Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Most people say that Axiom Verge is a Metroid clone but I really think it comes into its own by the end, haven't played the sequel yet.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Started playing Blasphemous 2 and i don't have much to say other than if you liked the original and the genre in general, you'll like this one.
Has the movement / combat been improved? I dropped BL1 because the character's movement felt kinda clunky and off.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Started playing Blasphemous 2 and i don't have much to say other than if you liked the original and the genre in general, you'll like this one.
Has the movement / combat been improved? I dropped BL1 because the character's movement felt kinda clunky and off.
Yes. I quit for the same reason and thought 2's movement was some of the best I've seen in any metroidvania.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I recommend people not sleeping on Grime, a legit awesome metroidvania, even if the story is all weird and fucked up.

My Top 5 vanias rn:

1. HK
2. Ori 2
3. Grime
4 Blasphemous 1/2
5. Ori 1

Also played S&S, Death's Gambit and F.I.S.T. - all solid, not great.

Tails of Iron and Seasons after Fall are baby's first metroidvanias. And I mean it literally, they're games for kids. Very charming but also super easy and straightforward.

welly321

Scholar
Ok the new prince of persia is very good. It took a while for me to warm up to it, 5-6 hours, but now I am loving it. Very good game. Its made by the rayman legends team at ubisoft so don't let the ubisoft logo turn you off.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok the new prince of persia is very good. It took a while for me to warm up to it, 5-6 hours, but now I am loving it. Very good game. Its made by the rayman legends team at ubisoft so don't let the ubisoft logo turn you off.
Yes, it's a great metroidvania, one of the best.

The only problem is the launching price was 50 fucking dollars, which is p. insane. No idea why they did that, all the best vanias like HK, Ori or Grime launched at 30 at the most.

welly321

Scholar

The only problem is the launching price was 50 fucking dollars, which is p. insane. No idea why they did that, all the best vanias like HK, Ori or Grime launched at 30 at the most.
Wouldn't know. It wasnt on steam so there was no way I was purchasing it. I ended up downloading the switch rom and emulated it on steam deck. It runs at a perfect 60fps. I will never purchase a game on the epic store because I want them to go out of business so there is no more PC "timed exclusives". Its the most cancerous thing in PC gaming since Horse Armor DLC.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I binned Death's Gambit at the fourth boss. The game isn't bad, to be honest, but I just weren't having fun. I realized that I had been forcing my way through the game. Maybe I will give it another shot in a few years.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Wouldn't know. It wasnt on steam so there was no way I was purchasing it. I ended up downloading the switch rom and emulated it on steam deck. It runs at a perfect 60fps. I will never purchase a game on the epic store because I want them to go out of business so there is no more PC "timed exclusives". Its the most cancerous thing in PC gaming since Horse Armor DLC.
N° of exclusive games on Epic: 40
N° of exclusive games on Steam: 4000

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I started playing the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night just to check it out a bit but am now completely hooked on it again

Arthandas

Prophet

Number of games Steam paid for not to be released on Epic: 0
Number of games Epic paid for not to be released on Steam: 40

Tehdagah

Arcane

Number of games Steam paid for not to be released on Epic: 0
Number of games Epic paid for not to be released on Steam: 40
This is even worse, developers have no incentive to release their games exclusively to Steam yet they do it. A big slap in the face of consumers.

Arthandas

Prophet
This is even worse, developers have no incentive to release their games exclusively to Steam yet they do it. A big slap in the face of consumers.
Exactly, because Epic is such a shitty storefront no one wants to interact with it, even though they can.
I started playing the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night just to check it out a bit but am now completely hooked on it again
PSP is the best version, especially on PPSSPP.

welly321

Scholar
I binned Death's Gambit at the fourth boss. The game isn't bad, to be honest, but I just weren't having fun. I realized that I had been forcing my way through the game. Maybe I will give it another shot in a few years.
I think I dropped it right around the same time. The sniper/gun boss. The game was okay but honestly there are so many better ones out there and something about the art/graphics turns me off.

welly321

Scholar

I just knew someone would make this braindead argument. Does steam pay developers to incentivize them to only release on steam? No, that is what Epic does. That is the difference and you have to be a complete mouthbreathing idiot to not realize that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just knew someone would make this braindead argument. Does steam pay developers to incentivize them to only release on steam? No, that is what Epic does. That is the difference and you have to be a complete mouthbreathing idiot to not realize that.
I'd be the last defending Tencent Epic and their ultra shitty store but to be fair, exclusives are probably the only way you can even begin to compete with a juggernaut like Steam. And even then it's probably futile.

Plus nobody gives shit to Sony or M$ for the same thing. I for one am way more pissed that Sony paid FromSoft for Bloodborne being exclusive. Yes they financed the development but the result is still the same. Plus at least Epic exclusives are only for a year while Bloodborne will potentially remain in the PS jail forever.

welly321

Scholar
I'd be the last defending Tencent Epic and their ultra shitty store but to be fair, exclusives are probably the only way you can even begin to compete with a juggernaut like Steam. And even then it's probably futile.

Plus nobody gives shit to Sony or M$ for the same thing. I for one am way more pissed that Sony paid FromSoft for Bloodborne being exclusive. Yes they financed the development but the result is still the same. Plus at least Epic exclusives are only for a year while Bloodborne will potentially remain in the PS jail forever.
I understand it from a business perspective, just like I understand microtransactions make tons of money, but we can all agree they are bad for gaming.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh I absolutely hold them to account for the same shit. M$ is arguably even worse, with their fucking gamepass incentivizing a bunch of F2P mircrotransaction shit in full price games to get revenue out of the people playing it the cheap way. But also fuck Epic for their exclusivity shit. The only good thing about it is that if something makes it from Epic to steam, it's usually not a flaming early access turd any more. I'll also give credit to Epic for giving away games occasionally. But when games go from console jail to epic jail before reaching steam like 5 years after release, I mostly just want to burn the fuckers down.

Also, you forgot Nintendo, which also has a ton of fucking console exclusives, particularly some FATLUS titles I'd really like to play, like SMT 5 and Vanillaware titles, including the upcoming Unicorn Overlord.

Also, fuck Vanillaware for being so console exclusive. Dragon's Crown belongs on PC so I could play it online and without retarded motion controls.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I understand it from a business perspective, just like I understand microtransactions make tons of money, but we can all agree they are bad for gaming.
Well there's the question whether Steam's monopoly is good for gaming and whether a few dozen exclusives are a good tradeoff to break the monopoly to make gaming better overall.

But considering Epic failed completely to break anything and also Steam is the most benevolent monopolist ever that question is academic.

Unless, of course Gaben keels over on account of being a fat fuck, Steam gets sold to some monstrous transnational and becomes a hellhole. But we're not there yet.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Unless, of course Gaben keels over on account of being a fat fuck, Steam gets sold to some monstrous transnational and becomes a hellhole. But we're not there yet.
not yet, we probably should put Gaben on the Dead Watch list

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom