Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atomic Heart - open world first-person shooter set in an alternate universe Soviet Union

JDR13

Arcane
I was starting to think this was vaporware.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Wait there are actually people who think this won't be a complete buggy disappointment? They wanted to release this last year and you can clearly see that they aren't in Pre Alpha yet. This is just the 100th attempt from a Russian no-name studio to make a AAA shooter every single one of them failed because the teams were over-ambitious and lacked any professionalism.

Latelistener

Arcane
Judging from what we've read from the fired team, it won't be good. It probably won't be at all.

Latelistener

Arcane
What's he doing there anyway?
He lives is Russia I think, after marrying someone.

1Bee.png

PrettyDeadman

Wait there are actually people who think this won't be a complete buggy disappointment? They wanted to release this last year and you can clearly see that they aren't in Pre Alpha yet. This is just the 100th attempt from a Russian no-name studio to make a AAA shooter every single one of them failed because the teams were over-ambitious and lacked any professionalism.
If shitty western AAA devs can make AAA shooters, what makes you think a Russian no-name studio wont be able to make an AAA shooter?

Well, combat doesn't seem like clunky garbage in this Ruskiyshock anymore, previously hits didn't even look like they connected. So at least an improvement there. If the overall game is not shit remains to be seen. Presence of QTEs is never a good sign.

JDR13

Arcane
We'll see. As history has shown many times, it's easier to make a good trailer than it is to make a good game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
It still looks like a fake game made of random assets thrown together. Also they were pretty focused on ripping off from Bioshock and Fallout 4 before, now it looks like they are focused on stealing from Prey. I mean that enemy looks exactly like the typhon, and even the music playing when it's near the player is remarkably similar to the sound design from Prey.

PrettyDeadman

It still looks like a fake game made of random assets thrown together. Also they were pretty focused on ripping off from Bioshock and Fallout 4 before, now it looks like they are focused on stealing from Prey. I mean that enemy looks exactly like the typhon, and even the music playing when it's near the player is remarkably similar to the sound design from Prey.
Sounds based as fuck.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Ripping off is cool so long as the end result is cool. This end result looks like a unity asset game but with some higher level graphics.
You focus too much on graphics. Do the strange enemy behaviors and weapon designs not pique your curiosity in the slightest?

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Mick Gordon: "I'm not going to work with Bethesda again after they have scammed me with Doom Eternal ost!"
Also Mick Gordon: works with shady russians

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Ripping off is cool so long as the end result is cool. This end result looks like a unity asset game but with some higher level graphics.
You focus too much on graphics. Do the strange enemy behaviors and weapon designs not pique your curiosity in the slightest?
No, not really. I don't care about things being strange for the sake of it, it's boring to me. And really nothing in the game seems particularly unique for that matter. Abandoned soviet stuff is trendy right now. Retro stuff is as well so they just combined the two (already seen in stuff like You Are Empty anyway and that had a far more focused visual design to it even with giant chickens). The weapon designs? It looks like they range from generic AK47 to some kind of spinning sawblade like the crafted weapons from Dying Light? So I have no clue what to make of what they are going for.

My point about the graphics is that the game has a level of graphical fidelity that you would expect from a AAA game, but everything else about the game screams lower budget messy production, which makes the look of the game particularly jarring. It seems like they have a bunch of people producing assets without a director. Since you know the point of an art director is to try and give a game a unified art direction, based around some central aesthetic vision, which this completely lacks. It reeks of them trying to emulate other games as they are released as well, like what I pointed out with taking stuff from Prey because that was popular, after they started out aping on Fallout 4/Bioshock type stuff. Which again point to there being no strong underlying vision for the game.

It seems like overall the kind of visuals that impress people with middling taste because "wow it's so crazy!" but really there is nothing there.

When going back through the thread to look at some of the footage again it turns out you have already said basically the same thing that I mean?
Art design seems all over the place, the three different weapons looked

like they were pulled out of entirely different games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom