Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I still have nightmares about that "cut scene" near the beginning of AW with the single-fanged black wormy thing dripping venom biting you and killing you faster than a black mamba. In fact, had a nightmare last night about it, or something very similar but with a small land-crawling single-tentacle jelly-fish like creature attaching itself to my arm with fangs, though the dream was probably the result of a news item on Microsoft Edge's home page I saw the day before entitled "Is Daddy Longlegs Venom The Deadliest of any spider species?" Fuck click-bait.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I still have nightmares about that "cut scene" near the beginning of AW with the single-fanged black wormy thing dripping venom biting you and killing you faster than a black mamba. In fact, had a nightmare last night about it, or something very similar but with a small land-crawling single-tentacle jelly-fish like creature attaching itself to my arm with fangs, though the dream was probably the result of a news item on Microsoft Edge's home page I saw the day before entitled "Is Daddy Longlegs Venom The Deadliest of any spider species?" Fuck click-bait.

Those remind me of leeches and I'm repulsed by them! Fortunately never had a close encounter with one. But I found that cut-scene also quite upsetting like yourself.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Those remind me of leeches and I'm repulsed by them! Fortunately never had a close encounter with one. But I found that cut-scene also quite upsetting like yourself.

I was fortunate enough to grow up on a pond-side home (almost lake-sized, but no). Living in/on that pond, we had tons of frogs, ducks, fish, and various invertebrates (my brother, who was a professional scientist, showed me how to see nematodes, diatoms. amebas, etc from that pond on slides under a microscope). My one and only encounter with a leech was when I found one on my leg after wading in the pond. It was a baby leech; no longer than half-an-inch, if that. It was cute, almost adorable, with a sucker-mouth so small it couldn't even latch on yet I suspected so I never had the understandable loathing most others have towards them. My sister was a nurse who had to apply medicinal leeches (and medicinal maggots) to patients.

This must have been fun for movie going audiences of the early 1950s:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Homepage of the guy who did the stellar pixel-art in Unreal and Agony on the Amiga, and Iron Lord on the C64, among other games.

He shares some interesting back-stories about the making of these games and details about his artistic process, well worth a read.

http://francksauer.com/index.php/games/test

Unreal_Title.png

Mountains.png

Capture_01.PNG

Luzur

Good Sir
Tutankham - A C64 port of Tutankham, an arcade game developed by Konami in 1982.

Even more retro games to get through now, as thanks to a late hour heads up from Saberman, we've just been told LC-Games has released the new C64 game of 'Tutankham'; A C64 port of Tutankham which was originally an Arcade game developed by Konami in 1982. To coincide with this news, not only is there a new video to view below or linked here, but this game works perfectly on both PAL and NTSC models with game speeds similar to the Arcade version if using an NTSC model.

Luzur

Good Sir
Berzerk - Classic 1980's Arcade game by Stern gets a C64 Conversion via Arlasoft!

Great news if you have an Commodore 64 as we've recently been given the heads up by Saberman through Facebook, that Arlasoft who was behind the great Arcade conversions such as Donkey Kong Jr, Fastfood, Galaga and Galaxian DX has released an unofficial port of the original arcade version of ' Berzerk ' for the Commodore 64. Why is this great news you might ask? Well Berzerk was one of the first games to dynamically generate mazes and have synthesized voices in the 1980's and it's a damn fun game to play as well!

Luzur

Good Sir
Lykia - The Lost Island - Psytronik Software announces a big hitter C64, expanded C16 and Plus/4 game and we are excited! [New Trailer Update]

I thought to myself today it's been some time since we had any Zelda style games on Indie Retro News, but thankfully I've come across a game that doesn't just look like a Zelda like game with the publishers saying "disksides full of Zelda-ish passion in FLIvision", but it looks it will be a high quality commercial release from PULS4R Production published by Psytronik Software. Welcome to Lykia - The Lost Island, a game that is not only coming to the C64, expanded C16 and Plus/4, but it looks to be a big hitter spanning 4 disk sides full of Zelda-ish game play

From what we know so far, not only is Lykia - The Lost Island going to be pretty big as mentioned above spanning 4 disk sides. But it will feature incredible graphics, day and night modes, multiple areas such as woodlands, new characters to meet, a stunning cinematic intro, hours worth of gameplay, and from the look of the latest screenshots and wording, it will also feature a great story which will take you on an epic quest. So yes certainly a game worth keeping an eye out for on Indie Retro News or via Psytronik Software.

** CREDITS **

• Main Coding: Stefan Mader
  • Lead Artist: Róbert Kisnémeth
  • Story: Olaf Nowacki
  • Music and SFX: Markus Jentsch
  • Additional Graphics: Rainer Mühr & Stefan Mader
  • Additional Code: Balázs Szabó, Imre Széll, Christian Bauer (and the Frodo staff)
  • Assistance: Lena Kilkka
  • Testing: Louie Dimovski & Jason Mackenzie
  • Box Art: Trevor Storey

Links :1) Plus 4/World 2) Facebook 3) Website

Luzur

Good Sir
Rogue64 - A new C64 roguelike from Badger Punch Games is now shipping via Bitmap Soft and it looks fab!

If you love C64 games and want to own a game that features some damn fine box art, then you'll be pleased to know as thanks to a heads up on Twitter, that Badger Punch Games latest offering of 'Rogue64' is not only available for purchasing through Bitmap Soft, but as of this week some have already received their orders and began to load up this rather lovely game on the C64. For those of you who haven't heard of this game before, it's a rather cool looking Roguelike whereby every play of the game is a unique experience, with challenging procedural generated levels!

You are Zendar the explorer, looking for treasure and fame in the dungeons of Mordecoom! Rumour has it that there is a magic item at the bottom of the dungeon, and you want it! The only problem is that there are evil cave dwellers lurking in the dark, waiting to attack as you travel deeper and deeper into this cube-like tentacle terror maze. The dungeons of Mordecoom are waiting. The game features tough monsters that become ever more dangerous as you progress, bigger challenges, wonderful rewards for those who are close to the end, glorious pixelated graphics, a lovely soundtrack by Sami Louko, and more you'll just have to experience for yourselves!

- Update - Digital Download is now available too!

Links :1) Twitter / Bitmap Soft 2) Order Via Bitmap Soft 3) Website 4) Digital Download

Luzur

Good Sir
Sonic The Hedgehog C64/C128 has been RELEASED and it looks AMAZING! (REU expansion cartridge required) [1.2 UPDATE]

In the early 90's I had the pleasure of playing the great Sonic the Hedgehog on both the Sega Megadrive and the Sega Master System. A game by Sega which featured a ring collecting blue hedgehog that could spin, run, jump and roll about at the fastest of speeds in a battle against other enemies and the main antagonist Doctor Eggman. Well if you remember this fine game and would love to play it on your C64/C128, then we have just found out that as of right now, you can download Sonic The Hedgehog on the C64 and C128 if you have a REU expansion cartridge with at least 256 KB!

AVvXsEhleZflWDoYQVpKzInbSMVB9Tx2nS_t0c5DKC5kCZ2bDdWsoHcVb5HZcPgFzoOKtVjWMBSTkiCJxS4hYUaYZ1dCUn4rlP_D0JjLnzrW95H-2tjIA32cAWUhFnCbhGDbg0uQV7WGNe3U7qpBDlxXsjMyKFNz7xLPto4RcaoIEBqaIT3OkGqCg9JwCfPj=s1132

Video Link for Mobile Users
Looking mighty impressive indeed in the video above, not only is this version of the game a celebration of Sonic's 30th Anniversary as a direct port of the SEGA Master System 8-Bit version, but it's the first C64 made exclusively for RAM Expansion Units both Pal and NTSC. For those of you wanting to know what you'll have in store when you play the game, you'll be able to experience fast and smooth scrolling, great sound effects, six colorful zones to play through, and all of this created by MrSid. So yes certainly a game that will be a worthy addition to 2021 and beyond!

Credits :

• Code .... Mr. SID of HVSC Crew, Megadesigns Incorporated
  • Music .... Encore of Kollektivet, Undone
  • Graphics .... Veto of Oxyron, PriorArt, Tristar & Red Sector Inc.
  • Loader .... Krill of Plush
  • Test .... Encore of Kollektivet, Undone
  • JackAsser of Booze Design
  • Retroluzzer of Excess
  • Veto of Oxyron, PriorArt, Tristar & Red Sector Inc.
  • Help .... JackAsser of Booze Design
v1.2 Release Notes :
  • - This version fixes a few more bugs that were found:
  • - Fixed hang on SuperCPU during SEGA logo
  • - Fixed checkpoint behaviour after using a continue
  • - Fixed special stages appearing after a boss fight
  • - Fixed Sonic’s idle time check

Links :1) SOURCE (Download v1.2 - D64 OR D81) 2) Discussion

Luzur

Good Sir
Supremacy 30th Anniversary Edition - HOT NEWS as a 30 year anniversary special has finally been released for the C64!

We've featured a lot of specials on Indie Retro News, but this latest news update for the C64 is sure to excite many across the globe who loved this classic game. As we've recently been informed via Facebook as a heads up by both Hayesmaker64 and Mike Robertson, that the 1990's hit classic of 'Supremacy' by Probe Software and published via Virgin Mastertronic with stunning music by Jeroen Tel/David Whittaker(ST), has finally been released for the C64 by Excess as the Supremacy 30th Anniversary Edition!

Video Link for Mobile Users

The excess team behind international karate's ultimate, lemmings and speedball ultimate, with code by Knight Rider, graphics by Domingo(Almighty God), Zsolt(zscs), Ste'86 and idea and direction from Alex(der Retroluzzer) are behind this awesome release. As Supremacy Enhanced features not just a number of handy trainers, but this version of the game also features mouse support, an animated pixelated intro from the Amiga version, pixelated armor from the training screen thanks to the coding of Domingo, pixelated Starbase animation and space ships from the shop screen, as well as the weapons from the training screen thanks to Zsolt, improvements to the battle screen and much much more you'll just have to experience for yourselves.

Links :1) Source 2) In Depth Development 3) Download

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sonic The Hedgehog C64/C128 has been RELEASED and it looks AMAZING! (REU expansion cartridge required) [1.2 UPDATE]

For those wondering, this is a very decent conversion, but due to hardware limitations it has paltry vertical scrolling and never really goes fast like the original could.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Does anybody know where to get the blizazrd 1230IV,1240/1060/PPC60060/CyberStormPPC roms?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Lykia - The Lost Island - Psytronik Software announces a big hitter C64, expanded C16 and Plus/4 game and we are excited! [New Trailer Update]

I thought to myself today it's been some time since we had any Zelda style games on Indie Retro News, but thankfully I've come across a game that doesn't just look like a Zelda like game with the publishers saying "disksides full of Zelda-ish passion in FLIvision", but it looks it will be a high quality commercial release from PULS4R Production published by Psytronik Software. Welcome to Lykia - The Lost Island, a game that is not only coming to the C64, expanded C16 and Plus/4, but it looks to be a big hitter spanning 4 disk sides full of Zelda-ish game play

From what we know so far, not only is Lykia - The Lost Island going to be pretty big as mentioned above spanning 4 disk sides. But it will feature incredible graphics, day and night modes, multiple areas such as woodlands, new characters to meet, a stunning cinematic intro, hours worth of gameplay, and from the look of the latest screenshots and wording, it will also feature a great story which will take you on an epic quest. So yes certainly a game worth keeping an eye out for on Indie Retro News or via Psytronik Software.

** CREDITS **

• Main Coding: Stefan Mader
  • Lead Artist: Róbert Kisnémeth
  • Story: Olaf Nowacki
  • Music and SFX: Markus Jentsch
  • Additional Graphics: Rainer Mühr & Stefan Mader
  • Additional Code: Balázs Szabó, Imre Széll, Christian Bauer (and the Frodo staff)
  • Assistance: Lena Kilkka
  • Testing: Louie Dimovski & Jason Mackenzie
  • Box Art: Trevor Storey

Links :1) Plus 4/World 2) Facebook 3) Website

This looks great and Psytronik boxes are extremely high-quality productions, can't wait to get my fingers on this

RuySan

Augur
Homepage of the guy who did the stellar pixel-art in Unreal and Agony on the Amiga, and Iron Lord on the C64, among other games.

He shares some interesting back-stories about the making of these games and details about his artistic process, well worth a read.

Unreal_Title.png

Mountains.png

Capture_01.PNG

This looks incredible. Unreal was quite an impressive game when it was released, and I think it still looks top notch. The stories behind the creation of the art of the games are very interesting.

Mortmal

Arcane

Unreal_Title.png

Mountains.png

Capture_01.PNG

This looks incredible. Unreal was quite an impressive game when it was released, and I think it still looks top notch. The stories behind the creation of the art of the games are very interesting.
One thing to remember is the screenshot of unreal are not doing it justice, when animated on screen it was not pixelated at all.

RuySan

Augur

Unreal_Title.png

Mountains.png

Capture_01.PNG

One thing to remember is the screenshot of unreal are not doing it justice, when animated on screen it was not pixelated at all.

I did play the game not long ago, when I was in a bit of an Amiga binge. Usually i use either the easymode_halation or a costumized New-Pixie shader which are the shaders which better emulate shadowmask CRTs. They're great to make these games look more authentic, although Agony is a very hard game to emulate properly, because some tricks just don't work on an emulator, as Sauer explains.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does anybody know where to get the blizazrd 1230IV,1240/1060/PPC60060/CyberStormPPC roms?

Sniff around at the English Amiga Board? Or ask Toni nicely? :) Isn't the generic emulation in WinUAE enough?

Yeah, but I want to collect em all :lol:

Sure, it just doesn't make much of a practical difference :) Generic 030 for WHDLoad/AGA/CD32 games (with optional turbo-boost), and 060 for some newschool demos that require it, and that's about it. Btw, using 040 and 060 is really not recommended unless you absolutely need it because the emulation of those CPUs are imperfect, whereas 68k and 020/030 are pretty much spot on.

EDIT:

Here's a few:

http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/amiga/EPROMky/Blizzard/
http://amigaga.chez-alice.fr/classic/bin/index.htm

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
This handheld printed C64 case called the "HX-64" aka the "CX-64" looks super cute!

We have featured many different types of retro cases and hardware throughout the years, from products such as the UCassette, The Future Was 8bit's SD2IEC, the Ultimate, Amiga/C64 mini's, to the C64P; a C64DTV based laptop. Well here we are with this rather interesting case for the C64 community that could turn into something special, it's the 'HX-64' aka the "CX-64"; A fully printed handheld by Jeffrey McKelvy that many are hoping will be turned into a working C64 handheld based device with a raspberry pi. To coincide with this news, here's the story from Jeffrey McKelvy which was originally posted via Facebook.

"The other day I posted a picture of my HX-64 unit. Some people wanted more information about it, so here goes.... I contacted the guy who made a graphical version of this asking if I could purchase a copy of his digital version so that I could make one and display it in my home. I didn't hear back from him over a two week period or so, so I decided to build one from scratch, looking at the photos he had on line".

"Anyways, I'm sure most of you are familiar with the look of this model. The one I made does not have the side mini cassette port. Loading a mini cassette into the side with one reel sticking out didn't make sense to me so I omitted it. I also left out the right side expansion port as I didn't want to over clutter the unit, and instead decided on a more minimal, cleaner look. Also, my version is called the CX-64 (Compact Executive)".

"I just wanted to be ironic since it obviously isn't compact and is about 11 inches long. I'm tempted to find a mall, walk around acting like I'm actually playing on it, but I'm too lazy so I'll just stay home and enjoy it. The port section on the back is just one resin 3D printed block made to look like separate ports. The RF port, expansion port, headphone jack and controller ports are real although not connected to anything."

"As you can see by these photos, a raspberry pi can fit inside and a remake of this model can certainly house an LCD screen. The issue would be that I would need to use an external controller as I am not near knowledgeable enough to incorporate built-in controls. I did however manage to make a power light so at least that's something. It will be displayed on my shelf behind me while I use my breadboard. I'm happy with that. Enjoy!".

For further discussion make sure to view the Facebook link (here)

http://www.indieretronews.com/2022/...5ZMJZ59VaRFXQW-TBz4gpe9ulM5IEDClzfoFHIL8#more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom