Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The game has multiple qualities, besides the premise (handcrafted open-world, full party creation), the UI is good, the character system is good, there's some skill usage and the world is at least a bit interactive, itemization is alright, there's some exploration (I think you can enable quest marker but really don't have to?), the combat system is on the slightly too simple side but it's alright.

The thing is the game is quite big, and I'm not the one who'll blame them for making a big game, but as is my problems with the game would be, from what I remember :
- it could use either more dungeon mechanisms, traps, puzzles or whatever, or more unique enemies depending on the dungeon (ideally both),
- the game would benefit from more enemy abilities, maybe more immunities, status afflictions and such, maybe a few more useful spells for the party too,
- the "find 5 bear pelts" quests could be removed, just keep those where you're looking for bandits in a basement and such, for the rest XPs, items as well as the main quest are sufficient reasons to explore,
- one detail, the AI always targets the closest character, maybe only if you put him/her above enough from the others but anyway, you can put your mages and bowmen at a distance and they'll never get targeted, it's annoying.

Therefore I'm intrigued by what they're going to come with next, the fundations are solid enough, if they just keep the same engine and improve the content (dungeons, enemies) then the game could be very fun.

Dorateen

Arcane
One thing I've wondered about. The player character creation allows for elves, orcs... wolfkin. But no dwarves. What gives? I think the character models are cartoonish/abstract enough that size and proportion shouldn't matter. If the developers do expand the engine/game world at some point, I hope they will revisit this grievous omission.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Welp, after finishing this pointless is probably the word I'd use to describe the game past the first 10 or so hours (which were quite fun). There are systems that seem ok at first, somewhat interesting exploration, good for what it is combat (for a while), but it all just becomes so pointless in the end. Leveling feels utterly pointless after a certain point. Dungeons are pointlessly sprawling with very little to actually do. While there's multiple enemy types they pretty much boil down to about 4 archetypes. I had some fun with this, but after the 3rd town I think I just started pushing through to the end and skipping any optional exploration and quests, since I felt that the game will not really have anything meaningful to offer anymore... And it did not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom