Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AuroraRL

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Hi there, folks.

Recently we've released our game on Steam Greenlight. And obviously it would be great if you guys will check our game out there and maybe vote for it.

As usual - if you have some questions - feel free to ask

Here's the link to greenlight page:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=594627042

Even though I don't believe in motherland when it comes to vidya, anything Prospector-like is a blessing. I hope you finish the game, men.

Thanks, men. We hope too.
Upvoted ;) SpaceRLs are too few. Keep up the good work!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Right, I can finally play this game. It crashed a lot on my previous laptop for whatever reason, but now it's all good.

So I started an engrish version, and while the translation itself seems to be ok at first sight (although most games use "artifact" instead of "artefact"), the text borders are fucked up. Every second dialogue window looks like this:

cbdrojyfqb.jpg

osymutcxtt.jpg

You might want to change font or some other configuration. Good thing I can also play rus version.

Anyway, one question boggles me a bit. Why is diagonal movement forbidden? Both on surface and in space. Is there a particular reason behind this design? Coz it's rather restricting and unnatural for a roguelike game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Also, since your game has passed Steam Greenlight, it basically became an early access game, right? I think it deserves more recognition, being one of the few (probably the only one) attempts to evolve Prospector RL mechanics. And most importantly, it has a chance to become the only Russian rpg in human history that doesn't suck.

JarlFrank Jaesun can you move this thread to RPG general, please?

:M

I mean, the 0.5 alpha is fully playable and full of content, why keep it here in Workshop?

GenLee

Novice
the text borders are fucked up

As said our lead-programmer, we had already fixed this in first steam version for early access. It will be in store during 2-3 weeks.

Why is diagonal movement forbidden?

And as again he said, it's just game feature. We do not see the sense in diagonal movement.

Thanks for feedback and for your opinion. It motivates.

index.php

Arcane
The developer of AuroraRL, a 2D space exploration game has thrown in the towel
The difficulties of game development and Early Access have hit another developer, with Sun Dogs throwing in the towel with AuroraRL. It's not all bad news though.

Writing an announcement on Steam, the developer noted how they understimated the effort required to make a game of the scale they wanted to. Not only that, they overestimated the amount of money they would make.

This isn't the end though, since the code is all up on Bitbucket under the Apache license. When I asked the developer about the assets (graphics and so on) they said "Assets can not be used in commercial projects, though if you really like and want to use them this is negotiable.".

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll just copy-paste my thoughts on this from the gamingonlinux thread:

That's the main reason I almost never buy Early Access games. Better just to wishlist and follow its development than to spend money on something that will never be finished.
Too many games that just end up in early access limbo, because some clever people think they can finance their further development with "early adapters".

Lesson: Gather funds BEFORE development, if you can in any way. If you can't, maybe think about if you really should be developing a game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The developer of AuroraRL, a 2D space exploration game has thrown in the towel
The difficulties of game development and Early Access have hit another developer, with Sun Dogs throwing in the towel with AuroraRL. It's not all bad news though.

Writing an announcement on Steam, the developer noted how they understimated the effort required to make a game of the scale they wanted to. Not only that, they overestimated the amount of money they would make.

This isn't the end though, since the code is all up on Bitbucket under the Apache license. When I asked the developer about the assets (graphics and so on) they said "Assets can not be used in commercial projects, though if you really like and want to use them this is negotiable.".
Was auroraRL V0.5.0 the last version of this? The Wiki says 0.4.3

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah! Archived site: Here!

Search
Main menu
Skip to primary content
Skip to secondary content
home
Download
Group in VK
About the game
FAQ
The authors
Java for each
Posted on March 14, 2016 by smirnovegorv
In Java game development, there is one unpleasant stage that few people think about in advance. Namely, how will customers launch this game?

image_gallery

In principle, developers of any desktop applications in this language should have asked the same question, but it so happened that Java has not become a popular language for such software. As a result, its fate is all sorts of server applications (and it’s not a problem to install all the necessary software on the server in advance) and Android, on which it is available out of the box. But on home computers, many do not have it. If earlier it still somehow fluttered, tried to break through as a language for browser applets or for GUI applications, now it's all practically dead. And the JRE is simply not on the computers of most players. As a result, an attempt to launch the game turns into a quickly closing black console window (with an error like “java not found”, which cannot be read in time) and a bunch of complaints to the game developers.

In this article, we will provide a small overview of the solutions we have tried to deal with this problem. Continue reading →

Category: Uncategorized | Tags: development, programming, steam | Leave a reply
Some conclusions about Greenlight
Posted on February 19, 2016 by smirnovegorv
one
So, our greenlight is already over, now we can draw some conclusions, perhaps they will be useful to those who are just planning to go there. In principle, in one form or another, all this is already on the Internet, but we still decided to sum up our own experience.

steamstat2

AUDIENCE
This has already been said more than once in other articles, but still many do not understand this. It is useless to enter the greenlight with a new project that no one knows about, without having an audience of players. Continue reading →

Category: Uncategorized | Tags: steam | 1 Reply
Steam Achievements
Posted on February 2, 2016 by smirnovegorv
What is a game today without achievements? But coming up with achievements is not a trivial task, especially if you want to avoid boring, stamped achievements like “kill 1000 enemies”.

achievement

Suggest your ideas for achievements in the topic https://vk.com/aurorarl?w=wall-71958249_2024 or in the comments to this post, the best of them will be included in the game!

Category: Uncategorized | Tags: features, steam | Leave a reply
Aurora RL on Steam
Posted on January 22, 2016 by smirnovegorv
So we did it! Our game has passed the greenlight and now we are preparing a version for posting on Steam.

steam

Thanks to everyone who voted for us!

Category: Uncategorized | Tags: steam | Leave a reply
Aurora on your shelf
Posted on January 16, 2016 by smirnovegorv
It turns out that the player's ship can be easily assembled from Lego (thanks to our subscriber):

Category: Uncategorized | Leave a reply
green light
Posted on January 15, 2016 by smirnovegorv
We've finally released our game to Steam Greenlight!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=594627042

greenlight_browse_logo

You know what to do.

Category: Uncategorized | Tags: steam | Leave a reply
Posted on November 28, 2015 by smirnovegorv
The new version is ready.

What's new:
1) New tutorial - at the start of the game, you can choose to complete a small training mission
2) New quests - "Legacy" and "Quarantine"
3) Modding support. You can learn more about how to make a mod on the wiki - http://ru.aurora-roguelike.wikia.com/wiki/Quickstart_to_create_mods
4) Humanity upgrade system - now the player can distribute the points received for research between three branches, allowing to open various improvements both for the ship and for humanity.

Installer for windows (before installation, it is recommended to remove the old version, the installer offers to update it, but it seems that it does not always manage to do it correctly):
https://bitbucket.org/e_smirnov/aurora/downloads/AuroraRL_windows_0_5_0.exe
Cross platform zip version:
https://bitbucket.org/e_smirnov/aurora/downloads/Aurora-0.5.0.zip

You can unsubscribe about bugs and ideas about new features of this version here and on the bug tracker https://bitbucket.org/e_smirnov/aurora/issues

Category: Uncategorized | Tags: release | 6 Replies
POPULAR POSTS AND PAGES
About
Java for each
Aurora and the Space Rangers
FAQ
Some conclusions about Greenlight
USEFUL POSTS
How can you help the project
How to report bugs the right way

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Version 0.5.5
Posted on December 4, 2016 by smirnovegorv
We haven't had much time to develop the game lately, but we got together and released a small update 0.5.5.

henry_smile

What's new:

Added new emote portraits for officers. Gordon will no longer report on a black hole sucking in a ship, with a poker face and complete calm on his face.
Updated Steam API version, hopefully this will fix launch issues for some players.
Fixed a bug with endless replays of the meteor shower event
Added a marker on the global map showing systems with astrodrones.
We continue to work on the continuation of the storyline, so the next update will already contain new quests and the beginning of the second third of the game. In the near future we will reveal plans for the development of the plot. Stay in touch!

First year sales statistics
Posted on April 8, 2017 by smirnovegorv
Today marks one year since the release of our game on Steam!
Here are some statistics collected over the year, which we are often asked about by other novice developers who are just preparing to sell their own game.
Under the cut infographics.
aurora-1-year_1034545_85cbca676434cfbb5f44eb17b7b4e440dc3fdf74
It was noteworthy that, on average, less than half of those who bought the game played the game (judging by the passage of the training mission, although of course, probably not all of them passed it), while about 15 %, and 7% reached the end. According to the guys from Dagestan Technologies, for their other games, the numbers are about the same, that is, it's not about the genre and not about a particular game.

During the year, the game brought in about 10 thousand dollars, but after deducting all the commissions, only half reached the team, i.e. about a thousand dollars per person per year. Not a bad result for an indie game without ads, and a good salary increase, but, alas, it does not allow you to play the game in full-time mode, leaving your main job.

It is curious that if the first six months were bought mainly only on sales (clear peaks are visible on the chart, the rest of the time it hangs around zero), then in the second six months the picture changed and small but stable sales went on all the time. At the same time, the distribution by country has also changed - if for the first six months they bought almost exclusively from the Russian Federation, now the United States (and suddenly China) has almost caught up with the Russian Federation in terms of monthly sales.

All in all, a year has gone by like this. Thanks to everyone who bought our game and supported the development!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why wasn't this page linked first? HERE!

Now just to find thd dl link. I don't see it on steam.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, even the links on (gags) Facebook go no where.
D1jxkR5.jpg

Gordon Freeman?

The only Aurora I find on steam is this waifu bait.

I ever get the 0.5.5 its getting archived in a better place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom