Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To be torn out of that into a meta-plot at random, is a fundamental game design flaw.

That's what most people have always been crying about but being torn out of history into the metaplot didn't bother me in the first two or three games. I was looking fwd to it, trying to figure out the meta was interesting and it served as an enticing cliffhanger between sequels.

Problem is they p. much resolved and explained everything in what, AC3? Who are the gods, what they did and what are they trying to do. And we haven't learned anything remotely important or interesting for the next 7 games. In AC4 the metaplot became an incoherent, scrambled nonsense and now there isn't a single gaymer in the world giving a flying fuck about it anymore.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
That's what most people have always been crying about but being torn out of history into the metaplot didn't bother me in the first two or three games. I was looking fwd to it, trying to figure out the meta was interesting and it served as an enticing cliffhanger between sequels.

Problem is they p. much resolved and explained everything in what, AC3? Who are the gods, what they did and what are they trying to do. And we haven't learned anything remotely important or interesting for the next 7 games. In AC4 the metaplot became an incoherent, scrambled nonsense and now there isn't a single gaymer in the world giving a flying fuck about it anymore.

I agree with all this, the meta plot had a purpose and novelty in the first games, but since AC4 it's been completely pointless.

The AC games are now fantasy action RPGs set in historical times, they really don't need the "meta plot" any more. But Ubi's gonna Ubi and for some reason the biggest fans of the meta plot are the danger hairs and other assorted mental cases. Somehow the meta plot appeals to them.

Zeriel

Arcane
It appeals to them because it lets them do what they want to do: lecture about the politics of modern day life. Even they can't (yet) justify inserting characters with blue hair and gender pronouns in medieval england, so they need the metaplot to accomplish that.

ADL

Prophet

I agree with all this, the meta plot had a purpose and novelty in the first games, but since AC4 it's been completely pointless.

The AC games are now fantasy action RPGs set in historical times, they really don't need the "meta plot" any more. But Ubi's gonna Ubi and for some reason the biggest fans of the meta plot are the danger hairs and other assorted mental cases. Somehow the meta plot appeals to them.
I'm interested where the Abstergo plot is going now that
Desmond is back as part of some sort of AI singularity thing

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The current-year female multicultural POC "protagonist" of the meta plot has nothing to do with that. It would be as stupid and as redundant with that insufferable twat Desmond.
Wait, Desmond isn't the main character anymore? Why? (haven't played a game in the series for like a decade, lol)

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
EBLAMSB.jpg

Jesus, this is horrible. No wonder so many people complain about the metaplot these days.

Edit: thanks, Infini.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Wait, Desmond isn't the main character anymore? Why? (haven't played a game in the series for like a decade, lol)

Yes, good 'ol Desmond has been dead since AC3, and since then there's been a cavalcade of different "protagonists". Right now, it's a strong independent woman of color.

I'm interested where the Abstergo plot is going now that

The plot is going nowhere. Mark my word.

btw, you don't happen to be an SJW, atheist, have nose piercings or danger hair?

Tyrr

Liturgist
The devs got so butthurt over being forced by the management to add a male choice in AC:O (and more players played as male), that they made the female choice "cannon" in later games.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The "meta-plot" is completely incomprehensible without referring to the game's wiki, easier to just pretend it doesn't exist.

Just look at basically anything involving Juno.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
But no, it turns out Cassandra was the canon character, meaning this is really how it was intended. She would castrate that faggot accidentally by sneezing in his general direction for fuck's sake.

Actually, you're giving Ubi more credit than they deserve.

The romance plot you describe is in a DLC, which was developed by another team entirely parallel to the main game, and they had no idea that Cassandra was the "canon" character.

That DLC was so bad, it's better to just ignore it. The main game is more than enough and that particular DLC story is really awkward and rape-y somehow.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
These noobs missed the chance to make a game in ancient Rome during Caesar vs Pompey civil war. It would have been a great fucking setting. Roman legionaire by day and assassin by night.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
These noobs missed the chance to make a game in ancient Rome during Caesar vs Pompey civil war. It would have been a great fucking setting. Roman legionaire by day and assassin by night.
And where's the space for stunningbrave minorities in that white toxic male environment?

Nah, the next AC is set on the Yale campus, you play a 200kilo queer assassin fighting Trump's fascist regime.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
No, it's albatross because it serves no purpose anymore and only distracts from the main strength of the games today, i.e. that they are open world fantasy RPGs set in historical times. To be torn out of that into a meta-plot at random, is a fundamental game design flaw.
You haven't fully excavated the albatross here, it goes much further than that. I'm going to say that Ubisoft are worse than Bethesda when it comes to open world games. Currently I'm playing through Assassin's Creed Unity and all the faults of this series are unbearably present in this game. Graphically it is still, a game from 2014, a stunning game. The parkour is slick, the map is huge. There is trouble in paradise however, and like a pink elephant dressed up as a snake it can't be ignored for long. Not only does the metaplot detract, but the idea that it must follow the same airport novella story from the earlier Assassin's Creed games is the biggest detraction.

The art direction is impeccable, the environmental artists did a great job with Paris, and that all crumbles when you get your awful getup with a hoodie. The setting doesn't matter that much, it can be anywhere, you still got your smoke bombs, retractable hand daggers and things work more or less as they always have, albeit watered down. This is the hardest game in the series because you might get sniped by a musket from nowhere if you engage in combat without surveying the situation. Other than that there is nothing that makes you feel like you're in Paris during the revolution. The problem is that it is tied down by the series it is in, it can't embrace the period since the Assassin's Creed title means it must be about potheads versus squares. There must be some goofy ass science fiction bullshit in there. You have to have this ridiculous framing plot that you wish wasn't there.

The same is true of Odyssey, they wanted to make a game about Greece, but everything that comes with being an entry in this game series brought it down a notch from what could have been a semi-decent game. Did that game really need a metaplot or have the Greek deities be ancient aliens? Did the parkour even add that much to the game? After Origins they gave up on having it be a sensible system where you can only climb things that seem climbable and just let you climb anything. Valhalla is the latest entry and this albatross won't go away, why does a viking game have to be about Arabian pot smokers and ancient aliens? Does the parkour even make any sense in a game about raiding England?

Then there is the issue of Ubisoft being the unsung heroes of asset flipping. If you play the AS titles where they wanted to get away from the assassinations and explore Seadogs territory you will find the same parkour-friendly tree assets as in Unity. If you play Watchdogs Legion you will find the same house roofs in England as in revolutionary France. After finishing Origins you have in essence already played Odyssey and Valhalla. Even within a single Ubisoft game you have already seen everything after finishing the first area zone. Their worlds are large but shallow as a puddle, static and lacks any kind of dynamism. Nothing is done well, it is always quantity over quality. Copy pasted missions spread over the map like a cluster mine load.

Unlike in The Witcher 3 there is no writing department that can carry this experience. There is no simulationist fun to be had like in Bethesda games. Their Batman Arkham Asylum combat system is sleep inducing. The more shit they shovel in there, the worse it all gets. People praised the salty sea adventures in Black Flag, but even a small AA game like Raven's Cry offers a better and deeper experience at sea. Tiny devs like Frogwares are now creating better big open world locations than Ubisoft. The best part of Unity is the murder mysteries, but since they are a zero effort side activity in a game filled with filler they can't live up to their potential.

It is a shame that the Ubisoft formula is shit and that they can't seem to escape the ridiculous premise of their cash cow because somewhere in the bowels of that company there must be talented developers. Ancient Greece is a very cool and underused setting, yet it could have been England, France or Egypt just as well, it was wasted on Odyssey. Unity is the same, you can climb the Notre-Dame de Paris and pretend to be Quasimodo, you can walk Paris' streets at night in rain and hear period songs of the revolution coming from a pub, but at the end of the day you're stuck with the same basic mechanics as a game from 2007, only diluted and dumbed down. With a plot that takes you out of it all and a metaplot to pull you out of the period even more, not that the writing makes a convincing job even when you are left alone for a bit.

It would have been just the same as any other AS game, Caesar is some Templar and wants some magic ancient alien device. Same dull combat, same side activities that get old after you've done them twice or trice. Same loot-a-ton, same useless fake RPG systems to give you a sense of progression that would otherwise have been absent due to the open world nature of the game when the combat or stealth doesn't evolve past the first few missions and you're expected to play the game for 80 hours.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
rusty_shackleford The TL;DR is that they should have moved on from this retarded Prince of Persia spinoff after the first game and that the legacy of the first game is pulling everything down more than a decade later.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
You haven't fully excavated the albatross here, it goes much further than that. I'm going to say that Ubisoft are worse than Bethesda when it comes to open world games. Currently I'm playing through Assassin's Creed Unity and all the faults of this series are unbearably present in this game. Graphically it is still, a game from 2014, a stunning game. The parkour is slick, the map is huge. There is trouble in paradise however, and like a pink elephant dressed up as a snake it can't be ignored for long. Not only does the metaplot detract, but the idea that it must follow the same airport novella story from the earlier Assassin's Creed games is the biggest detraction.

The art direction is impeccable, the environmental artists did a great job with Paris, and that all crumbles when you get your awful getup with a hoodie. The setting doesn't matter that much, it can be anywhere, you still got your smoke bombs, retractable hand daggers and things work more or less as they always have, albeit watered down. This is the hardest game in the series because you might get sniped by a musket from nowhere if you engage in combat without surveying the situation. Other than that there is nothing that makes you feel like you're in Paris during the revolution. The problem is that it is tied down by the series it is in, it can't embrace the period since the Assassin's Creed title means it must be about potheads versus squares. There must be some goofy ass science fiction bullshit in there. You have to have this ridiculous framing plot that you wish wasn't there.

The same is true of Odyssey, they wanted to make a game about Greece, but everything that comes with being an entry in this game series brought it down a notch from what could have been a semi-decent game. Did that game really need a metaplot or have the Greek deities be ancient aliens? Did the parkour even add that much to the game? After Origins they gave up on having it be a sensible system where you can only climb things that seem climbable and just let you climb anything. Valhalla is the latest entry and this albatross won't go away, why does a viking game have to be about Arabian pot smokers and ancient aliens? Does the parkour even make any sense in a game about raiding England?

This is the albatross, yes* — and it really constricts the creative design space of each subsequent game. Though Odyssey had a few things working for it, which made the albatross perhaps lighter than ever.

0. The meta-plot was lighter than ever before
1. No penis blades and no hoodie.
2. No Assassins and no Templars
3. Excellently written side-quests
4. A believable fantasy Ancient Greece
5. You're not an assassin, you're a mercenary

These things helped a lot, helped me realize that underneath the garbage meta plot, there was a game wanting to break free! Imagine a franchise of open world low fantasy RPGs that happened in historical or literary times. Imagine the massive possibilities and fun that developers and players could have with such a franchise.

The way mythology and history can be mixed with fantasy and RPG tropes, it is screaming to be made — but the albatross was still too heavy. I have yet to play Valhalla, but it seems like a regression into albatross territory.

*the asset flip I can forgive, I don't play enough Ubi games to notice

Greek Anime God

Scholar
This is the albatross, yes* — and it really constricts the creative design space of each subsequent game. Though Odyssey had a few things working for it, which made the albatross perhaps lighter than ever.

0. The meta-plot was lighter than ever before
1. No penis blades and no hoodie.
2. No Assassins and no Templars
3. Excellently written side-quests
4. A believable fantasy Ancient Greece
5. You're not an assassin, you're a mercenary
Exactly, everything that was good about Odyssey was how little it resembled Assassin's Creed. If only they could have gone all the way and made a new game. When you ask people online about it they also seem to hate the DLC which doubled down on the AS plot.
These things helped a lot, helped me realize that underneath the garbage meta plot, there was a game wanting to break free! Imagine a franchise of open world low fantasy RPGs that happened in historical or literary times. Imagine the massive possibilities and fun that developers and players could have with such a franchise.

The way mythology and history can be mixed with fantasy and RPG tropes, it is screaming to be made — but the albatross was still too heavy. I have yet to play Valhalla, but it seems like a regression into albatross territory.
This is what players seem to clamor for, but is also a financial risk that Ubisoft doesn't seem to want to take. The brand sells. So much that Valhalla brought back the hoodies, despite the series being revived thanks to the change in direction in the first place.
*the asset flip I can forgive, I don't play enough Ubi games to notice
It's not something I mind that much, it's just an example of something they get wrong with their model and process. Does it detract from the experience that the same rooftops can be found in many of their games, or that Odyssey reuses assets from Origins? No, but when too much of the game feels like that then the backdrop matters less and less until you get to a point where it feels the same to scout out an area with a bird in AS as it does with a drone in Watchdogs. It becomes a part of the albatross, that systems and assets whether suitable or not have to be reused.

In an ideal world they would rip out all the things you listed and start a new series based on just what you described, historical AAA RPGs with mythical parts to them, no meta, no assassins, less bad writing. Because the promise and potential there is huge. Just imagine what Unity could have been if it actually took advantage of the time period for the storytelling. Or how much better Odyssey would have been if it just had taken those last few steps and become its own IP. Ubisoft learned a lot from The Witcher 3 but they built their new games on a stale frame of an IP. What we are likely to see instead of that is this devolving back into Unity style games, since the missions are cheap and easy to create and they want to switch to the game as a service model, where you drip feed players content and that will inevitably lead to more regression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom