Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any decent Half Life 2 mod?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I have this shitty PC that wont run new games and i have a sudden urge to play something action-y. Guess it will chew HL2 engine, but i don't want to replay the vanilla and i know there is a ton of mods for it, but i can't be arsed to weed through them myself. I'm open to recommendations for any other oldish/low spec game too, but i'd prefer it to have some free roaming aspect and maybe physical interaction like in HL2 (which is why i choose it in the first place---it's grafixx also seem to date well).
Yes, i have played Bloodlines, thank you.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, it's like original HL recreated into HL2 engine? That's nice, because i never played the original. Will get.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Yep that's exactly what it is. Very faithful to the original. It's very professionally done, almost like a retail release.
Definitely worth the download. Enjoy!

Play Half Life: Source if you want the actual HL1 in HL2 engine. Black Mesa is more of a remake than a recreation, and it has some... subpar qualities. Also it's not even finished, the Xen levels are still omitted. Though I'd still recommend Black Mesa for a 2nd time around.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is some mods that turn HL2 into RTS, like Lambda Wars and just Wars.
Other titles from my mods database:
NeoTokyo, Mistake of Pythagoras, ENTRANGED (because it have some Twilight Zone influence iirc), Spherical Nightmares, Precursor, G-string, Garrys-mod-doom.

Actually - E.Y.E. - Divine Cybermancy may be counted except it got higher requirements. Or VtM:Bloodlines...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I looked in my HL2 mod folder, only found 2 entries - MINERVA and Nightmare House 2.

Direwolf

Arcane
I'd have to recommend Black Mesa as well. Very well done. To be honest I was surprised they didn't try to sell it when they released it. I would've paid $15 for it.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Play Nightmare House 2 if you feel like playing a poor man's FEAR/Condemned that couldn't of been less scary if all the enemy's sound clips were replaced by random quotes from Macho Man Randy Savage.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
+1 for Minerva. There's a bunch of other singleplayer mods on Steam, try them too.

For multiplayer, Hidden is the best. One player is invisible human-like creature with a knife, all the other players (should be at least four or they are screwed) are well-equipped SWAT team playing together. It's kind of like in a movie Predator or the first Alien set in modern world. Tension is high all the time although nothing happens and when it happens you are shooting walls because you can't see the enemy ;) Definitely one of the best multiplayer games I've played.
http://www.hidden-source.com/

Another game, albeit no mod, that I recommend is E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. It runs on Source, probably has higher system requirements, but I guess on minimum settings it should run on a PC that runs HL2 just fine. There's already long thread about it on 'dex, so you might want to check that. The game goes on sale every major Steam sale. It's especially fun in co-op (although PvP is quite bad) and quite okay in singleplayer, although it's best if you find a bunch of bros to play together (I played with other codexers). The atmosphere of the game feels kind of like Deus Ex, although this game focuses on combat and other skills related to combat, not much talking here.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Underhell is very good and features cool characters with great voice acting, if you can believe that.

Data4

Arcane
+1 for The Hidden. Best if you have a good group to play with. FF incidents from frantic deathblossoms make it that much better. :D

TedNugent

Arcane
Insurgency and Age of Chivalry were probably the best competitive FPS mods that I ever played on Source.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't Neotokyo meets your requirements, but since someone mentioned I have to also mention Dystopia if you're patient and not shitty at FPS.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How could I forgot about Age of Chivalry? Anyway - there is also other multiplayer mod called Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II.

TedNugent

Arcane
I don't Neotokyo meets your requirements, but since someone mentioned I have to also mention Dystopia if you're patient and not shitty at FPS.

Forgot Dystopia. That game is absolutely fuckin' badass. It's cyberpunk and you get to choose weapon mods, plus it's one of the more legit games I've ever played.

If you play a light class you can cloak and equip a cyberdeck which allows you to go into a tron-style cyber hacking world to take out/activate things like turrets and break your way into team objectives. They've also got things like hunter-killer grenades and remote controlled missile launchers. I would highly recommend that anybody even remotely interested in cyberpunk or fast-paced FPSes take a look at Dystopia. Here's a video:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom