Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I ve deleted my 45hours of progress from Valhalla last year playthrough and starting again from scratch. What an excellent game it is.

Whatever floats your boat, man. I would not be able to replay an AC game but for one run they're ok for sightseeing and historical tourism. Yes, I know their vision of history is ridiculously woke, but I loved the recreations of Athens or Alexandria in the previous two installments.

Curratum

I wish I could play Egypt and Greece, but the system requirements are a big fat lie and the game struggles to hold even 30 fps in dense areas, even though it's fine in the wild.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wish I could play Egypt and Greece, but the system requirements are a big fat lie and the game struggles to hold even 30 fps in dense areas, even though it's fine in the wild.

Even on slower PCs you can get a serious improvement if you install game on SSD. That's how I managed to run Kingdom Come: Deliverance on max settings on a PC from 2015/6. Maybe it will help Assassin's Creed too.

Anyway I don't remember serious framrate drops in Origins. However in Odyssey it became a problem in bigger cities so SSD might help.

Larianshill

Arbiter
t2XaPwA.png

Crossover???

Zeriel

Arcane
I ve deleted my 45hours of progress from Valhalla last year playthrough and starting again from scratch. What an excellent game it is.

Whatever floats your boat, man. I would not be able to replay an AC game but for one run they're ok for sightseeing and historical tourism. Yes, I know their vision of history is ridiculously woke, but I loved the recreations of Athens or Alexandria in the previous two installments.

Visually, it's fun. If you pay attention to what's going on, your brain will leak out your ear. It makes me feel bad for all the effort that goes into the presentation and design of the worlds, only to be let down and ruined by the writing department.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It's not a recreation, it's a reimagination. The historicity of AC games is garbage-tier. It's just an artist's impression. Nothing more.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not a recreation, it's a reimagination. The historicity of AC games is garbage-tier. It's just an artist's impression. Nothing more.
when we had the creativity, we didn't have the technology
now that we have the technology, we don't have the creativity
living is cruel
:negative:

Lack of technology inspired the creativity. Take the limitationspill, bro.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
living is cruel

Just wait until AI starts being injected into all media creation.

The media apocalypse is only a matter of time.

Zeriel

Arcane
living is cruel

It will just be a mark of low quality productions. Like how "generic 3D unity" stain is nowadays.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
living is cruel

It will just be a mark of low quality productions. Like how "generic 3D unity" stain is nowadays.
People think that AI-assisted technology will be easily detectable. It won't. As soon as it becomes useful enough, it'll be injected into nearly every aspect of media creation.

It allow fewer people to do more, faster. We will be inundated with so much low quality content it will make when Steam opened the floodgates a fond memory. Especially with how many people (looking at you, zoomers) want to be "content creators."

What I hope is that it will enable some independents to make great pieces of art, whether in games or otherwise.

But yeah that tidal wave of trash is coming.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
counterargument: the overall quality of games will be higher with AI compared to chinese shovelware garbage, not lower
Quality is a highly subjective element that depends more on the competency of the developers, not the usefulness of their tools. Don't forget, marketing is one aspect that is most targeted for AI tech.

But yes, we'll probably see a "rising tide lifts all boats" sort of phenomenon. Don't let how critical I sound make you think I'm not excited, I am. It's an... interesting time to live in.

Modron

Arcane
Steam on December 6th:

160 gbs, the fuck? Had to check but the previous game only clocked in at 46. Did not compress all the audio in an attempt to hinder piracy? Bet it won't be more than half off on launch despite them routinely selling it for 67% off in a variety of storefronts even up to a week or two ago.

Steam on December 6th:

Dec 6th? These bitches are trying to steal Dwarf Fortress' thunder!

Visually, it's fun. If you pay attention to what's going on, your brain will leak out your ear. It makes me feel bad for all the effort that goes into the presentation and design of the worlds, only to be let down and ruined by the writing department.

Yeah, exactly! I am playing Assassin's Creed Origins now (put a bunch of time into Odyssey a couple of years back also), and while these games are visually beautiful, and the settings are really cool, the gameplay and writing are absolute shit tier, and it's only a matter of time before you feel like you are wasting your life playing this shit. The gameplay is like 80-90% checklist stuff, clear this fort, check, find that item, check, kill this animal, check. The other 10-20% are actual quests, and those are really badly written and characterized, and doing them requires the player to do the same exact shit as the checklist stuff, clear this fort, assassinate this guy in the fort, etc.

As most of you know (or should by now), I hate Bethesda open world games, considering them to be shallow boring crap, but Ubisoft games are even worse, they are just so soulless and mass produced, they do feel like they were made by an AI already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom