Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Archrebel: Tactics - A reincarnation of the classic Rebelstar.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
My most anticipated game of the year.
Wow! That's some potent comment right there, at least for me. Thanks for letting me know about it; I hope it won't disappoint. I will work closely with the community after the demo to make sure any issues are addressed prior to its release in EA. Just because it will be released in Early Access, doesn't mean polishment should be overlooked. I value quality in the things I purchase and I want Archrebel to be a high-quality product as well. All features shipped with the Early Access release should be working at least at 100%.

Cheers!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Archrebel's visual representation is not about being realistic but providing a clear picture of what is happening on the battlefield
I don't see how facing right while bullets fly out of your butt to the left is clear, but to each their own. not a big deal, just looks weird.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Archrebel's visual representation is not about being realistic but providing a clear picture of what is happening on the battlefield
I don't see how facing right while bullets fly out of your butt to the left is clear, but to each their own. not a big deal, just looks weird.

When in fire mode, units are transformed into signature circles, it shouldn't be a problem as you don't see the bullet coming out from any particular body part. But for consistency's sake, are you ok with bullets coming out from the head and genitals when aiming up and down? Just curious.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't think bullets traveling up/down is that strange. It's not that all abstraction is bad, just pointing right and firing left is the exact opposite. There isn't an equivalent for firing up/down, unless the character sprite were drawn with it's gun pointed down all the time. Then yes, it would look strange for bullets to come out of the head.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I don't think bullets traveling up/down is that strange. It's not that all abstraction is bad, just pointing right and firing left is the exact opposite. There isn't an equivalent for firing up/down, unless the character sprite were drawn with it's gun pointed down all the time. Then yes, it would look strange for bullets to come out of the head.

Alright. I will consider it an issue if more people complain about it; so far you are the only one pointing it out. One possible fix could be removing light direction from units, which as a trade-off, would make units lose clarity becoming somewhat flatter with light coming straight down; because I've tried it before. The second solution would be having a sprite just for the opposite side recolored with the right light direction. This last solution would be overkill at this stage, considering each unit is made of 5 sprites stacked together. I'm not sure if the game interests you but perhaps you can provide more input when the demo comes out; perhaps the gameplay can mitigate the weirdness of this issue.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ularis Badler I understand, in your role you need to separate useful feedback from noise and be judicious about where you spend your time.

I love tactical combat, so I'm interested but there's no nostalgia factor here for me. If I play the demo, I'll give you some feedback.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On the other hand, if there are enemies both left and right to your units, it could be a bit distracting that the sprites keep turning depending on which side attacks.

BUT maybe it's fine and it's time to get a "facing attack / backstab" mechanic implemented; I like that a lot in tactical games, it adds depth to the combat.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
BUT maybe it's fine and it's time to get a "facing attack / backstab" mechanic implemented; I like that a lot in tactical games, it adds depth to the combat.

I reckon that it works well for 3D or 2.5D isometric tactical games that inherent visuals for facing every direction. For Archrebel, it would be unclear how to perform backstabs from north and south positions with fixed 'single' sprite visuals. One of the reasons for Archrebel staying with Rebelstar's original perspective was to maintain simplicity with its 360º awareness, even though the overwatch will feature a field of view based on the equipped item; something I'm currently working on as I type this.

I decided to trade the 'directional-look' model for a more interesting damage model, where body parts injuries affect particular functionality; this is something that most tactical games don't explore beyond: 'wounds = less AP per turn'. Some examples include: wounds to legs adds a penalty for moving; wounds to arms adds a penalty for performing actions; torso wounds reduce AP recovered at the beginning of the turn; wounds to head decreases combat scores and add a penalty to skills. Left and right limbs can be wounded independently providing a good variety of wound combinations. Being damaged to both legs means you are basically crawling and AP cost for moving will reflect that.

Another 'not-so-often' considered model for armor is simulating armor gaps making you able to pull off 'critical hits' based on the armor's protection body coverage score instead of being an attribute governed by units themselves or pure chance regardless of the physical characteristics of your target.

upload_2022-4-30_12-6-32.png

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I decided to trade the 'directional-look' model for a more interesting damage model, where body parts injuries affect particular functionality; this is something that most tactical games don't explore beyond: 'wounds = less AP per turn'. Some examples include: wounds to legs adds a penalty for moving; wounds to arms adds a penalty for performing actions; torso wounds reduce AP recovered at the beginning of the turn; wounds to head decreases combat scores and add a penalty to skills. Left and right limbs can be wounded independently providing a good variety of wound combinations. Being damaged to both legs means you are basically crawling and AP cost for moving will reflect that.

Another 'not-so-often' considered model for armor is simulating armor gaps making you able to pull off 'critical hits' based on the armor's protection body coverage instead of being an attribute governed by units themselves or pure chance regardless of the physical characteristics of your target.

This all sounds very good, indeed! :incline:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I reckon that it works well for 3D or 2.5D isometric tactical games that inherent visuals for facing every direction. For Archrebel, it would be unclear how to perform backstabs from north and south positions with fixed 'single' sprite visuals. One of the reasons for Archrebel staying with Rebelstar's original perspective was to maintain simplicity with its 360º awareness, even though the overwatch will feature a field of view based on the equipped item; something I'm currently working on as I type this.

Another 'not-so-often' considered model for armor is simulating armor gaps making you able to pull off 'critical hits' based on the armor's protection body coverage score instead of being an attribute governed by units themselves or pure chance regardless of the physical characteristics of your target.

View attachment 24137

Great to read these words about damage model. The critical system you mentioned is very ingenuous, elegant and probably easy to implement.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Wow! You're fast. I was going to mention it here. This is the extended version of the score I used in Steam's promo video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
This video shows the overwatch mechanics taking shape, triggering as the blue team steps into their field of views defined by the read team.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Will there be ways to avoid overwatch? Skills, or equipment?
You can't avoid reaction shots from the opposing team. However, you can activate the energy shield when walking into non-secure areas and use probes to reveal the surroundings and spot unfriendly units that are in overwatch mode.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Nice, it has an 80s electro vibe to it that I like, and definitely more upbeat than the others. I think I like the previous ones a bit better, but some variation is always good.

I don't think I will be able to top track number 4. But yeah, I'm also providing some variation.
Thanks for the praise!

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Just posting a new video that showcases a small battle against the AI.

[EDIT] Where it reads: "Overwatch is not" it means "Overwatch is now".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom