Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atomic Heart - open world first-person shooter set in an alternate universe Soviet Union

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I REALLY LICKED THIS GAME

THE COMBAT WAS GREAT MELEE WAS BETTER IN FPS THAN MOST OTHER GAMES

THE RESPAWNING OUTDOOR ENEMIES WERE A PAIN IN THE ASS BECAUSE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE A PAIN IN THE ASS

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
I have played the game for few hours. Except for a few bugs, this game is worth checking and better than Witcher 3

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
It's really quite good considering today's standards.
But the story/theme/atmosphere are quite unique, imo in a good way, but I can see where people who don't like it are coming from as well. The game is really weird.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Finished it today and it is pure incline, my boy!

The combat is really well done, I especially liked how the various sprouts interacting with other organics change their hosts behavior. The weapons and powers are cool and allow for a lot of different combos. I guess one weak point is for the the various melee weapons which feel all obsolote when compared Zvezdochka. The upgrade system kept the game fun and interesting all the way to the end for me as I could just constantly experiment with my arsenal.

The worldbuilding is absolutely amazing with the highlight being the genius way in which they integrated the puzzles into it. I can't say I liked the english VA too much, getting some actors that can do english with russian accents would have been way more suited but whatever, it's not a big issue. The story is excellent and while the twists in it have been done to death already, it's all delivered very well and it managed to keep me interested and engaged.

There's really not much more I could ask from a game like this. Maybe more enemy types? Maybe a bit of stealth? Maybe a bit of variety in how you can approach objectives in the open world portion? I dunno, none of these feel like would benefit the game - sometimes less is more and all that. The DLC has such a weak premise that I'm not going to play it but I am looking forward to the next game from these guys.

10/10

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found it boring and quit half way. Outdoor levels were just a pain and indoor levels all became same after a while. Jokes also became stale fast.
Hopefully Stalker 2 is better than this.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Outdoors what I did was parkour to the camera rooms, open whatever needed to be opened via telekinesis, then parkour to the power room and overload the system. That gives you about 3-4 minutes of no enemies in the area.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Outdoors what I did was parkour to the camera rooms, open whatever needed to be opened via telekinesis, then parkour to the power room and overload the system. That gives you about 3-4 minutes of no enemies in the area.
3-4 minutes is still way too short. If it gave you 30 to 40 minutes of no respawns I might do it. I hate games with respawning enemies. This is not first FPS I quit because of that shit. My first FPS was Wolfenstein and Doom, there was no respawn shit there.
If people want to suffer bad design that is their choice.

Last edited:

sebas

Scholar
Patron
I'm not arguing you, I don't enjoy respawning enemies even when it leads to EXP grind let alone in a shooter. But I can see why they did it: to make sure you never run out of resources and to have packs of mobs to try out your new arsenal whenever you want. None of the story/looty areas have respawning enemies though so I just shared my approach for minimizing interaction with the respawning mobs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm not arguing you, I don't enjoy respawning enemies even when it leads to EXP grind let alone in a shooter. But I can see why they did it: to make sure you never run out of resources and to have packs of mobs to try out your new arsenal whenever you want. None of the story/looty areas have respawning enemies though so I just shared my approach for minimizing interaction with the respawning mobs.
The thing is that outside has nice graphics and design and feel, it was kind of cool exploring it but as soon as you enter areas where they got infinity repair bots it loses all fun and ruins the whole thing. I could not force myself to suffer through that shit to get to next area where shit does not respawn.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You don't have to fight every enemy you see, guys. It's pretty easy to avoid combat for the most part.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
It's basically a platformer set in 'Candyland' with occasional fighting. Big Sonic vibe. They took the Limbo level from the main game and turned it into a DLC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom