Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Andrzej Sapkowski doesn't like computer games, hasn't played The Witcher series

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
He shouldn't stop and coming drunk to social events calling people/press tards. That should actually be encouraged.

However, he should stop being butthurt (about Twitcher etc.) because it is childish

And he should also stop being an idiot (continuing his Twitcher shit story, instead leaving it to CDPRed shit story continuation) and continue the story of one and only per accidens raubritter Reinmar von Bielau, and his Silesian sex adventures :troll:

Well, at least he should finalize the case of the Bishop. I mean, he created such a great Antihero just to bury him down in the dark history... All those girls with "white-silver" lips between Bishop's knees... Urban Horn with his Vendetta... They have something to prove, god dammit!!!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has Reynevan ever succeed at anything? He sucked as a medic, sucked as a spy, he sucked as a magician, he was on the losing side of a civil war, his love got murdered, the main antagonist got taken out by his never before mentioned sister (seriously, what was up with that) and he basically ended the story in roughly the same place that he began it. With a crazy stalker as a bonus.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
No. And, well, that's it bro. That's how the story went. He was an average guy "good-at-everything-and-nothing". Mostly he was saved by the more capable friends (Miodek, Szarlej, Horn, chicks, historical figures, etc.). Sometimes, he showed some guts, but not frequently (kind of like every human being). And I liked it in the way. How clumsy and immature he was, yet lucky (and somewhat smart) motherfucker.

And his sister was a nice trolling attempt (meant as unsuspected ending) though begging for some resolution/explanation.

Edit::: Story aside, Trilogy is dozen of floors above Witcher with respect to language/presentation/historical research and some more.

Yeah, now back to the point. Sapkowski is a Bitcher. Who would have known.... pfffftt....

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, 3 months ago he said that he isn't :/
Heh. And he says he never played the games and does't want to even try, right?
And that the games are not canon, yes.
As much as I detest AS as an individual, I find it hard to ridicule him for being butthurt here.

Witcher books may not be a pinnacle of storytelling, but CDP's approach to them was basically akin to Bethesda's approach to F1 and 2. "Bros, let's do as much namedropping as possible, nevermind the nonsensical context, it will show that we are cool 'cause we care and we have read the books and will be the best brofist to all the teenage fans ever!".

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not saying that the best dialogues are often copy-paste from the books (Like quite a long optional one in Twitcher where Geralt spoke with Vivaldi). I got deja vu, opened one of the books and voila! Exactly the same dialogue :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As much as I detest AS as an individual, I find it hard to ridicule him for being butthurt here.

Witcher books may not be a pinnacle of storytelling, but CDP's approach to them was basically akin to Bethesda's approach to F1 and 2. "Bros, let's do as much namedropping as possible, nevermind the nonsensical context, it will show that we are cool 'cause we care and we have read the books and will be the best brofist to all the teenage fans ever!".

Didn't they do that only in the first game?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sapkowski's ego is in gas state; it will always expand to take all available space. In Poland that's common knowledge, but obviously, his interviewer was not prepared and asked the wrong questions, leaving too much room.

I still love The Witcher novels and (even more) short stories. As pulp as they are, they kickstarted (pardon the pun) fantasy in Poland. Before Geralt, it was a really niche genre, especially in literature. Now we get dozens of book published every year (90% of them is shit, of course). We would not have that if not for Sapkowski.

Hussite Trilogy was ok overall - it started out great, but has lost its momentum around the half of the second book. I also liked 'Viper' (which was about an USSR soldier meeting a magical viper in Afghanistan in the 80s), even though that novel seems half-finished and very rushed.

I think we should consider him an ex-writer now. His success has made him really lazy. Writing 'Viper' took him three years, even though it's a really short book. After it was published in 2009 there were no rumours of him writing anything.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

One of the first characters you meet in W2 are a bunch of guys who were only mentioned in one of the short stories where they tried to kill Geralt and gang rape his gf, they were never mentioned again at any point and are of no relevance whatsoever. Here they are somehow on king's service and go "oh hai, hope you're not mad bro" only to not do anything of significance again.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Technically their inclusion may be foreshadowing the appearance of another weredragon in the story. Well, probably not.

oscar

Arcane
I've read two Witcher books translated into English.

I remember the compilation of short stories with Geralt just fulfilling contracts was quite fun. Low-fantasy but not grimdark with a good dose of humour and an ironic take on your usual fantasy tropes (kidnapped princess etc). A year or so ago I read one that had some chosen girl being trained by Geralt at the Witcher's Top Sekrit Academy and it was a boring mess with something about a great war brewing between the so and so's against the whatstheirnames with some BS about the chosen one and Dandelion's hijinks and sex-life at the city's university.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the first characters you meet in W2 are a bunch of guys who were only mentioned in one of the short stories where they tried to kill Geralt and gang rape his gf, they were never mentioned again at any point and are of no relevance whatsoever. Here they are somehow on king's service and go "oh hai, hope you're not mad bro" only to not do anything of significance again.

Okay, mostly in the first game? Also, that was a bit different - a continuation of a plot from the stories, as opposed to recycling plot elements with different names substituted in.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Avoided the witcher because it had a video-game adaptation even though i read hundreds of fantasy books a year

:smug:

xemous

Arcane
It was long known the guy is an ass.

The books are standard fantasy pulp, full of half naked big breasted sorceresses and macho grimdark Witcher, quite terrible and mostly popular with teenagers. However, he wrote a really cool low-magic semi-historical trilogy after that, full of historical references, old language etc. Terrific setting, and very enjoyable, light reading, much better than the Witcher stuff.

It doesn't make sense to compare different media, but I do think the first game was a good effort, it had really good music and atmosphere, and pretty 3d visuals. It's much better than say Dragon Age.

dragon age is far better than the witcher. here an example: i was bored out of my mind after forcing myself into act 2. i finished da: origins 3 times. i couldnt keep up with the fast paced console arcade style beat 'em up mechanics in witcher 2. i finished da: origins 3 times.

// i couldnt bring myself to finish either witcher games they're terrible and the author is right to be mad

cd project is simply absolutely incapable of implementing even the most basic combat mechanics in an crpg. they should start outsourcing the gameplay to a 3rd party and be done with it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom