Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

T. Reich

Arcane
Yeah. This is my fatal mistake; I played by a walkthrough and when I arrived at Tarant, I realized what I've done. That's why decided to not back my saves when I deleted the whole thing and re-installed with this mod.

A friend of mine reads guides for every game, plotting out his skills and min-maxing to an absurd extreme. Never understood why.

Half the fun is not knowing what to expect and making characters with unanticipated flaws or strengths.

I understand your friend perfectly.
Theorycrafting and metagaming is a whole world of fun, if the game's systems are actually robust.
And when you play it, few things compare to the majestic feeling of accomplishment, seeing the plan you made being executed as you expected.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I understand your friend perfectly.
Theorycrafting and metagaming is a whole world of fun, if the game's systems are actually robust.
And when you play it, few things compare to the majestic feeling of accomplishment, seeing the plan you made being executed as you expected.

Nothing against it at all, if that's how your mind works ;)

biggestboss

Liturgist
Alright, so I picked up Virgin and starting killing some wolves. This actually seems like a really great game. I do have a question though. How do I get it so that the game automatically turns back to real time after combat is finished? I want it to only be turn based during combat and I also want 0% real time combat.

Also, how do I Alt+Tab without the game crashing every time? I'm playing GoG version.

Keye_

Educated
Alright, so I picked up Virgin and starting killing some wolves. This actually seems like a really great game. I do have a question though. How do I get it so that the game automatically turns back to real time after combat is finished? I want it to only be turn based during combat and I also want 0% real time combat.

Movement outside of combat is never turn-based.. Are you sure you have exited combat? You have to click on the toggle combat icon (or right-mouse click) most of the time, combat doesn't end automatically.

And it's one of the best RPGs you will ever play.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I use the Spacebar to enter combat and leave combat, but I'm not sure if this is how I'm supposed to be doing it. I think that pressing Spacebar actually just cycles through the Combat options in the settings (Real Time -> Turn Based -> Fast Turn Based).

Keye_

Educated
I use the Spacebar to enter combat and leave combat, but I'm not sure if this is how I'm supposed to be doing it. I think that pressing Spacebar actually just cycles through the Combat options in the settings (Real Time -> Turn Based -> Fast Turn Based).

Yep, you were doing it wrong. Spacebar cycles through the Combat options. You use right-click or the combat-toggle button to exit combat.

biggestboss

Liturgist
One last stupid question. A spirit said that he marked a location on my map to go to, but when I look at my map, I don't see any marking. Am I supposed to be able to see the marking (Arbalah's location)?

Keye_

Educated
It will not show on the normal map, but the location will be marked on the 'world-map'. This map, which you use to travel to different locations, can be accesed at the outer edges of each location. The map button will go blue, that's how you know.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Normally, I like researching a lot about games before I play them, but I can see the value in not doing so for this game in particular. Spoilers for like the first hour of the game:
I was talking to the gnome in the first town and decided he was untrustworthy from his nervous ticks after showing him the ring. I then reloaded and googled and it was made clear to me that following my instincts was correct and it actually felt good to me that I was right. So I guess for the first time in a while, I'll just wing it and live with the consequences.

Black Angel

Arcane
Normally, I like researching a lot about games before I play them, but I can see the value in not doing so for this game in particular. Spoilers for like the first hour of the game:
I was talking to the gnome in the first town and decided he was untrustworthy from his nervous ticks after showing him the ring. I then reloaded and googled and it was made clear to me that following my instincts was correct and it actually felt good to me that I was right. So I guess for the first time in a while, I'll just wing it and live with the consequences.
Just go with it, man ;)

But asking technical questions are fine, let us know if you're confused by that aspect.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I just cant get into this game, the combat is so....shitty. Am I doing something wrong..? Pisses me off because all I hear is how great this game is, but I just cant imagine forcing myself to play through such shitty combat for tens of hours.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just cant get into this game, the combat is so....shitty. Am I doing something wrong..? Pisses me off because all I hear is how great this game is, but I just cant imagine forcing myself to play through such shitty combat for tens of hours.

You fell vicitim to the Arcanum meme, friend.

You fags want to know why the Codex is on the ass end of the internet? You try to shovel shit like Arcanum as "must play", so after five minutes dealing with that broken mess, people quickly can disregard your opinions on other things.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I just cant get into this game, the combat is so....shitty. Am I doing something wrong..?
paying attention to the combat

:troll:
Look, I just played through Shadowrun Hong Kong, I cant play another fucking 50 hour game full of shit combat
go play underrail, its great
Ive played Underrail before and got a decent ways into it and really enjoyed it, didnt finish it for whatever reason though and Im waiting for the expansion to come out before I play it again. Its one of the first games I thought of playing after SRHK though, since it has a somewhat similar setting to SR, which I enjoyed immensely.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
manual selection of fixes and documentation in Drog's patch beats this IMO, unless you just want more eye candy.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I think I'm going to start a new game because I accidentally quick saved right before a bunch of high level enemies rip my party apart and I'm a one save kind of guy. I have a question about appearance and reputation: how important is reaction? I was wearing Dread Armor and all the NPCs make fun of my character but I don't know if it's causing me to miss out on dialogue options, etc.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Arcanum makes it hard for it to be liked at first because it pushes you against its shitty combat system. I only managed to get past the first town after the 2nd try.

I don't know, I'd suggest skipping as much combat as possible or finding a setup that makes it tolerable. Might I suggest the following heresies: go real-time when you just want to escape or it's a filler fight, and maybe switch the difficulty to easy so it's over fast. You could also get the spell Harm and rape everything easily. Or more Charisma to have many followers. But if you want to fight, better invest in it.

Stealth is awesome though, never done so well in an isometric rpg imo.

T. Reich

Arcane
Only retards bash combat in Arcanum, because people in the know remember that we have:
1) harm spell
2) looking glass rifle
3) pyrotechnic axe
4) summon ogre spell
5) up to 6 party members equipped with said murdertools, clearing most mob encounters in a heartbeat
All of which are accessible soon after getting to Tarant and completing a few non-combat quests to get the necessary levels.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Only retards bash combat in Arcanum, because people in the know remember
What about new players, eh? They're not people in the know, and they're the ones that will face firsthand the shittiness of Arcanum's combat.

Also, your whole argument rests on the fact that there are a handful of uber spells and items that render the combat meaningless? That doesn't make the combat unbashable, it doesn't make it good. It reduces its annoyance by basically having ways of trivializing it, IFF you know about them.

Only retards do not bash combat in Arcanum. It is objectively bad. And uber spells/items, plus the unbalancing factor of having a small or big party are additional reasons for that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom