Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Are you going to play Torment?

Are you going to play Torment?

• Yes, this is my most anticipated game!

• Yes, I'm not a big fan, but I'm moderately interested.

• Not sure, maybe.

• No, because the latest news (console release, Codex blacklisting, HP pool etc) pissed me off.

• No, never cared about the game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Jagged Alliance 2, I'm not much of a storyfag.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
rating_agenda.png
Acknowledge this user's Agenda

I have no agenda. I love PS:T. It's number 5 on my list.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After buying the vertical slice fundraiser because hype I'm going to have to admit that I'm going to play it and probably enjoy it. No matter how silly and awful the combat is the fact of the matter is the writing is superb, for all of Fargo's shit there's finally a game that publicly acknowledges a) fully voiced is shit b) actually gives writers the resources they need to make a proper game, and c) isn't two guys in their basement. Unless of course they've front loaded the entire worth of the game into the early area to trick us with early access.

Fairfax

Arcane
Guess I'll have to use the search to find the long explanation...

The four person party is a very early design decision, made by Kevin Saunders. It may have been known already during the Kickstarter campaign, and definitely since 2013. Some people seem to have decided to get mad about it again now, because people (although actually back in 2013 almost nobody gave a fuck)
Fair enough...I guess?

And holy shit, I forgot to also mention this: there was supposed to be a entirely different system related to health bars/health pool. I only vaguely remembered it, but now it has been changed, allegedly because newer players can't understand it. So, what's up with that? Why would it turn (or contribute to) the game into shit?
Paging The Game Analists for answer

BECAUSE APPARANTLY PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE A HEALTH SYSTEM THAT'S A LITTLE FUCKING UNIQUE

SERIOUSLY, THE WAY THAT POOLS WORK IS THEY POWER YOUR ABILITIES WHILE ALSO BEING YOUR OVERALL HEALTH.

IF YOU BLOW ALL OF YOUR POINTS IN YOUR POOL TO MAKE EVERY ROLL SUCCEED YOU WILL BE FUCKED IN COMBAT, IF YOU BLOW ALL OF YOUR SHIT IN COMBAT/GET BEAT TO SHIT, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE SKILL ROLLS.

BUT APPARANTLY THAT'S TOO HARD SO INSTEAD YOU HAVE TWO RESOURCES: DICKETY FUCKING DAMAGEAMAGE AND WOOLEY WOOLY DICK FART "SUCEED AT ROLLS" MAGIC POWERS, THUSLY MAKING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM MORE COMPLICATED AND CONSEQUENCE FREE THAN IT FUCKING NEEDS TO BE. THANKS A LOT INXILE I ONLY PUT 300 DOLLARS INTO THE FUCKING KICKSTARTER FOR YOU TO SHIT
IN
MY
MOUTH

ALSO EXPERIENCE POINTS ARE FUCKING NEEDLESSLY COMPLEX BECAUSE GAMERS APPARANTLY NEED TO BE TOLD THEY'RE GETTING LOTS AND LOTS OF XP AT ALL FUCKING TIMES SO YOU GET THIS SITUATION WHERE YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE POINTS TO UNLOCK AN UPGRADE NODE ON YOUR LITTLE CHARACTER SHEET IN GAME. REMEMBER HOW, IN VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES YOU WOULD GET 1, 2, 3 XPS HERE AND THERE? AND YOU'D SAVE UP A BUNCH TO BUY STUFF ON YOUR SHEET? WELL SHIT SON, THAT'S A REALLY OUTDATED AND CONFUSING MECHANIC. SO INSTEAD, WHEN YOU COMPLETE A BUNCH OF CONTENT, YOU GET "EXPERIENCE POINTS" AND THEN YOU UNLOCK A DOT ON YOUR SHEET. THAT'S HOW IT WORKS NOW, THEY LITERALLY CHANGED IT FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN TO BE ABLE TO CONSTANTLY PAT YOU ON THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING BACK AND GO "GOOD LITTLE RETARD YOU GOT ANOTHER 25 EXPERIENCE POINTS!!! GOOD JOB RETARD!!!!"

I'm SERIOUSLY going to fucking HAVE A FUCKING SIEZURE over this fucking FUCKING game please stop stop stop claling me into et5heads about it...

Worth it. :lol::lol::lol:

tindrli

Arcane
i just don't know what to say now.. didn't know about those changes.. ill probably play it and uninstall it after some time...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's a huge downgrade, that health system thing. Making you chose between succeeding at rolls and combat HP is a really interesting dichotomy and one of the few ways to make dialogue gameplay relevant.

Yeah, not buying a console for this release.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
My interest in Torment 2 was sunk when they opted for a system with chance based dialogue checks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What, really? Man, you can tell I didn't follow this game. Did they really do that? That seems counter-intuitive for a dialogue focused game... you can just reload if your check is at 50%... unless you save a random seed to prevent savescumming. But if you do, then you might as well not make it percentage based!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Finding time for playing the newest ADOM version in Dosbox (so I can get the fullscreen 4:3 ASCII glory as God intended) is my priority. But yes, why not, Torment 2 should also be fun.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There's still new ADOM versions? Geez, why don't we have a news section!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is no chance for me to miss a dialog-heavy, turn-based RPG. Especially one that has "Torment" in the name.
And I think it'll be good, maybe not as much as we'd like but still..

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We should have a weekly "in other news" feature that summarizes various smaller news items.

Prime Junta

I'll definitely play it, it's gonna be a good game. I don't think it'll live up to PS:T but then what does?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I already played through to the beta and want to know how the story continues. So yeah, I will play it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes. But in the meantime it switched from my most anticipated game into "Well I already paid for it so I might as well try it.".. but I thought the same for WL2 and I was never able to do more than 1/6 of that game.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
WL 2 is big game. Too big for its own good. Numenera will be a bit more manageable, I think. Smaller areas, with way more text. I finished the Beta in 12 hours with every side-quest, so I will be trough the maingame in 30-35 hours.

Saduj

Arcane
My interest in Torment 2 was sunk when they opted for a system with chance based dialogue checks.

What is this "chance based dialogue checks" you speak of?

Are player options on what to say affected by chance? Or NPC reactions to play speech affected by chance? Or both?

I donated 100 bucks for this shit, and half of them was through PayPal, so it'll be tough to refund it. So yeah, probably will play it. But as to back, or even buy another InExile project — that's another story. Even if they put Ziets on cover and give him a personal project I'll be skeptical, without him - fuck InExile.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It was this year when I learned it wasn't set in the Planescape universe, but some sort of futuristic sci-fi setting. That's when I lost complete interest in it, especially after I finished PS:T and loved the atmosphere and lore of its world.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
can someone explain the health pool system too me? why the casuals hate it?

The original health pool system is you get hit the points come out of strength/speed/intellect. In the tabletop different attacks hit the strength/speed/intellect pools at different times, in the demo pretty much everything hit strength that I could remember.

The system was such that you were using strength to improve your rolls, and as HP, and people are dumbfucks who couldn't manage that system. So they would go into combat, spend all their strength, and then have their strength hit zero.

Prime Junta

can someone explain the health pool system too me? why the casuals hate it?

In the Cypher system, only mooks have health. PC's have speed, might, and intellect pools. These pools are used to power your abilities and Effort, and damage also comes out of them.

I got the impression that the problem wasn't so much that casuals hate the system, but that the game designers found it too hard to balance.

Edit: Urthor different attacks do hit different pools, but in tabletop also "normal" combat hits Might only. "Normal" combat is also dull as fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom