Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are people who play female protagonist gay?

Fargus

Arcane
new cope: I play a girl for the better voice acting

:nocountryforshitposters:

This is more than a decade old femshep simp mantra. Funny shit.

I read similar comments on cyberpunk related forums as well. "WOW i'Ll pLaY gIrL V BeCauSe beTTeR vOicE AcTinG!" when she sounds like a rat getting choked on cheese half the time. Then again these people are paying a first person game so they could look at their character's butt.

Also voiced customized protagonist was a mistake.

Last edited:
You know, something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is how it applies to MMOs. For instance playing as a female character offers a significant competitive advantage over male characters due to simps handing out free items and services.

Hagashager

Educated
I bet all those Thief fangirls that populate the TTLG forums are closet dykes. Identifying with a man after all.
There are Thief fangirls?

There seemed to be a lot of them congregating in the Thief forums based on their mannerisms and usernames. There's a lot of Garret fanart too.
Quite a few. And not ones who are, ahem, not what they seem as in the case of Doom and the wider retro FPS community. Or this place. Some prominent FM makers are/were female.
Also in my experience there has always been a lot of ladies in the point and click adventure and interactive fiction spheres.
Why would it surprise anyone that gamer girls are into Garrett? The character is a quintessential brooding male protagonist- he is the very model of female power fantasy trophy. The only thing missing is a good, (but too good y'know) woman to set him right.

Yes, point and click adventure games are very popular among older Millennial women since, in the '90s, it was one of the few genres of video-game that was socially acceptable for a young girl to play.

I...really wish I didn't read that comment on Zelda R34. That's all I'll say on that.

As to the thread itself. If men who play female characters are gay then over 90% of Codex are flamboyant homosexuals...which would actually make a lot of sense now that I think about it. Forbidden fruit and all that.

Modron

Arcane
I guess the only take away from this thread is: to avoid being called gay on the codex you can only play as transexuals.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Why would it surprise anyone that gamer girls are into Garrett? The character is a quintessential brooding male protagonist- he is the very model of female power fantasy trophy.
Yeah, but they're playing AS Garrett in the game. That must mean they want to BE him, in REAL LIFE. That's why if you play as a female protagonist that appeals to YOUR tastes, then YOU'RE gay too. That's just how it is.

deuxhero

Arcane
Based on the fact that 90% of mass effect players pick maleshep, despite the obvious superiority of femshep vo, I can only conclude that most gamers fall in the "strong" camp.
While I generally agree with your assessment, this has nothing to do with it. Default male Shepard was on the cover, so this is clearly who they canonically wanted us to play. Genderbending him is as unnatural as adjusting his face in the editor to resemble a pink potato.

Besides, Hale's voice acting being superior is a post-fact cope by the feminists just because she's a bigger name. Mark Meer ftw.

I don't think it was that he was on the cover, I think it's that he was the default. The same data that says 90% played male also says they overwhelmingly picked the default class too. I wouldn't expect even 60/40 if the default was randomized (something KotOR already did incidentally), but I suspect it could be brought up to 20% in that case. Making the female the default is generally just cringe unless the game is designed with playing a cute girl in mind and male option is just publisher mandate, and making the female intentionally ugly is just abomination.

Shadenuat

Arcane
To treat this question with more seriousness than it deserves, and lots of rampant speculation:

I suspect there is some deep psychological divide here
The problem lies with the inability of adult to exersise act of play itself. Not only people cant play anything else but some male shep, they also cant play in different styles, things they think are suboptimal or isnt sorcererpaladindragondisciple. Neither they can enjoy morrowind or understand larp playthroughs or building trash in minecraft.
Uncreative adult is all about input, they wait thing to placate to them instead of putting out their creativity outwards into play.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DX2Main_2013-03-18_00-20-55-99.1.jpg

The female Alex Denton was voiced by Laura Bailey. Don't remember the voice actor of male Alex Denton.
Honestly, Laura Bailey sounds like she actually gives a fuck, while the other guy sounds way off it.

Hagashager

Educated
Why would it surprise anyone that gamer girls are into Garrett? The character is a quintessential brooding male protagonist- he is the very model of female power fantasy trophy.
Yeah, but they're playing AS Garrett in the game. That must mean they want to BE him, in REAL LIFE. That's why if you play as a female protagonist that appeals to YOUR tastes, then YOU'RE gay too. That's just how it is.
I never knew my affection for capable yet mysterious women with a hint of maternal instinct actually said this about me.

I...I need to call my parents, there're things...from my childhood...we should talk about.

Thank you Codex...thank you...

toughasnails

To treat this question with more seriousness than it deserves, and lots of rampant speculation:

I suspect there is some deep psychological divide here
The problem lies with the inability of adult to exersise act of play itself. Not only people cant play anything else but some male shep, they also cant play in different styles, things they think are suboptimal or isnt sorcererpaladindragondisciple. Neither they can enjoy morrowind or understand larp playthroughs or building trash in minecraft.
Uncreative adult is all about input, they wait thing to placate to them instead of putting out their creativity outwards into play.
Your binary, so framed as to equate free and irresponsible play with what is most authentically human, can endure only in the absence of reflection.
The nature of our creativity is that we never create ex nihilo, we are finite beings who are always already in a situation and our creative acts are always responses. One's a nature of which one has no absolute control, one rather nurtures it, responds to it. One is in a world, one inherits a language etc. An adult who'd authentically exercise their creative capabilities would do so in awareness of this. The alternative is indeed remaining a child, in the worst sense, closing oneself into egotistic prison wherein one plays with weightless signs and maybe so forgets oneself so as to think oneself a god, who creates oneself out of nothing in free creative play. Or else one, again refusing responsibility, equates one's "essence" and what is creative in one with pure destructive negation. We've so many today who embody one or the other.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
RAT? Let it choke to death on that cheese.

Btw, Skinwalker shouldn't be playing games at all. THAT IS SIN! he should be reading his bible 24/7, repenting repeatedly for existing, begging forgiveness, and being in Church praying and prostrating before GOD.

That is all he should be doing. If he is gaming then he's a deceptive little cocksucking faggot bitch.

You're gonna burn in hell motherfucker. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Speaking of women loving to see gays, I know my aunt mentioned a decade or so back about a TV show called Oz or some shit. Prison show i guess. And she fawned over the gay romances. She was telling my other aunts this and the female family members were interested.

I'm like wtf, prolly like the rest of my Uncles and cousins. Maybe it was longer back in time, I dun remember.

Cleve is right, Oz is gay.
Oz - classic Wizard of Oz
Oz - Australia
Oz - prison shit.

Over the rainbow and high on meth... too gay. Fucking glad I never had cable. And i ain't googling some gay prison TV show. They're gonna prolly make an RPG out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom