Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcade Racing

Unwanted

†††

Patron
AI is actually challenging which is good.
Mmm... half of the rivals are these slow as shit nondescript sedans that are easily lapped, and as you go up in classes, they don't get faster so their purpose is to hinder you... I lost track of the times they just occupied the middle of narrow lanes/hairpin turns making it impossible to pass them without bumping into them. Also, up until Class 5 you can easily win with cars from a class below.

I got gud, I beat the game, but I hated it. It can be decent in time trial but the slow rivals and physics ruin it for me. RRT4 is king, despite the low difficulty; it gets everything else right.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

I don't know how someone can hate this game tbh.

You might enjoy this guy's channel. He has really good times in most of the RRs.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Oh and how could I forget this channel, it's even better:

I do agree that RRT4 beats Rage btw. I see Rage as kind of a prototype for T4, but at the same time, I can't say that T4 completely subsumes Rage either.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Some of my favorites:

Trackmania Sunrise

Star Wars Racer

GRID

Need For Speed Shift 1

Dethkarz

Gerrard

Arcane
If you cannot drive in a straight line for 30 minutes then it isn't The Crew. This seems like it was supposed to be a DLC/expansion for TC2 but instead they decided to charge full price for it. Wouldn't be the first time either.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Been going through Sean Seanson's videos, and just came across his review for N-Gen Racing, an aerial combat racing game made by ex-devs of WipeOut, that's fast paced, content rich, and has top tunes as you'd expect. A seriously overlooked gem.

Last edited:
Bomb tag in Destruction Derby is wildly fun. There is a bomb that detonates every 5 seconds. You can only rid yourself of it by touching another car. Passing the bomb does not reset the timer. When it explodes, it reassigns at random until there is only one player. So simple, but a total riot.

Gerrard

Arcane

TC2 finally getting a race creator in next update.

Also, it's 90% off on Steam.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
A different direction than the others posted here, I’ve had a lot of fun with the very arcade-y Horizon Chase Turbo.

It’s very much inspired by arcade classic Cruis’n USA/World. I played the hell out of those as a kid, and this scratches that itch.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A different direction than the others posted here, I’ve had a lot of fun with the very arcade-y Horizon Chase Turbo.

It’s very much inspired by arcade classic Cruis’n USA/World. I played the hell out of those as a kid, and this scratches that itch.

It has a Senna DLC :salute:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Racing fiends, I come here for your advice. I'm looking for a simple SP racing game I can play with either keyboard or gamepad, with long and varied tracks that takes time to master. To be more precise, I'm a big fan of Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy, Quake 3 Defrag, this kind of games that can be replayed ad vitam aeternam simply for the pleasure of slowly getting better at them. Good music is appreciated, nice visuals are a must although I don't need last-gen details and am perfectly happy with quality retro style. Most importantly the controls must be perfect. I don't care for careers or unlockable. Only long tracks, precise driving, and never-ending challenge. Does it ring a bell to you ?

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Racing fiends, I come here for your advice. I'm looking for a simple SP racing game I can play with either keyboard or gamepad, with long and varied tracks that takes time to master. To be more precise, I'm a big fan of Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy, Quake 3 Defrag, this kind of games that can be replayed ad vitam aeternam simply for the pleasure of slowly getting better at them. Good music is appreciated, nice visuals are a must although I don't need last-gen details and am perfectly happy with quality retro style. Most importantly the controls must be perfect. I don't care for careers or unlockable. Only long tracks, precise driving, and never-ending challenge. Does it ring a bell to you ?
Check Art of Rally.

V17

Educated
It doesn't check all the boxes, especially because long tracks are not that common (the game is all about user tracks and you can filter by length in the semi-official track registry, it just isn't where most of the focus is), but in my opinion there's no better arcade racing game that you can play for years purely for the fun of getting better at it than Trackmania.

The controls are pretty much perfect and the physics model is the deepest I've ever seen in an arcade game that's not trying to be realistic but to create its own complex non-realistic system. It takes years to master and it's all about precision. The core of the game is the physics plus the fact that it comes with a fully featured track editor (meaning there's no difference between "official tracks" and user tracks), so you continually get new tracks, many of which are of pretty high quality.

The base version where you can try out if you like the physics and graphics is free, you get 25 new tracks every 3 months, but this seasonal official campaign has sadly been getting simpler and simpler (not necessarily the medal times, but the concepts used in the tracks) to retain more new users. The paid version uses a subscription model, but it's just 10 USD per year, which to me is a pretty good deal considering they do keep adding not just maps but also new features.

This is an example of what a mainstream style "long" trackmania map looks like. Longer maps are uncommon because they tend to be frustrating due to how much concentration is needed to not fuck up for 10 minutes straight. However there are some weirdos who spent hundreds of hours to get the world record on a super difficult 10 minutes long map.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
It doesn't check all the boxes, especially because long tracks are not that common (the game is all about user tracks and you can filter by length in the semi-official track registry, it just isn't where most of the focus is), but in my opinion there's no better arcade racing game that you can play for years purely for the fun of getting better at it than Trackmania.

The controls are pretty much perfect and the physics model is the deepest I've ever seen in an arcade game that's not trying to be realistic but to create its own complex non-realistic system. It takes years to master and it's all about precision. The core of the game is the physics plus the fact that it comes with a fully featured track editor (meaning there's no difference between "official tracks" and user tracks), so you continually get new tracks, many of which are of pretty high quality.

The base version where you can try out if you like the physics and graphics is free, you get 25 new tracks every 3 months, but this seasonal official campaign has sadly been getting simpler and simpler (not necessarily the medal times, but the concepts used in the tracks) to retain more new users. The paid version uses a subscription model, but it's just 10 USD per year, which to me is a pretty good deal considering they do keep adding not just maps but also new features.

This is an example of what a mainstream style "long" trackmania map looks like. Longer maps are uncommon because they tend to be frustrating due to how much concentration is needed to not fuck up for 10 minutes straight. However there are some weirdos who spent hundreds of hours to get the world record on a super difficult 10 minutes long map.

Wow, nice video.

I actually did look for it but decided against, despite the game ticking many boxes, because of the small tracks, also I already played my share of TM:UF, but mostly I'm still angry at Nadeo for what they've done to this once-wonderful license, so there's no way in hell I'm giving them another buck.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
In the end I've settle for TT Isle of Man : Ride on the Edge 2. It's arcadey enough to be played with a pad, have no damage model, an abstract mechanical setup and while I have no experience in bike driving I'm confident it has not much to do with it. Plus you can set the difficulty as you wish with no penalty.
On the other end missteps are punished sooner than later, and you can't have a break in concentration or in the meadow you fly.

The Snaefel Mountain Course is gorgeous and pleasant, I've completed only once but did enjoy the scenery and the insane speed you can maintain for most of its length. Other tracks and free-roams are welcome, and the career mode is casual, laidback, and totally not mandatory.

So good balance, I don't know much about racing games but I'm happy with it.

Gostak

Educated
https://acgaudette.itch.io/autograv
is good fun (though just 1 on 1 against bots amidst traffic), also just to watch some
bots duke it out.

Might suffer from a memory leak, consider yourself warned, save your work beforehand, I guess. :P

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
In the end I've settle for TT Isle of Man : Ride on the Edge 2. It's arcadey enough to be played with a pad, have no damage model, an abstract mechanical setup and while I have no experience in bike driving I'm confident it has not much to do with it. Plus you can set the difficulty as you wish with no penalty.
On the other end missteps are punished sooner than later, and you can't have a break in concentration or in the meadow you fly.

The Snaefel Mountain Course is gorgeous and pleasant, I've completed only once but did enjoy the scenery and the insane speed you can maintain for most of its length. Other tracks and free-roams are welcome, and the career mode is casual, laidback, and totally not mandatory.

So good balance, I don't know much about racing games but I'm happy with it.
I didn't see your earlier post. My recommendation is Sega's Scud Race.

And get a Negcon.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Never knew the ports of Road Rash were so good. Also that there was a Road Rash book
sweatonmybrow.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom