Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seems like they bit way more than they could chew, mid-size studio has no business simultaneously working on big space RPG and another big fantasy RPG, while also having Grounded and Sawyer's "suck diz medieval nutz" dream project.
Obsidian has always been a two-project studio. Grounded and Pentiment are garage-dev-sized efforts with small teams.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Grounded may have started small but it's been a surprise hit, it's got more positive reviews than both Pillows combined. :5/5:

https://youtu.be/gNPEorcH270
I'm sure Sawyer is thrilled

It's not my cup of tea game-wise, but I have to say I really like the stylized-but-hyper-detailed models. I got a taste for that in Dungeons of Nahaelbuek, and I think it's probably something most people like. (What I mean is, like for example a knapsack that's cartoonish but bounces on the hip physics-wise, feels more satisfying than a "realistic" but static knapsack. Of course for me the best would be a hyper-realistic and bouncy knapsack, but I appreciate the fact that cartoonish graphics are easier to "read", so having the compromise set between cartoonishness and realism at that point - having some satisfying detail, but having it cartoonish - is a pretty good design compromise, I think.)

Harthwain

Magister
It's not my cup of tea game-wise, but I have to say I really like the stylized-but-hyper-detailed models. I got a taste for that in Dungeons of Nahaelbuek, and I think it's probably something most people like. (What I mean is, like for example a knapsack that's cartoonish but bounces on the hip physics-wise, feels more satisfying than a "realistic" but static knapsack. Of course for me the best would be a hyper-realistic and bouncy knapsack, but I appreciate the fact that cartoonish graphics are easier to "read", so having the compromise set between cartoonishness and realism at that point - having some satisfying detail, but having it cartoonish - is a pretty good design compromise, I think.)
I like the "you're so small that everything is big" idea.

Reminds me of Army Men: RTS (2002), Airfix Dogfighter and other such games.

Delterius

Arcane
Grounded may have started small but it's been a surprise hit, it's got more positive reviews than both Pillows combined. :5/5:

https://youtu.be/gNPEorcH270
I'm sure Sawyer is thrilled
i love how baby brennecke went from being destroyed by pillars live to saving the studio

meanwhile sawyer is making 10 million dollars a year designing a ruleset for his friends

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, Grounded ain't my cup of tea either, but gotta admit they hit a bullseye with those visuals, it really fits the setting like a glove.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, Pillows also looks damn sweet, at least until you start reading the text...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Although Parker is not involved, maybe AVOWED will share the same fate as Stormlands.
Seems unlikely. Stormlands was never officially announced. Avowed's already been announced as Obsidian's next big thing, it's too big to fail. An outright cancellation would necessitate a culling of Obsidian's leadership.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Microsoft is far past "too big to fail" territory, these subdivision have unlimited funding to do whatever they want.
There are limits to MS's patience though, like when Obsidian (and only Obsidian) got a designated babysitter after Parker was pulled off.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Chris Avellone left Obsidian.
Josh Sawyer isn't working on Avowed. He wrote on his tumblr that he is "advising on it" and "giving feedback on it", but isn't working on the project, and instead is making his historical medieval quest game.

So the two celebrity Obsidian guys aren't on this job. Is it worth to put the Obsidian hype behind it? Bit like hyping a game made by Bioware in 2022, because ITS BIOWARE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom