Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asterigos - Classical Age ARPG from Taiwan

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1731070/view/3368143418774790520

The Creatures of Asterigos: Eulalia the Prayee
Familiarise yourself with the bestiary of Asterigos: Curse of the Stars in our series of blogs.
7fbe0d328fef2d3e1d84b1d033368ece9fbfc3c5.png

Forewarned is forearmed!

In this first instalment of our series of blogs dedicated to the bestiary of Asterigos: Curse of the Stars, we’d like to introduce you to one of the main adversaries that Hilda will have to confront:
Eulalia, the Prayee.

Watch the new Trailer

Know your enemy
Famous for her beautiful voice, Eulalia used to be the most recognized singer during Aphes’ glorious golden age. But, like so many others, she would fall victim to the curse that spread across the city a thousand years ago.

The famine brought on by the Asterigos changed her into something else. She turned to an evil cult, the Ethrus, and dedicated herself to it, becoming a symbol by using her reputation and voice to lure more people to join the cult.

EunmOjR.png

Battle phases
Eulalia uses ranged attacks like voice shock blasts, feather blades, and cyclones. Occasionally she will also descend to the ground to fight Hilda herself using dangerous claw and wing melee strikes.

After some back and forth fights, Eulalia would fly to the sky and use her voice and feather blades to attack Hilda again, and this time, she even calls upon several harpy minions to assist her. During this phase, Hilda must fight the minions while watching out for Eulalia's deadly attacks from above.

K4U5H2z.gif

Once Hilda has dealt with the minions, Eulalia will land again, and this time with despair as she will cause feather storms to swoop around the amphitheatre. This is when the battle culminates – the feather storms will continually fire sharp blades as Hilda cautiously counters Eulalia's onslaught in close combat.

In the end, only the strongest will survive.

CfGZniJ.jpg

We hope you enjoy this preview, and we can’t wait to share more about the world of Asterigos with you.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They've done a good job with the teaser material. I'll probably play the shit out of this game.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Does the CE of this game come with some semiconductors?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Making of the ‘Nostalgia’ Theme Song
The Save and Sound Game Music Festival is in full swing and today we’re excited to show and tell you a bit more about the creation of one of the main songs of Asterigos: Curse of the Stars called ‘Nostalgia’.

Join the composer, WeiFan Chang, and the lyricist of the song, Yun Nung Yan, in our new video as they take you behind the scenes of the creative process and the recording session of ‘Nostalgia’.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1731070/view/3388414055894140522
Building the City of Aphes
Asterigos: Curse of The Stars takes place in and around the majestic city of Aphes. During your journey, you will have to face the myriad of dangers that lurk in the streets and alleys of this legendary ancient city and unravel its mysteries.

Today we would like to tell you more about how we created this majestic architectural marvel.

The city's history
NX3NMbE.png

The City of Aphes is the ancient fabled city of stars. Favoured with divine grace of the gods, it sat at the financial and political apex of the entire world… only to crumble in one night due to a single curse.

For more than a thousand years, many intrepid adventurers and thieves tried their way into Aphes, but none had returned. There were rumours of gigantic man-eaters, terrifying evils, abandoned fortunes, and great, forgotten powers which had yet to be claimed.

Designing the City of Aphes
Since Hilda, the protagonist, comes from a medieval-fantasy world, we wanted to create the best ancient city that matched the spirit of adventure and at the same time had great potential in terms of history, culture and story.

We believe that Ancient Rome and classical Greece are fascinating sources in which we can find both influence and inspiration. Myths, philosophy, systems and history are so rich that the more we delve into them, the more our imagination runs wild with images and ideas.

It has taken some time to put it all together into a coherent image. However, we also wanted to bring something of our own into the mix, so we created magical minerals for the city - Starite.

Rnvi48G.png

The Aphesians are adepts of magic using starite. They use it to enhance their lives and create many wonders, including arming their mighty legion.

To ensure that the visuals matched our imagination, it was important for us to use buildings made of marble, traditional columns, carvings and statues. But on top of that, we wanted to make the world a bit different from what players would expect from a setting like this. That's why colours play another important role and they have to match the aesthetic of the game we wanted to create - a more lively, colourful and an animated look.

In the example below you can see how we created the scene step by step.

XorrFZG.gif

And so the mysterious and powerful city of Aphes was born, with its architecture and culture inspired by two legendary ancient civilisations and a pinch of magic and wonder.

The surroundings and streets of The City of Aphes
The story begins on the outskirts of the city, in Outerrim. It is a magical forest inhabited by dangerous beasts and monsters.

[i.imgur.com]
Click to enlarge the image

Once you enter the town through the aqueduct, which is next to the sealed city gates, you enter Arges Bazaar and the streets where most of the cursed citizens live. But Arges Bazaar has been occupied by a cult that claims to be able to free people from the curse, using even more evil and twisted magic.

[i.imgur.com]

Next to Arges Bazaar is the Phalan Academy, the military base of the Aphes Legion, and Arges Plaza, an area of nobility in Aphes. These places still retain their former glory and grandeur.

[i.imgur.com]

Of course, in addition to the central squares and royal districts, you'll also find slum areas where the poor live, or mines where most of Aphes' magical mineral starites are mined. These areas are controlled by bandits. In addition to that, the city has the Acropolis area, a holy place where temples and shrines are located.

The Shelter
The place Hilda gets to after the first introductory zone is The Shelter. It is the main quest hub of the entire game, and this is where the real adventure begins.

The Shelter is the base of the Adherents, a group of noble Aphesians who have sworn to save the city from the Curse of the Stars. They have been dedicating themselves to this ideal for many hundred years. But never before have they been so close to their goal, as Hilda will play an important role in their campaign, while also carrying out her mission to find her lost father.

[i.imgur.com]

Shelter offers Hilda a place where she can return and feel completely safe. Here you can take new quests from the Adherents, make use of the document archives, the vaults, talk to the blacksmiths, visit the shops and even find a sparring partner if you need training! There's plenty to do in the Shelter, and as you progress through the game you'll discover more opportunities.

The Shelter is also a central hub that connects to several major areas of the city. We want players to have a sense of 'universal connection' as they explore it. So it's not a place where you teleport or load in and out, but a place where the real exploration of the city begins.

Dangers around every corner
We think it's important that the enemies match the terrain and the areas they inhabit. We want players to have an immersive experience as they go through their adventure in Aphes.

For example, the cultists of Ethrus and their sublimated followers can only be seen in the streets of Arges Bazaar, as the story has the area abandoned by the Aphes Legion and occupied by cultists. The cultists' minds are perverted by the teachings of their priests, and they prefer to ambush any intruder, hiding in corners when the streets are shrouded in thick fog.

[i.imgur.com]

The Phalan Academy, on the other hand, is a stronghold of the mighty Aphes Legion, so the military town is guarded by brave soldiers, decurions and trained beasts such as battle lions, led by a centurion. They are well trained, disciplined, loyal, and willing to give their lives to protect the last intact civilians not only from cultists, but also from bandits, monsters, and any strangers.

[i.imgur.com]

The city of Aphes has many enemies and factions, each with unique abilities and behaviours. Get ready for a wild ride!

When we built the city of Aphes, we wanted it to look like a "real city" that players could immerse themselves in. Therefore, to prevent further spoilers for the game, we just want to remind you to pay more attention to details and explore every corner of Aphes, as you may discover wonders and surprises all around!

[i.imgur.com]

We hope you've enjoyed this little dip into the history of Aphes' creation and we can't wait for you to enter the city!

Suicidal

Arcane
Wanted to try the demo in order to liven up the discussion of this game cause it seems like it could be decent but unfortunately it won't run on my old piece of shit. Oh well.

Jinn

Arcane
Wanted to try the demo in order to liven up the discussion of this game cause it seems like it could be decent but unfortunately it won't run on my old piece of shit. Oh well.

Damn, you can run Nioh 1 and 2, but not this? Kind of crazy.

Well, I'll give the demo a go and report back if there's anything worth talking about.

Suicidal

Arcane

Damn, you can run Nioh 1 and 2, but not this? Kind of crazy.

Well, I'll give the demo a go and report back if there's anything worth talking about.

Nioh 1 and 2 were at least popular enough for people to be suggesting fixes to run the game on sub minimal requirements PCs. This game's steam forum is like 10 threads. I tried googling for similar errors but found nothing useful. When I launch it I just get a UE4 crash window after all the logo screens.

Jinn

Arcane
Nioh 1 and 2 were at least popular enough for people to be suggesting fixes to run the game on sub minimal requirements PCs. This game's steam forum is like 10 threads. I tried googling for similar errors but found nothing useful. When I launch it I just get a UE4 crash window after all the logo screens.

Definitely very sorry to hear that. Especially since it's one of the most polished Taiwanese games I've ever played, to a surprising degree actually.

So I finished the demo after about an hour on the hardest difficulty feeling charmed, curious, and overall wanting more. Going into it, I didn't expect to be ending the demo with it having left such a strong impression on me, but it managed to shatter my expectations while rearranging the concept of what the game actually is in my head.

I would say it's less of a straight-up souls-like, and more of a strange hybrid. I left the demo thinking "this reminds me almost of a metroidvania of Hollow Knight's caliber, but 3D and without the platforming." Now, to make this more clear, I'd say that the character and equipment progression in particular remind me of a high quality metroidvania, whereas the level design and action remind me more of Nioh and Dark Souls. Now if the the small opening area is any indication of where they'll be going on a larger scale with the exploration and level design, then I think I have a lot to look forward to.

I died I think 4 times total on the hardest difficulty, and found that there was at least a decent amount of challenge to be found here. There was a mini-boss and a boss proper, which were both pretty fun and well-tuned fights. I died once at the mini-boss, twice at the boss proper, and once stupidly in a fight with some minor enemies while exploring.

I could go much more into depth here with how the different weapons work, how it seems like there's a large amount of possibility for creating some great combos between your two equipped weapon types and the special skills you can learn, and how the combat feels in general, but I'd urge anyone interested to just give the demo a try and play around with it a bit. Above all, keep an open mind as to what the game actually is, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. As for me, I think the demo has sold me and I wish I had actually played it closer to October 11th so I didn't have to wait so long. Now I'm just hoping they've managed to craft a solid 25-30 hour campaign with tons to explore.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1731070/view/3386166695436348252
The update for the demo is now Live!
45c748b659e812e3c3e44ddd9303e30235a8bbda.png

Hello everyone!

First of all we’d like to say thank you for all the feedback and suggestions you provided us . This has been extremely helpful as we continue to work hard on improving the gaming experience for you.

Now let’s jump into the list of changes we have applied to the demo!

The Controls
We hope to improve the “stiffness” and bring you an overall more enjoyable experience
  • We've refined Hilda's actions and controls - she can now switch to sprint/dash state in a timely manner, and all her evasive actions will be properly executed if you have enough stamina points.
  • The stamina points will also now regenerate at a faster rate.
  • Hilda can now recover quicker from being knocked down, reducing the uncomfortable feeling during the lost control of the character.
The Techniques of Weapons
You can now familiarise yourself with the special techniques of each weapon in the weapons interface. We hope this will help you understand the special features of each weapon and what they are useful for!

e4c26512d4c6fc16c6c7127f37ae763e5bc90162.jpg

Input Mapping and Keybinding
We heard you! We have immediately jumped into the development of this feature. It will take some time, but we promise it will be delivered to your hands in the near future. We understand your needs and what most players are used to, so we've changed the default gamepad input to the following:

4081a9aebd9c42b97b8db83c6a4f908359bf286f.jpg

We've added another option so that you can link the 'sprint / dash' action to the left-hand joystick, as well as three more presets for you to choose from!

Resolution and Fullscreen
You can now run the game in full screen mode, and the resolution will scale according to the resolution you choose, which should apply to most ultra wide screens too! Please share your feedback with us if you encounter any issues.

Bion, Vanguard of the Adherents
Some of you may know him. Some of you may not. But he's back again! We realise that putting an invincible boss at the end of the demo is not the best solution. So in this case, we purposely added a checkpoint before the fight, polished up the encounter and made him defeatable in the demo so you can challenge him without too much trouble.

Horn your skills and prepare to engage the Vanguard of the Adherents!
d5eb6ac63847775aeb6768fb12cd07787cd386d7.png

Save files
The game save data is now relocated to the following folder: [USER]/Saved Games/AcmeGs/AsterigosDEMO

And there’s more!
Bug fixes, camera optimization, enemy hitbox improvement, UI polishing, and more! We deeply appreciate your time and we hope you enjoy playing our game!

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the demo on Steam Deck a few days ago and it was neat game though a little heavy for it (if i didn't want to disable too much stuff - i don't mind lowering shadow resolution, etc, but some options actually disabled shadows that made the game look much brighter). It is also released on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom