Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apparently a standalone Dota is in beta

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
That's basically what Savage is except the combat has twitch-based elements.
No, it's more like 1 guy builds buildings and researches tech and casts global spells while everyone else spams run and left mouse button.

derp derp derp

They play absolutely nothing alike. dota/hon are controlled like strategy games. i.e you select a unit and right click on an enemy to order him to attack.

All you needed to say.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Oh I'm wrong. When you're playing the beast walking bat dude you sometimes press 3 to spin around in circles.

Whoever said Electrician was shit was very wrong. I played him for the first time today, and he's really good. His grip is better than Rhasta's because it also does AoE damage and blinks him (well, slowly) to the target.

He also has a nuke which, as far as I can tell, is AoE and costs no mana if you hit a hero or a couple creeps, and if you hit a bunch you get bonus mana. An AoE nuke which has a negative mana cost, ahaha. Of course, it doesn't do a lot of damage, but saps mana and can be used to farm. Electrician with Post Haste and Frostfield Plate can farm like a motherfucker, and both items are really good both in general and on gankers like Electrician.

And he has purge as his ult. Which is awesome.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
kingcomrade said:
Oh I'm wrong. When you're playing the beast walking bat dude you sometimes press 3 to spin around in circles.

Whoever said Electrician was shit was very wrong. I played him for the first time today, and he's really good. His grip is better than Rhasta's because it also does AoE damage and blinks him (well, slowly) to the target.

He also has a nuke which, as far as I can tell, is AoE and costs no mana if you hit a hero or a couple creeps, and if you hit a bunch you get bonus mana. An AoE nuke which has a negative mana cost, ahaha. Of course, it doesn't do a lot of damage, but saps mana and can be used to farm. Electrician with Post Haste and Frostfield Plate can farm like a motherfucker, and both items are really good both in general and on gankers like Electrician.

And he has purge as his ult. Which is awesome.

The nuke is pretty weak (Maxes out at 150 iirc) but has another bonus you didn't mention: adding armor and magic armor. Nail 2-3 heroes + a few creeps with this and you'll get enough magic armor to laugh your way through pretty much any single hero's attempts to injure you, especially lategame when you can afford to throw mana shield up too.

I can't figure out how I should build the fucker though. Support items like mana ring / Mek? Sac stone to be more tanky? The plate lets you farm but thats a damned expensive item to try getting first with a melee hero (Though the nuke is nice for last hitting) and you might as well just get whatever you'd use it to farm for instead of the plate if you're going to get something else to help you first. Maybe a Nullstone or Shrunken head to keep your holds intact more often?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
doesn't make it any less bullshit
It's not bullshit. Ranged in the game sucks and everyone has not only run, but double run (lol), so it's just a melee fest. There's nothing RTS about the game much at all, the commander just picks the tech tree and gives orders and support like in battlefield 2.

I can't figure out how I should build the fucker though.
I got plate and farmed up whatever necronomicon is called and guinsoo pretty quick. It worked pretty well though I didn't get guinsoo until pretty late. I had phase boots instead of post haste. You don't really want to take -all- the farm. Frost plate early is really good for ganking.

edit- I read on the forums that right now puzzlebox/necro is bugged and doesn't give truesight

Avu

Liturgist
Electrician can't farm for shit. He is completetly dominated by ranged heroes in lane. His disable has a much shorter range than most other disablers and in hon you can see fucking half the map away so surprise factor in the woods is much reduced. His purge is nice but I'd rather have a hero that can actually do some damage on his own.

Dazzle can slow and heal damage. Puppet can keep things grounded and has a splash atack with increased damage as well as the puppet that can be ultied by someone like lina for imba damage. Shaker can keep an entire team in place and damage them sevearly in the process. Nymphora can mass stun heal and damage and is a lot more mobile. Blacksmith has a stun a slow an atack booster and multicast. Rhasta even though nerfed heavily can push towers disable two heroes at once and has an aoe nuke. Enigma has stun pushing power and the mega aoe disable. Pharaoh has ministuns mana burn traping an unit a blink like stun and a scouting tool aoe damage spell. Devourer has slow stun and hook. Voodoo jester has imba lane presence stun maledict and the death ward. Hellbringer has a slow a stun summon that can tank towers and very good lane presence as well as almost invulnerability in a team fight thanks to his magic damage booster/weird heal. Glacius has slow root and regen aura.

All in all Electrician underperforms. If they gave him some sort of way to deal damage maybe buff his mana burn skill and his grip damage. Right now he deals 435 with a full combo and that is not enough to beat melee creeps and it holds him in place for 5 seconds during which he cannot last hit any creeps his creeps might kill. Farming a frost plate just to farm some more is very difficult. The hero is ok just that there are much better choices out there. If the enemy gets jereziah then go ahead and get electrician otherwise I'd say no.

DefJam101

Arcane
Yeah, KC, by asking if the gameplay was similar to Savage, I was not suggesting that the gameplay was similar to Savage, that is why I asked—to find out if this was true.

DefJam101

Arcane
The problem is DOTA is not like Savage and all Savage fans including myself are conceded, elitist assholes who can't enjoy a competitive multiplayer game unless it involves teams of sweaty teenagers ganking each other with swords or battle axes.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
By the way is there a way to turn off voicechat in Savage 2? I played a game where there was so much nerd chortling going on I couldn't pay attention to the game. GUIIZ WE R ALL SHAPESHIFTERS ROFL

What a lame game of HoN I just played with Zuluf and them. Once again let down by feeder and idiot teammates. And sorry, but I honestly hate playing Axe. I just don't like him. If I'm gonna play an initiator I'm gonna play motherfucking Earthshaker, who can get the enemy into the red. I like being someone who is active rather than "ok I blink-called I hope my team knows they are supposed to attack now...oh they didn't, I'm dead, and my whirl isn't proccing at all, good job"

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It's the missing explanations after being asked twice not the QQ

After playing it a bit I don't like it very much. And my attacks weren't connecting a bunch, no idea why. I could be in melee range, they aren't blocking, and I'm swinging but hitting nothing. Meh. It's free, I suppose.

What happened to all the researchable guns and whatnot from the first Savage?

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
After playing it a bit I don't like it very much. And my attacks weren't connecting a bunch, no idea why. I could be in melee range, they aren't blocking, and I'm swinging but hitting nothing. Meh. It's free, I suppose.

That's probably the biggest problem with S2. With a ping above 60, your hit detection just goes to shit and it's often impossible to tell what's going on. (You might be blocked but not know it until milliseconds later, where the sound is masked by something else, and so on.)

What was your ping by the way? If you had a decent one (like ~50) I have no idea what the problem is.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Aha, found this on the HoN forums

Enigma vs new Enigma (Tempest)
enigmaold.jpg

|
|
|
|
\/
enigmanew.jpg

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I swear to god. I get flamed so much in this game just for trying to get people to work as a team. It's like a challenge to their e-penis if I suggest they do something besides what they're already doing.

I was playing as a solo mid Zeus. I was totally goin at it pro. Courier, wards, bottle and runewhoring. It was meh. Dumbass teammates would definitely never spend a single gold on helping make sure that one entire lane, with the solo hero, could do well, so I did all the warding myself. I also had to buy the courier and everything, and in HoN the courier is SO awkward and clunky. I spent so much time not last hitting, instead runing or warding or fucking with the courier that I ended the laning phase with boots bottle mantle (+3 int) and a gg branch. Ugh. 1 kill to show for it, that's all. And I think I got it because he lagged out for a few seconds.

What pissed me off is that this Earthshaker would take every single bottom rune. I would go towards it, he would be getting there first. He would go "my rune" and I would say "let me have it please im soloing mid" and he would say "don't care stfu bitch." Oh, my god. And of course I have about a limit of 2 idiotic teammate events before I lose my temper and start flaming them when the fuck up or do something stupid and greedy.

That friend I mentioned earlier in the thread, I just have to keep in mind that everyone online is going to play like him.

We won that game, by the way. Because I went 23-4. I was the only one who bought wards and dust against a team with 3 invis heroes. My endgame items were phase boots, manatube, talisman, bottle, gg branch. I spent so much money on wards and shit I couldn't ever get anything else. What was my reward for doing all that support stuff? "TB was a fuckin' killstealer"

Avu

Liturgist
Just ban them fuckers so you never have to play with them again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom