Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Here's what I've come up with after thinking over this the past few days.

1) RPG Codex as a more heavily-moderated RPG site is just RPGWatch. If you want to talk about crpgs without all the icky people, just go to the Watch. That place already exists.

2) RPG Codex rebranded as a free speech site would attract even more icky people, change the culture of this place, and make it more likely to attract attention from those who would want to shut it down.

My proposal is thus: people who are mostly here to post potentially-liable things should have their GD privileges removed and/or be sent back to the moderation queue in the gaming sections. If they don't like it and don't want to change, they should, at minimum, have to send their photo alongside their photo ID to DU. Freedom isn't free. :M

It is always a good idea to show contempt for your community and then whine about getting mean responses.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Quite interesting, among those who would quit if the codex split there is not a single GRPG quality poster. There are however multiple JRPG quality posters.
Racist anime supremacy?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Quite interesting, among those who would quit if the codex split there is not a single GRPG quality poster.

This is up for debate. Please list those who said that they would quit in such circumstances, so they might be scrutinized regarding the quality they provide.

I would miss Viata and GhostCow , the rest of the people talking about quitting were your usual 75% GD folk, didn't care to remember.

Viata

Arcane
Quite interesting, among those who would quit if the codex split there is not a single GRPG quality poster.

This is up for debate. Please list those who said that they would quit in such circumstances, so they might be scrutinized regarding the quality they provide.

I would miss Viata and GhostCow , the rest of the people talking about quitting were your usual 75% GD folk, didn't care to remember.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hmmh must have confused you for someone with the same avatar or so.

I would, I said so.

But I don't post much anyway.

That would be a sizeable loss.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
5nj27b.jpg

It is kinda hard to escape that what makes the codex different from something like rpgwatch is very linked to DU's commitment to free speech. That being said, I remember that community norms used to be tighter about keeping politics to GD and RPG discussions just being candid places where you could call someone a retard if they made a retarded argument. It was a good way to keep out the riff raff in the old days.

As was discussed before, you can't keep politics out of games because games don't keep politics out of themselves.

Notice how you won't find "political" tangents in the Underrail thread because there's nothing relating to real world politics in it to begin with. But that's about the only game where that's the case. We live in an age where even Dwarf Fortess had to make itself political.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
5nj27b.jpg

It is kinda hard to escape that what makes the codex different from something like rpgwatch is very linked to DU's commitment to free speech. That being said, I remember that community norms used to be tighter about keeping politics to GD and RPG discussions just being candid places where you could call someone a retard if they made a retarded argument. It was a good way to keep out the riff raff in the old days.

I agree that anything obviously non-game related politics belongs in GD.

However, the change in the nature of the industry necessitates a discussion of some forms of politics in the gaming section as many games and gaming companies become overtly political.

It's mostly small game studios that make politics the center piece of their games, although some AAA studios are starting to be more open about their politics and who they want playing their games, and who they don't want playing their games.

The issue with moderation of politics is the leftist worldview is considered the default position by most progressives. Ie.. anything that comes from a librul point of view is natural and normal and anything against that point of view is "making things political."

If you disagree with an aspect of a game that is political, such as an hypothetical black female nazi in a first person shooter, then you are making things political and could get banned by a librul moderator just looking for an excuse. Stuff like this happens all the time in gaming forums because libruls think anytime someone disagrees with them, the opposing person is bringing politics into the issue.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

I wouldn't necessarily outright quit posting here but I would feel compelled to make my own space where I can speak more freely just because there aren't any good alternatives. zzzchan is ok but it's slow and the quality of posts are mostly low outside of gaming drama. Voat is even slower and lower quality and most of the people there think gaming is degenerate anyway. I've already found a really good domain that's available but I don't have time to put any serious thought or effort into it for a couple of weeks. I can focus more on it once this anime season ends and I beat WotR

Viata

Arcane

I wouldn't necessarily outright quit posting here but I would feel compelled to make my own space where I can speak more freely just because there aren't any good alternatives. zzzchan is ok but it's slow and the quality of posts are mostly low outside of gaming drama. Voat is even slower and lower quality and most of the people there think gaming is degenerate anyway. I've already found a really good domain that's available but I don't have time to put any serious thought or effort into it for a couple of weeks. I can focus more on it once this anime season ends and I beat WotR
I'll probably quit since the best users are shitposting in GD. Orma's discord server is already great to shitpost about rpgs, anyway.

Gerrard

Arcane
The Racial Discrimination Act 1975 forbids hate speech on several grounds. The Act makes it "unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person, or of some or all of the people in the group."[1] An aggrieved person can lodge a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission. If the complaint is validated, the Commission will attempt to conciliate the matter. If the Commission cannot negotiate an agreement which is acceptable to the complainant, the complainant's only redress is through the Federal Court or through the Federal Circuit Court.
I'm very curious how the Commission "validates" the cases of open racism towards white people?

Saduj

Arcane
“Freedom of Speech” is about being able to say things without fear of government persecution. It has nothing at all to do with whether private individuals have editorial policies relating to their private platforms. It is astounding that so many people do not understand this.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that EVERY other place that ISN'T about black people and blue hair dye has vanished off the face of the earth. And those who just want to be left alone to take the piss w/o moderation have fewer and fewer places left to do that. Not like the ratio of places with draconian moderation to true open free speech is something like 99% to 1% or anything, right? Just pure cohen-cidence that Codex has become reactionary in nature. Not like anything caused it. It just kind of happened spontaneously, amirite?

So let's assume your BS was true for a moment-- there is one place left where 'ideologues' who are NOT of a decidedly leftist / marxist / progressive bent have 'run over' a forum. So what? So a drop of solace in the ocean of woke fuckery, but you can't tolerate even a little dissent can you? That is the problem of every shitlib NPC robot everywhere. It causes your programming to short-circuit badly when people are not marching in ideological lockstep.

Any credible argument you may have had just shit the bed because you are totally and transparently paint your bias here. Anyone that doesn't support total cultural destruction and the rise of degeneracy as the norm or complete population replacement is a dumbfuck nazi, got it. Get thee back to Reddit,
post haste... p.s. Your name is the most fitting I've seen in a long time 'Lemming', truth in advertising and all that, innit?

I said that autistic ideologues force their ideology into every thread, you prove me wrong by starting a rant about "total cultural destruction and the rise of degeneracy" and "population replacement". Literally can't help yourself.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean - this used to be a site for gaming discussion with a few brainrotted IDpol-obsessed dumbfucks on the side. Nowadays it's the inverse - it's filled with people who are so deep into the terminal stage of obsession that they physically can't stop themselves from dragging their boring half-formed views into everything, and any actual discussion about gaming is a treat on the side, if you're lucky. Your culture war is tedious and your obsession with identity politics is absolutely mind-numbing. I categorically don't give a shit about "population replacement".

Once again, this site often acts as a mirror image of ResetERA, only the IDpol obsession of many Codex users is of a different flavour. Regardless, IDpol has to be inserted into all topics at all times, and anyone who either disagrees or even just points out that this crap has overtaken the site is declared a fascist nazi (if on RetardERA) or a "marxist shitlib NPC robot" (if on Codex).

The great irony is that as the world around him is changing for the worse and only a tiny tiny island of freedom remains in Codexia, he fails to look around one second and realize that he is stuck with the few hundred remaining morons who have descended into their new form of madness, caused by staring too long at the same computer screen and raging about the same things.

No, the world is not going to be taken over by the Jews and the Antichrist. A lot of parts of society have just become politically correct and this makes it necessary to be a bit more attentive of what you say in public, just like in the Soviet Union or the Middle Ages. But it is not like there isn't always a certainty that it will go away eventually and possibly swing in the opposite direction in a decade or two. We are just stuck with this shit now just as we were in a great decade during the 1990s.

The majority of us dont like it but there has never been a time where you could say absolutely everything you want and not face consequences, no less than you could not raise children and allow them to do anything they want and expect them to become decent humans. If you let children grow up doing whatever they want you end up with criminals and if you run an internet forum where everyone can talk absolutely unrestricted you end up with a bunch of lunatics raving about their final battle against the forces of Satan.

I think rpgcodex is indeed the end of the internet. a dead end from which many apparently can never return because they have become mad. If I say I don't even care and someone asked me why I even post about it, it's because rpgcodex used to be so much fun, the whole thing is so obvious and the people I am talking about so obviously and utterly retarded.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
“Freedom of Speech” is about being able to say things without fear of government persecution. It has nothing at all to do with whether private individuals have editorial policies relating to their private platforms. It is astounding that so many people do not understand this.

It's become a linked issue in modern times because governments hold individuals responsible for their moderation policies, unless they are a big company donating millions of dollars to a politician of course.

If you are a small website, they fine the fuck out of you for allowing threats because someone posted that Beyonce should die in a fire, but if you are a large company, well you get immunity because of the kafkaesque nature of how laws are written. The small company made an "editorial decision" whereas the large company is simply a "neutral platform for free-speech."

Basically, the world is on track toward techno-fascism in my estimation anyways. Big companies write the laws by donating to politicians and drafting the laws themselves. All the politicians do is vote on the shit once the check clears the bank. You may think I'm exaggerating, but really, the majority of bills that become law in the US (and probably other places) are written by private companies and think tanks.

These big corporations and think tanks have agenda's of their own, and if you are in their way, well you get shut down while they get a pass for doing the same thing. The application of laws is inherently political because there isn't time to litigate every case, so the prosecutors and government attorney's get told what is a priority to work on. If it happens to be non-woke crpg forums one month, well ur getting shut down then.

The trouble with many people, even the "non-sheeple" here is that they think a law or right is somehow protection from government woes. Philosophical ideals about Freedom of Speech aren't the issue, like "it's not the government restricting your speech, it's a private company" misses the point. The corporations ARE the government. They write the laws, they pay the politicians to pass them, and the laws force private companies to comply with their techno-fascist policies.

In that coming world, it might make sense to create a dark-web presence where you can still talk about shit, although they will probably make encryption illegal at some point too, because too many people are talking freely.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Well, we've been asking for clarification and received only silence.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

It's become a linked issue in modern times because governments hold individuals responsible for their moderation policies, unless they are a big company donating millions of dollars to a politician of course.

If you are a small website, they fine the fuck out of you for allowing threats because someone posted that Beyonce should die in a fire, but if you are a large company, well you get immunity because of the kafkaesque nature of how laws are written. The small company made an "editorial decision" whereas the large company is simply a "neutral platform for free-speech."

Basically, the world is on track toward techno-fascism in my estimation anyways. Big companies write the laws by donating to politicians and drafting the laws themselves. All the politicians do is vote on the shit once the check clears the bank. You may think I'm exaggerating, but really, the majority of bills that become law in the US (and probably other places) are written by private companies and think tanks.

These big corporations and think tanks have agenda's of their own, and if you are in their way, well you get shut down while they get a pass for doing the same thing. The application of laws is inherently political because there isn't time to litigate every case, so the prosecutors and government attorney's get told what is a priority to work on. If it happens to be non-woke crpg forums one month, well ur getting shut down then.

The trouble with many people, even the "non-sheeple" here is that they think a law or right is somehow protection from government woes. Philosophical ideals about Freedom of Speech aren't the issue, like "it's not the government restricting your speech, it's a private company" misses the point. The corporations ARE the government. They write the laws, they pay the politicians to pass them, and the laws force private companies to comply with their techno-fascist policies.

In that coming world, it might make sense to create a dark-web presence where you can still talk about shit, although they will probably make encryption illegal at some point too, because too many people are talking freely.

You can point this out over and over and over again, people have done so for at least the last decade, but it just runs off certain types like water off a duck.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I would say he isn't wrong per se, but he fails to comprehend that the coming of techno-fascism isn't the most important issue he needs to sort out in his life.

Usually such people live a lonely, sordid and miserable life fighting against things that never really happen anyway.

Black

Arcane
“Freedom of Speech” is about being able to say things without fear of government persecution.
Another retard who thinks burgerlandia's 1st amendment equals "freedom of speech". Where do you peopl keep coming from? It really is astounding.

Saduj

Arcane

I don’t disagree re: corporations owning politicians.

But I’ve never seen an incident of someone complaining about “censorship” on someone else’s platform where government pressure is a factor. The loudest complainers are usually just entitled people who ignored warnings to stop engaging in behaviors that the site owners see as disruptive to their interests.

Saduj

Arcane
“Freedom of Speech” is about being able to say things without fear of government persecution.
Another retard who thinks burgerlandia's 1st amendment equals "freedom of speech". Where do you peopl keep coming from? It really is astounding.

The idea that anyone’s freedom anywhere has anything to do with being able to say whatever one wants on someone else’s platform is inherently retarded.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

The idea that anyone’s freedom anywhere has anything to do with being able to say whatever one wants on someone else’s platform is inherently retarded.

The government decides who can have a platform to begin with.

You are still missing the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom