Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Archaelund now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 4 Dimension Games; Archaelund

Why Early Access?
Because the feedback will make the game much better. We have a very dedicated and active community and group of testers, and the EA content has been thoroughly tested and adjusted, but before embarking in the completion and release of such a vast game we want to know what the players think, and how fun the game is to them.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
Our priority is making the game as good as it can get, and make it huge, so we have no dates set in stone. But we do have a detailed roadmap, which you can check to know more details about what is coming and when.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
  • The Early Access version will include a small portion of the whole planned geographical areas.
  • Some of the already available areas might be improved during development.
  • The Early Access version covers the character progression up to a limited level, based on the available content at the time.
  • Many more Advanced Careers and playable races are planned, as moving into new Careers is an important part of the character development once mid and high levels are reached.
  • The first Early Access release only includes the first chapter of the Main Quest.
You can find more up-to-date details in the Discussions section.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
It includes all the core mechanics of Archaelund. Plenty of races and careers, dozens of spells and talents, and character progression up to level 4. It features the initial chapter of Archaelund's main quest, plus a large region to explore freely with plenty of side-quests, dialogues, challenges and secrets. While the main quest first chapter can be concluded in about four hours, exploring the whole content should take around 15-20 hours.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
We will gradually raise the price during the Early Access stage, as we add content and features.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
By listening to the players. Player feedback is the most valuable resource in game development, and is also the main reason we release an Early Access game instead of calmly proceeding to complete the game by ourselves. We are aware no matter how much thought and work we put into a game, the interaction with players and listening to their opinion is essential to reach the full potential of Archaelund.​

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082970/Archaelund/

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Has a nice adventuresome feel to it. Looks like an interesting world to explore. Some derp to the character models is always welcome. I am not a fan of the "begin combat" and "victory" font that is used. Anyone pick it up? How is performance at this stage?

I will purchase, but since I use Linux I might not bother for now. I was able to run Gedonia fine with Proton in EA, so maybe I will cave.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Judging by the trailer, this could be *majestic incline*. This is how I would expect a modern non-shit RPG to look like. I'm not an early access person, so looking forward to the final version.

I also hope the FOV is adjustable because a few animated wide-angle shots were a bit too much for me (I have motion sickness).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game's thread started in early 2019 and the development road map estimates a final release in Q2 2026. It's in some kind of production "hell" regardless.

I don't think you have anything to worry about casuals playing this niche Early Access game and watering down its vision, though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Idk

Just make a game you enjoy

They need money sooner, we know what this is about

If EA has taught us anything, its just gonna take longer to release (and it has a high chance to end up worse)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
My impression is that the benefit of Early Access feedback for indie developers is less about players saying "I think your game should be designed like this" and more about getting free QA and playtesting.

These developers can be astoundingly blind to the bugs in their own games, they'll release shit with bugs that an Early Access player would run into within 15 minutes.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My impression is that the benefit of Early Access feedback for indie developers is less about players saying "I think your game should be designed like this" and more about getting free QA and playtesting.

These developers can be astoundingly blind to the bugs in their own games, they'll release shit with bugs that an Early Access player would run into within 15 minutes.
Yeah, I did check out the Steam page and I was confused by the "looking for feedback" part (as luj1 said, stick to your vision, and fuck the rest), but you're right, they might be looking for free QA personel. Well, I'm not interested in becoming one.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

they explicitly said "we want to see how FUN the game is to players"

its not about bugs

KD6-3.7

Literate
Only 1/4 EA games see full release, it's excuse to collect money for incomplete game.

They all claim 'feedback.' And Valve loves it, of course.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yup... why wouldnt Valve love that... they get a % of every purchase

Idk why Infinitron always has to defend developers blindly like a lawyer... stand up for the integrity of the RPG genre you shameful man

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
dickwolves-2.jpg

DavidBVal I want to state in clear language without ambiguity or room for interpretation: I hate Early Access scammers, and all the scams they do. Seriously, though. Scammers are really the worst.

It's possible you read my newspost and decided not to finish your game as a direct result. If you're planning on not finishing your game right now, please stop. Apologize. And continue working on it. Go, and scam no more.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
scam or not, asking players "What is fun for you?" means you dont really believe in your vision

Countless examples but Soyer is the most famous one

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In the fiction market a good beta read can help you find plot holes, punch up any boring parts, or identify cruft that can be cut.

On the other hand, I've read manuscripts that were original and creative, go through a bunch of editing, and turn into bland oatmeal devoid of any flavor. There's a balance.

A good dev can feel when they've got a great idea. I recall an old interview with the Command and Conquer devs, they said the game was so fun to work on it didn't even feel like work. They just knew they were making something special.

You also have games like 7 Days to Die, whose updates have essentially made it two or three sequels to itself. It's as if observing it caused it to change. Maybe if the devs hadn't done EA they'd have released it according to its earliest iteration, failed, and quit. Or done a proper sequel based on the feedback and experience instead of hammering on a ten year old jalopy.

I have kickstarted three games. One by a reputable studio, and two long-shots.
  1. Pillars of Eternity
  2. Divinity: Original Sin
  3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have bought early access four times. One by a reputable studio, and three by indies.
  1. Pillars of Eternity
  2. Everspace
  3. Examina
  4. Gedonia
Guess which games I thoroughly enjoyed, and which one I didn't. I'm going to trust my instincts on Archaelund. This game will make it. I predict it may even be good.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've released two 10hr+ games out of early access within two years each, AMA.

But seriously, I needed it to find bugs. And to keep me from going broke.

1704783776801.png

I don't see why this is controversial for solodevs/small teams. Especially ones with good reputations.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Player feedback is the most valuable resource in game development <...> the interaction with players and listening to their opinion is essential to reach the full potential of Archaelund.
I find your lack of dwarves disturbing!
Seriously, who in the whole damned world gives a shit about batrax, whateverdon or any other shitty excuse for originality.
If you want the game to reach full potential add dwarves before entertaning the lizard-lovers.

R@tmaster

Educated
Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!Combat Begins!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom