Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

DraQ

Arcane
It loses a lot of its effect when you have a D2 or D3 loot system. The great thing about quests in D1 was that they gave you powerful rewards that could last you most of the game. Arkaine's Valor could literally last the entire game from Dlvl 5 to Dlvl 20. The Undead Crown was one of the only ways to gain life stealing (and the only way to have it not on a weapon, making you much more versatile). The unique jewelry could easily be the only good ones you find the entire game. You could finish the game and see how it shaped your character in the end, D3 is the exact opposite of that.
This.
All this time and I only learned of various difficulty levels in Diablo today … Then again some combinations of monsters can be pretty challenging for some characters, and since you never knew what you were gonna find … My only regret with Diablo sequels and its clones is that the combat has been copied, the characters development has been improved, the loot has been made lootier, but we lost the quest and monster randomisation. I don't mind losing the level randomisation much, but not knowing what quests — and its associated reward — you'll get is fun, and I always dread the time when I change to a new section and see that I may have hard monsters for my current class.

And this.

In D1 you characters was made by your decisions in response to loot and enemies.

Good stuff was rare, quests were randomized, enemies could rape you in ways you couldn't predict from the start and you couldn't just raid bosses over and over for phat lewt.

Actually it could, though it was a bug. Start a multiplayer nightmare game, quit, then start/restart a singleplayer game and it will be in nightmare. Starting a character in Nightmare was perfectly feasible in D1 and a good challenge for a good player.
Don't remember, might have been Hellfire - it allows explicit selection right from the start.
That's all well and good, but an uber-weapon last from lvl5-lvl20 wouldn't be very appropriate in an online game
And that's when shit went wrong.

Besides, the obvious way to fixing randomization is to make more of it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I dunno why but it seems that when I reached Hell I almost always had the fucking knights with the rogue and the fucking succubi with the warrior. Only once I think I got the succubi with the rogue and they fell pretty fast, else you have to chase them with the warrior, aggro more and, well … Then again the knights with the warrior can be hot too.

And hell, I must have done 3 games before I finally had the vipers in one of my game. For some reason they were never picked before and suddenly I find a new type of monster in the caves! Monsters that you may not meet at all during the game is a rather cool feature!

Actually it could, though it was a bug. Start a multiplayer nightmare game, quit, then start/restart a singleplayer game and it will be in nightmare. Starting a character in Nightmare was perfectly feasible in D1 and a good challenge for a good player.
Don't remember, might have been Hellfire - it allows explicit selection right from the start.

IIRC Hellfire added it but it also locked it to the character's level so you couldn't start a lvl 1 character in Nightmare without using the bug.

That's all well and good, but an uber-weapon last from lvl5-lvl20 wouldn't be very appropriate in an online game
And that's when shit went wrong.

That's not the issue, Blizzard just makes bad games now. Look at Dark Souls/Demons Souls where you can pick your weapon in the first 10% of the game and spend the other 90% upgrading it. It adds a lot more personality to the game when you are slaying something with the lovingly polished forged remnant of a boss's soul that took you a dozen tries to beat rather than the weapon with the biggest numbers and the most magic effects that dropped off nameless enemy #5824 that was killed offscreen along with 50 of his friends by the AoE spell you spam every second.

aris

Arcane
That's not the issue, Blizzard just makes bad games now.
Said about every game developer, every writer, every film maker and every band that have ever been notable. "They used to be good, but now they suck!". Or the hipster variant: "They used to be good, but then they sold out, and now they SUCK!"

DraQ

Arcane
IIRC Hellfire added it but it also locked it to the character's level so you couldn't start a lvl 1 character in Nightmare without using the bug.
Odd, because I clearly remember starting new game with lvl 1 rogue, then lulz after one zombie yielded 2lvls worth of exp.

That's not the issue, Blizzard just makes bad games now.
But it was already bad in D2. Raid themepark is antithetical to what Diablo should be.

Stabwound

Arcane
Haha, oh wow.

9hGvN.jpg

I wonder, can they actually detect something like this? I know they've implemented some strict security measures to prevent duping but to go as far as to ban for using the blur/bloom garbage removing mod is bullshit.

aris

Arcane
Bah. That's a lazy catch-all anti-cheating measure. Darkd3 actually looked quite interesting, but not I'm going to get banned if I try to use it :x

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Next up: widescreen resolutions are banned because they let you see more of the game than people with 4:3 monitors.

Odd, because I clearly remember starting new game with lvl 1 rogue, then lulz after one zombie yielded 2lvls worth of exp.

I thought Hellfire required a minimum character level, but maybe it was only the original game.

But it was already bad in D2. Raid themepark is antithetical to what Diablo should be.

I said Blizzard was bad now. I didn't say it started this second. They've been on a strong downward path after SC:BW. The only game that has been mechanically sound since is WC3, which unfortunately also fucked up the lore like... well, it fucked up WC2's lore as badly as WoW further fucked up WC3's.

Next up: widescreen resolutions are banned because they let you see more of the game than people with 4:3 monitors.

I don't even get why we have this incompetence anymore. Is it that hard to scale the viewing field for an equal area either way? SC2 was completely unplayable unless you bought a shitty 16:9 monitor (though that only made it moderately playable).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I wonder if Blizzard will buy me a faster Internet connection so I'm not put at an unfair advantage next to people who have phat tubes. :( No, wait they'll just make everyone lag. GENIUS

I wonder if Blizzard will buy me a faster Internet connection so I'm not put at an unfair advantage next to people who have phat tubes. :( No, wait they'll just make everyone lag. GENIUS

:brofist:

Hopefully Blizzard will give me money so I'm not disadvantaged compared to people who pay Blizzard for imba items. Oh wait.

joeydohn

Savant

I don't even get why we have this incompetence anymore. Is it that hard to scale the viewing field for an equal area either way? SC2 was completely unplayable unless you bought a shitty 16:9 monitor (though that only made it moderately playable).

Letterbox_Bourdon.jpg

fuzz

Liturgist
I'm not arguing that it can't be done, creating a nightmare game is restricted by level. Getting one character to pass those in order to start the game on higher difficulty is not right away, now is it?

GreyViper

Prophet
Haha, oh wow.

I wonder, can they actually detect something like this? I know they've implemented some strict security measures to prevent duping but to go as far as to ban for using the blur/bloom garbage removing mod is bullshit.
Im sure unofficial offline D3 will come out soon enough and then we can play it without any restrictions. And I also found Darkd3 interesting so I think we shouldnt worry much about this. But the main problem is I lack intrest about this game and besides you know that there will be a expansion that extends the ending etc...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Welp, World of Warcraft was pirated, I don't see why the pirate community is so negative, if the game's popular enough someone will find some way to crack it.

aris

Arcane
World of warcraft was cracked to work adequately on on cracked private servers. I predict that diablo 3 will never be satisfactory cracked, if there will ever be released a crack at all, keeping encrypted game files server side is a pretty damn strong DRM.

Mortmal

Arcane
So seeing the giga thread , everyone pre ordered the massive decline ? Could be ffaster to ask who diddnt.

aris

Arcane
I haven't, there are no pre-order exclusives ( :incline: ) . Don't feel the need to buy it before they day it is out.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
World of warcraft was cracked to work adequately on on cracked private servers. I predict that diablo 3 will never be satisfactory cracked, if there will ever be released a crack at all, keeping encrypted game files server side is a pretty damn strong DRM.

And how is that different from a WoW server?

bonescraper

Bah. That's a lazy catch-all anti-cheating measure. Darkd3 actually looked quite interesting, but not I'm going to get banned if I try to use it :x
I pretty much guarantee you won't get banned for using that filter. It's not a program, and it doesn't alter the game files in any way. Otherwise, your video card drivers would get you banned as well :lol:

I'm going to use it just for that sharpen effect. It actually shows some fucking textures underneath all that blur.

aris

Arcane
I don't really know. Nor do I have much knowledge about exactly how good these servers work compared to the official ones. Doing some searching, I have seen no-one being able to crack diablo 3 beta in such a way that even monsters will attack you: They just stand around. And the beta has been out for months now. Also, I think that when a pirate site says it can't be done, then it probably can't be done, and extrapolations based on WoW, won't change that, I think.
I pretty much guarantee you won't get banned for using that filter. It's not a program, and it doesn't alter the game files in any way. Otherwise, your video card drivers would get you banned as well :lol:

I'm going to use it just for that sharpen effect. It actually shows some fucking textures underneath all that blur.
Maybe you are right, I don't have the technical know-how on this anyway. You might get a similar effect from turning down the gamma on your screen too :smug:

I don't really know. Nor do I have much knowledge about exactly how good these servers work compared to the official ones. Doing some searching, I have seen no-one being able to crack diablo 3 beta in such a way that even monsters will attack you: They just stand around. And the beta has been out for months now. Also, I think that when a pirate site says it can't be done, then it probably can't be done, and extrapolations based on WoW, won't change that, I think.

It helps a lot that the game is bad enough that no one would want to crack it.

There's no difference at all from the WoW or the D3 system, its just a matter of time and effort.

So seeing the giga thread , everyone pre ordered the massive decline ? Could be ffaster to ask who diddnt.

Couldn't even be bothered to download the demo.

aris

Arcane
How do you know? (And seriously? Nobody wants to crack it? :codexisfor:I don't know who you are trying to fool)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom