this is fail, agreed there.

Boring world, I dunno if that's fair to say yet but it's not meant to be a theme park MMO. Played that shit already, they're boring as fuck.

Stokowski

Arcane
Game is trash, combat is sluggish and skills are pointless, actually is better to just spam left click as all skills lock you into animation. Focus is on PvP so you know this game will have one month life and then will die. Only thing going for it is if crafting some cool items or for people that like to decorate homes, i.e. women. There is no classes, 10 weapon types with 6 skills each, so all the gameplay is comparable to one class in any other mmo. Main game mechanic outside PvP (and that is zerg PvP) is doing grinds for materials or kill/collect x bear asses.

Infinitron , ^seems like the perfect front-page Codex Review.

I've still seen no evidence they fixed the PvP. Going from open world territory control to instanced arenas was the absolute worst thing to happen to this game. It was clear they were really banking on the PvP and guild warfare. But when they took it out they just replaced it with soulless PvE grind and relegated all PvP to it's own self contained block that has no actual baring or reactivity within the game. Pathetic. It really seems like this is a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. And that's down to management.

BTW, everything I wanted out of Ashes of Creation (PvP, Node system, castle sieges) was present and working in the recent alpha. And it all worked within the game world seemlessly. So New World looks even more like a lame duck to me.

deama

Prophet
I've still seen no evidence they fixed the PvP. Going from open world territory control to instanced arenas was the absolute worst thing to happen to this game. It was clear they were really banking on the PvP and guild warfare. But when they took it out they just replaced it with soulless PvE grind and relegated all PvP to it's own self contained block that has no actual baring or reactivity within the game. Pathetic. It really seems like this is a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. And that's down to management.
Well that's a missed opportunity, I wonder why they decided to change it? Was it just a braindead exec thought it was a good idea?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Well that's a missed opportunity, I wonder why they decided to change it? Was it just a braindead exec thought it was a good idea?
Carebears cried about the mean PKers so they decided they'd make more money if it wasn't a hardcore pvp game

Norfleet

They're probably right, the modern generation isn't really into being PK'ed, so unless you want your game to be niche, it can't be hardcore PvP unless it's a MOBA. And a game with this level of production value cannot afford to be niche.

Of course, now they've disappointed the audience they WERE attracting with that initial direction, so, perhaps they're now in a no-win scenario where they're now a generic shit MMO in a sea of other generic shit MMOs. Except in this one, you can get banned for milking a cow.

ADL

Prophet
Played the 2017 alpha version that everyone talks about and wishes they got instead, it sucked and everyone quit because they got sick of being ganked on the beach by someone twenty times their level. If you want to jerk yourself off over how hardcore you are... Go play Darkfall, Mortal Online or some other dead PvP gankbox you've probably never heard of with good reason.

Getting bullied by PKs isn't the issue, it's the fear of "losing your stuff". Games like DayZ and Rust are extremely popular. Probably because like with MOBAs and battle royales you're not expected to get attached to your gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom