Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Just what I thought then, just talking out of your ass. That comment from a pirate site is from a regular user, not anyone from the scene, if WoW could be cracked, with the data stored server side, so can D3.

Besides, why waste time cracking the beta of the game? If you find a good way of doing it Blizzard will have plenty of room to try to override your method, that semi-functional beta crack was probably made by some more amateurish cracker and it should be proof that a crack just needs some more work to be functional.

aris

Arcane
Yes. I am indeed talking out of my ass (speculating as it also might be called), but so are you.

Your estimation of other people's expertise is as bad as your own.

WoW and D3 use exactly the same method of storing AI routines serverside. They will be cracked in exactly the same way.

aris

Arcane
Again. How the hell do you know? You seem to have some amazing insight into the secret DRM-plans of blizzard, that transcends the knowledge of any human alive. Bah. This discussion is stupid to no end.

If you understood anything about how PCs work you would know. Blizzard can't DRM away the packets the they are sending to your computer, that's what would be emulated in a crack.

aris

Arcane
Riight. Anyways, time will show if a working crack will appear within a year or two. Then we will see. Until then, it's just stupid speculations, by clueless people.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yes. I am indeed talking out of my ass (speculating as it also might be called), but so are you.

Difference being that you're denying any previous experience dealing with this kind of problem as appliable here and taking some nobody's opinion as a statement of the cracking scene about the viability of it.

Also, nice job editing that.

aris

Arcane

Difference being that you're denying any previous experience dealing with this kind of problem as appliable here and taking some nobody's opinion as a statement of the cracking scene about the viability of it.
You're attacking a straw man. I'm not denying any previous experience of cracking games that have superficially similar DRMs as applicable, I'm saying that it does not constitute proof that it can be done. I think it won't be done within any relevant time frame, you might think so. Both are speculations, and both are fine, time will show who is right, now let's leave it at that.
Also, nice job editing that.
Thanks!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Actually it could, though it was a bug. Start a multiplayer nightmare game, quit, then start/restart a singleplayer game and it will be in nightmare. Starting a character in Nightmare was perfectly feasible in D1 and a good challenge for a good player.
Don't remember, might have been Hellfire - it allows explicit selection right from the start.

IIRC

You don't.

vpktjl.jpg

20qdnbb.jpg

24bw48w.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I pretty much guarantee you won't get banned for using that filter. It's not a program, and it doesn't alter the game files in any way. Otherwise, your video card drivers would get you banned as well :lol:

Are you sure about that? Because *something* needs to change somewhere and that's what their Guardian or whatever program is supposed to detect. Maphacks didn't alter the game files in any way either but they could still detect you using it through the modified buffer or some crap.

Yeah, it's not like Blizzard has someone monitoring your stuff to see whether it's a cheat or not. It's an automated system, if its detecting something it bans you.

Remember people getting banned in SC2 due to cheating in singleplayer? Blizzard basically doesn't care, most of their fanbase will buy the game again and those not banned will back them when they say anything that modifies the game is bannable.

Actually it could, though it was a bug. Start a multiplayer nightmare game, quit, then start/restart a singleplayer game and it will be in nightmare. Starting a character in Nightmare was perfectly feasible in D1 and a good challenge for a good player.
Don't remember, might have been Hellfire - it allows explicit selection right from the start.

IIRC

You don't.

The original definitely required a minimum character level for higher difficulties (lvl 20 for nightmare I think). Never played Hellfire all that much.

GreyViper

Prophet
I may hate blizztards even more than I hated bethtards when oblivious came out.
Not sure if its possible.
Its a brave new world DraQ, nothing is as it was anymore. Tough I don't think we should hate this, knowing that lots of good developers are still in Blizzard. Activision/Vivendi on the other hand is another story.

But back to Diablo I wonder how the chapters will turn out. In D2 first and second chapters felt best later ones not so much, swamp being annoying and hell boring.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah, it's not like Blizzard has someone monitoring your stuff to see whether it's a cheat or not. It's an automated system, if its detecting something it bans you.

The original definitely required a minimum character level for higher difficulties (lvl 20 for nightmare I think). Never played Hellfire all that much.

On the first, again, this is how I understood Blizzard detected people using MH with. It had to inject some code into memory or some futuristic hacking technobabble like that, a difference which could be recognized by their detection protocol and therefore ban. I'm really hoping their method didn't consist of logging into public games and banning whoever made it through Act 3 in less than two hours or something.

As for the second part, you are right about the original Diablo having requirements for higher difficulties; Hellfire, which that quote I quoted you quoting was referencing, however, doesn't.

Looking at my response now, it sounds unnecessarily aggressive which wasn't my purpose.

Basically most hacks modify the Diablo 3 program in memory to use new code that provides new functionality. Hack detection algorithms periodically compare protected sections of code to make sure their checksums match with what is supposed to be the unmodified code. Hacks then get by this by finding the detection algorithm and changing that, which Blizzard then changes periodically or has a secondary algorithm checking the detection algorithm. Then there are a bunch of other monkey wrenches that can be thrown in to complicate things further for people but it pretty much boils down to that.

Any mod modifying Diablo 3 code is going to get detected the same way IF the section they modify is the protected part. Whether it is or not is entirely up to Blizzard and how hard they want to be.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
JqaxA.jpg

IT BEGINS

(also screw Blizzard for not getting me a review copy, seriously if the stuff I write sells them even 10 copies is that not worth it?)

Black

Arcane

Szanowny Kliencie,
miło nam poinformować, że Twoje zamówienie powinno być gotowe do odbioru w salonie empik Lubin Cuprum (SP) w poniedziałek, 14 maja 2012

Get mad, codexfags.

aris

Arcane
This foreign language does indeed make my seethe with uncontrollable rage! RAAAARRR

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, it's better than preordering ME3. And at least all the apologists seem to be newfags, that makes me a bit happier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom